• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

I hate traveling

stratozyck

I have traveled a decent bit. I've been across the pond to London once, to the Caribbean, and all told maybe 40 plane flights in my life. I've done a few road trips here and there.

I hate it. I came to the realization recently that I would prefer to minimize traveling, to maybe one trip per year. I also want to avoid flying.

With flying, the tipping point for me was in 2014 when I flew for a job interview. At the airport, the TSA agent uh, grabbed by you know what (am a guy) and asked what it was. Although I have flown many times since, I haven't been the same since then and have told my wife I will only travel if its by car, train, or boat.

I had some bad experiences before with flying, including a 90 minute adventure being stuck on the tarmac in the heat with no air conditioning and being wedged between two large sleeping men. But its not just flying - I don't like traveling at all.

My bed is better than any hotel bed. I have my things where I want them. I don't get why people spend $1,000s on trips across the world. I have no fear of flying - get me up on an F-16 and lets do some tight turns! - but the commercial passenger experience is akin to torture that you pay for.

I'm 6'4" with broad shoulders and an iPad Pro, I wedge myself into the seat of an airline and can't wait to get off the plane.

I actually really like travelling. When I was a kid, I'd stare out of the window of the car and stim. Even now, that motion of landscape past a window mesmerises me; it's often difficult to pull myself away, to e.g. talk to someone, or sleep, or eat... Works on buses, trains, cars. Flying isn't the same - the movement of the ground is usually too slow.

Also, I discovered a long time ago that I don't feel particularly comfortable around any groups of people, in any public or social situation; it doesn't really matter whether the people are speaking English in the north of England or Twi in Ghana, I'll feel almost equally disconnected and awkward in both. So I don't really get stressed about unfamiliarity.

Sounds like you need an RV! You have your bed, all your own stuff, a tiny little kitchen. I've wanted one since I was around 2 and slept in my grandparents camper top thing they had for their pickup truck. Still don't have one (43 years later:().

Completely agree about flying being torture you pay for, that's why I've never been on a plane. Everyone thinks I'm just scared of planes (and I am a bit scared of the flying part) but the idea of just trying to board the plane is the scariest sounding part.

I love to travel even though I get too tired and end up having a meltdown or two (when I was 20 I spent an hour or so crying under a sink in a motel room in Orofino, Idaho. Fun.o_O) I have stacks of maps and travel brochures. Looking at stuff along the route, at cows and crops, and trees, and just everything. And getting out and smelling everywhere. And rest areas! My favorite is on hyw. 400 on the way to Wichita.

I agree with you completely. Have had more good experiences than terrible ones, but more and more I dislike sleeping in a strange bed and not knowing where things are, and being anxious/nervous in my surroundings. Although waking up to the sound of the ocean or strange birds or a different sunrise is wonderful. Carrying my toothbrush and things around in a bag and living out of a suitcase is not my idea of enjoyment.

Travel less and less, at a time when I should, as I'm now retired. But I like my home more I think.

Depends on where I'm traveling really. If there's too many people and it's over crowded I'd hate every second of it. i don't like buses or planes. I prefer to drive and then I love traveling as long as the roads are quiet and easy going, but I always end up with a massive migraines at the end of it. But I love the feeling of just getting away and sort of escaping civilization and normal life even if its just for a few days. But I also love being at home so I can't tolerate being away for longer than a week, unless the destination was a farm with horses then I would never ever leave.

I don't drive. I think if i did I'd have more meltdowns. I'm scared of getting lost. I hate having to initiate conversation so if I had to ask for directions that'd be hard.
I have been on planes and since I'm petite it's not a totally bad experience but I never have enough air on the plane...wish i could open a window :rolleyes:
The engine noise is too loud to sleep even with noise cancelling headphones and i feel deaf at the end. Too many people in the airport makes me anxious ... scared I'll miss the flight or get on the wrong one ...
But i know if i stay home the anxiety wins and the thought of plane travel will get worse...so I try to make it as enjoyable as i can by having special travel items like a cashmere scarf, music, soothing familiar items, food i like ... plane and airport food makes me anxious too ... i wish i could take my memory pillow with me everywhere and my blanket but i am not a turtle and apparently there are baggage limits...:eek:

GPS and maps are your best friends. Its scary at first but once you get going it's wonderful. I didn't get my license till I was 29 because the idea of driving with someone i didnt know (the driving instructor) terrified me but I did because I had to. My ex left and I had 2 young children who meant the world to me and I was pregnant with another which meant I had to be able to take care of them. I'm really glad I did because it's given me independence and I no longer need to rely on others or ask for help. I'm not good at asking for help, or talking to people I don't know. Having my license means I don't have to, but have children also means I do have to. So having my car means I can escape when I need to

Last edited:
When i first started drving I'd panic a lot, my body would be sore because i was so tense and I hated it for years but my ex leaving and knowing i had to be able take care of my chldren on my own gave me the push i needed

New Threads

Top Bottom