• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

I speak too slowly

jamesaldrin

Hey. People tell me that I speak too slowly. I have definitely noticed it myself now that they have pointed it out.

I even videotaped myself having a conversation, and was shocked when I watched how I talked so slowly.

I wasn't always like this though. I slowed down in the past year or two. I think that I'm tired from living life. Or maybe there's something that happened to my brain. Maybe I moved down in functioning on the Autism scale. Maybe I have brain damage from something I experienced last year.

A lot of the time, it feels as if I'm inside a pool filled with honey. The honey is slowing down my movements and speaking. Sometimes people tell me that I walk slowly too.

On occasion, however, when I'm happy more than usual, I move and talk at a normal pace. At least I think I do.

I will find a way to recharge myself. I think that if I become happy with my life, then I'll stop moving so slow. Do you guys have any advice? Have you ever experienced this?

Hey. People tell me that I speak too slowly. I have definitely noticed it myself now that they have pointed it out.

I even videotaped myself having a conversation, and was shocked when I watched how I talked so slowly.

I wasn't always like this though. I slowed down in the past year or two. I think that I'm tired from living life. Or maybe there's something that happened to my brain. Maybe I moved down in functioning on the Autism scale. Maybe I have brain damage from something I experienced last year.

A lot of the time, it feels as if I'm inside a pool filled with honey. The honey is slowing down my movements and speaking. Sometimes people tell me that I walk slowly too.

On occasion, however, when I'm happy more than usual, I move and talk at a normal pace. At least I think I do.

I will find a way to recharge myself. I think that if I become happy with my life, then I'll stop moving so slow. Do you guys have any advice? Have you ever experienced this?
sometimes that happens to me too i speak to slowly and i ramble on and its hard for me to keep talking because of my mild autism.

I always have a problem being aware of depression exerting more of an influence on me than is healthy. A shrink I used to see would pick up on it quickly based on my speaking softly and slowly; do you think that might be the case for you?

I always have a problem being aware of depression exerting more of an influence on me than is healthy. A shrink I used to see would pick up on it quickly based on my speaking softly and slowly; do you think that might be the case for you?
Yeah, I have a suspicion that my issue is depression.

autistic functioning means you have an intellectual capacity above or below a certain point-and this is what determines how your autism presents; your ability to do things independently for yourself eg; communication,language skills,personal care,living independantly,getting dressed, cooking, academic skills etc-being aspie you cant move down the spectrum as you have a particular type of autism that is defined by being high functioning.
if you were under the low functioning spectrum you would need significant support with communication,language,personal care,behavior and so forth you would need 24 hr support,and you would be of a low academic level.
however,people on the spectrum can have traits get worse and get better according to stressors,changes or environmental factors in their life, even medications can affect your speech and so can conditions like depression and bipolar.

if its really bothering you,perhaps you would benefit from a few sessions of speech therapy.

Yeah, I have a suspicion that my issue is depression.
I'm sorry to hear that knowing first hand, I've been dealing with depression most of my life,but at the moment, it has gotten to the point of agoraphobia, for about a year or so,finally I waved my hands in the air and gave into taking medication, a week or so ago, so as I struggle I keep trying to move forward as best I can

I usually speak fast because I've come to expect being cut off or interrupted. If I talked slowly, no one would tell me, because they'd be too busy never letting me finish and enjoying hearing themselves talk. I'm always amazed when someone speaks slowly and takes long pauses, and yet everyone else waits for them to finish.

I usually speak fast because I've come to expect being cut off or interrupted. If I talked slowly, no one would tell me, because they'd be too busy never letting me finish and enjoying hearing themselves talk. I'm always amazed when someone speaks slowly and takes long pauses, and yet everyone else waits for them to finish.
when i used to speak with a communication aid,i was constantly cut off- people would fill in the blanks before the aid finished speaking and it frustrated me no end,as a fairly verbal autistic now i do not let people cut me off i will argue my point if its my turn,its very rude when your interrupted.

New Threads

Top Bottom