• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Sensory Overload/ I get annoyed and confused...

Aspergers_Aspie

I get disturbed by a neighbour in a flat on the floor above mine in my block who slams their door with a lot of force, sometimes late at night, but I have been writing down dates and times it occurs.
I am confused by some people being interviewed on news programmes who say 'ah' and 'uh' often

Last edited:
I am confused and annoyed by some people being interviewed on news programmes who say 'ah' and 'uh' often, there are plenty of people who speak normally there's no need to say 'ah' and 'uh' all the time

Easy solution for that: Don't watch the news. Read it instead.

I get disturbed by a neighbour in a flat on the floor above mine in my block who slams their door with a lot of force, sometimes late at night, but I have been writing down dates and times it occurs.
I am confused by some people being interviewed on news programmes who say 'ah' and 'uh' often, there are plenty of people who speak normally there's no need to say 'ah' and 'uh' all the time
Usually when people are saying ahh and um it means they have no clue what they are talking about and they are making things up.

Or they're just nervous or not particularly eloquent. Not everyone is good at talking.
I'm not eloquent and I don't umm and ahh all the time. Unless I'm trying to remember something I lied about in the past or am just making things up.

I'm not eloquent and I don't umm and ahh all the time.
Good for you.
I don't believe everyone being interviewed is genuinely not good at speaking I think some people do it deliberately but I don't know why
They are just filled pauses while a person gathers their thoughts and decides what to say next. They are largely unconscious, and in normal conversation play an important role to indicate that a person is not finished speaking and allow a conversation to run smoothly. Just because a person is being interviewed doesn't mean that they have a lot of practice doing so, and thinking they are doing this deliberately is silly.

Good for you.

They are just filled pauses while a person gathers their thoughts and decides what to say next. They are largely unconscious, and in normal conversation play an important role to indicate that a person is not finished speaking and allow a conversation to run smoothly. Just because a person is being interviewed doesn't mean that they have a lot of practice doing so, and thinking they are doing this deliberately is silly.
To think that some people are not doing it deliberately is silly too...

Also, being interviewed is very stressful and the enormity of it pops into ones head and causes word loss. There's literally millions of people watching and listening!

A lot of things turn into habits. This is why political candidates have to watch and rewatch their speeches to see if any quirks are present and need to be tweaked or completely stopped. It can be random sounds we make, strange stims that distract, body adjustments that are distracting. We may bite our lips and not know it when stressed. Make funny faces as we contemplate tricky questions.

Here's what I would do in that situation:
1. Kindly explain to the neighbor that you're sensitive to sound and could they please not slam the door
2. If #1 doesn't work, contact whoever is in charge of the building and ask if they can do something so the door doesn't make as much noise when they close it

I am confused by some people being interviewed on news programmes who say 'ah' and 'uh' often

Those are stims caused by the emotions they are experiencing. While reporters can work to suppress their stims, those being interviewed one time only usually can't help stimming.

There are trends in news persons. First is was upspeak (valley girl), then it was starting the answer every single question with, "So...." Then there was "Vocal Fry."

The newest trend (and you will hear this ALL THE TIME on NPR, especially Morning Edition)....it is Stilting Speech. They will say things like, "So....so.....tell ...tell....us why you......you.....think the new......new addition of....of......" It is RIDICULOUS and take twice as long to get the info. It's like they are trying to apologize for being intelligent, a way to make their questions seem like the guy next door is asking, but these are Harvard-trained news people with clear privilege all over from birth.

The worst is Krista Tippit (On Being). I cannot even follow one of her sentences. She laughs all the time in some kind of way I guess she thinks is endearing and cute AND has so much stilting talk, the last episode was unlistenable: "So......so....(hee hee) so.....tell me. Do you....you....Do you.....um.......do you think, like, the UNIVERSE has......has.....you know...like.....like this......this wide sweeping........WIDE WIDE sweeping, like a .....like maybe a ......a......."

I am not kidding. If stilting and umming and giggling makes people think the speaker is profound, we are in trouble.

Reminds me of an exercise I participated in back in elementary school where the goal was to get all of us kids not to say "um" as we answered questions. Thank goodness for written text and the pen.

Last edited:
All these comments saying that pauses like "ah" and "um" etc. indicate that you're lying or making stuff up etc. make me REALLY not want to have a face to face conversation ever again. Thank God for the internet and text.

Yeah I'm not that eloquent and my processing speed is a bit slow especially when I'm tired...as are a lot of people's. This isn't even an autism thing, it's a human thing. Especially when said humans are tired and stressed or distracted. Especially when they're on camera (which they may not be used to or comfortable with.)

I think many times people say uh and ah because they have trouble recalling a memory or trying to explain something they want to say. I think the following video is a good example of it:

I think it's clear from the video he wasn't lying or doing it intentionally.

All these comments saying that pauses like "ah" and "um" etc. indicate that you're lying or making stuff up etc. make me REALLY not want to have a face to face conversation ever again. Thank God for the internet and text.

Yeah I'm not that eloquent and my processing speed is a bit slow especially when I'm tired...as are a lot of people's. This isn't even an autism thing, it's a human thing. Especially when said humans are tired and stressed or distracted. Especially when they're on camera (which they may not be used to or comfortable with.)
Yes. I agree it is not intentional. In fact, it's highly contagious because of mirror neurons. Listen to one person begin any of these trends and the other picks right up......

That's called a stammer.

Some people have genuine stammers yes.

With regards to the neighbour. I hope another neighbour in the block moves out and a police officer or housing inspector moves in and catches that rude uncaring neighbour who slams their door especially late at night

New Threads

Top Bottom