• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

I need help understanding some temporary sensory wierdness.

tfwo

V.I.P Member
I've had this strange sensory phenomena occur numerous times throughout my life, but never as intensely as I feel it now. It feels as if my whole body weighs many hundreds of pounds. The air that I breath in feels extremely heavy as well, and it feels almost like I am breathing water. I even feel the heaviness of the air around me, and it's weight is pushing in on me. Everything just feels massive. Sometime when I feel like this it might only last tens of minute, at other times I might feel like that for days. I don't know what this is, or if and how it might relate to AS. I would like to hear what others have to say about this, or other similar experiences.

Yes, it sounds very familiar. A sensation I've only had relative to one thing a few times in my life.

I'd ask you this in total seriousness. Have you ever experienced anything which you might consider contact with what might be considered as paranormal?

When this occurs do you feel like your energy is being drained?

Last edited:
Yes, it sounds very familiar. A sensation I've only had relative to one thing a few times in my life.

I'd ask you this in total seriousness. Have you ever experienced anything which you might consider contact with what might be considered as paranormal?

When this occurs do you feel like your energy is being drained?

Yes, I have definitely had experiences that would be considered paranormal. Although I never recall feeling like my energy is drained, my experience of these things has usually left me feeling energized, but somewhat frighten on a few occasions. Is there something in particular that you are getting at?

Yes, I have definitely had experiences that would be considered paranormal. Although I never recall feeling like my energy is drained, my experience of these things has usually left me feeling energized, but somewhat frighten on a few occasions. Is there something in particular that you are getting at?

Only that in my own case I've experienced what you've described, but with the sensation of my energy being quickly drained to a point where I must get off my feet.

Something that only happens to me when I'm in close proximity with something paranormal for a sustained amount of time. Usually a matter of minutes. An experience I've had on occasion being involved in paranormal investigations. Though it's something I haven't done in a few years.

Predominantly because I got sidetracked into studying my own autism.

I'm not saying you have a paranormal attachment, but it's just a possibility based on your sensory issues. Then again it may not be related to the paranormal at all. I can only say those are issues I've only dealt with when in proximity with something paranormal on select occasions.

Last edited:
A possibly interesting side note, I have always considered myself paranormal. I suspect that my growing up undiagnosed has probably contributed to that rather unusual self image.

Yes, I can related to this. I don't have the same experience but what I get occasionally is distortions of my proprioceptive sense. My hand might feel metres away from me as if it's like that pinching tool on graphic manipulation software, bending parts of a picture in strange ways.

I have certainly had paranormal experiences.

However, on this plane, the tremendous heaviness is part of my overclocking my brain. I think my brain runs out of "brain chemicals" and then everything is much more difficult to manage.

Yep. If I understand what you are referring to, it seems a very heavy feeling, a sort of shutdown. For me, this is a type of/level of shutdown which results in a draggy, brain-foggy, heavy-limbed torpor, a sort of stupor in which everything feels thick, sloggy, hard to move through.

It is caused by brain overwork, overwhelm. The brain is now on "energy-save mode."

What can bring it on, for me anyway:
Emotional dysregulation (due to a difficult therapy session, loss of loved one, dealing with a diagnosis, etc.)
Task performance overload (taking neuropsych testing, IQ testing, running too many errands with the bus, etc.)
Sensory hoopla draining the brain (a mall, crying baby at a restaurant, etc.)

These alone, or any combination of these trigger deep, heavy-limbed torpor shutdowns.

If anything taxes me further in thyou s state, Autistics c catatonia (being stuck, unable to move or speak for a while) is the result.

Solitude heals. Good sensory input such as swimming, hiking in nature, swinging on a swing set, or bouncing on a trampoline can hop clear this state. Stay hydrated. More solitude. Go into your sanctuary, both in terms of physical success cal space, and into your inner world, and find your peace. Meditate if you are able. Eat simple foods that bring you happiness. More solitude and quietude to decompress.
Give it time.... and give the time, some time.

Yes, I can related to this. I don't have the same experience but what I get occasionally is distortions of my proprioceptive sense. My hand might feel metres away from me as if it's like that pinching tool on graphic manipulation software, bending parts of a picture in strange ways.
i get like that before an epileptic seizure, i have other weird feelings like i am very tall but the ground is so close and i am only aware of my head and everything else is very far away,its very weird.

i have other weird feelings like i am very tall but the ground is so close and i am only aware of my head and everything else is very far away

Yeah, I think I might have had something a little similar to that. I sort of get this feeling like I'm somehow taller. I wouldn't think it has anything to do with growing because, well, reality isn't a cartoon. But that's a little strange. I've never asked but I don't know anyone around me whose said they've had the same.

Yay! I'm not the only one! X) Sometimes I feel like everything is big and small at the same time, or that I'm miles off the ground but compressed against the earth. I've never tried explaining it to anyone because it's a little too weird for the NT world...

New Threads

Top Bottom