• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

I feel offended.

Hannah_Aspergic

It's quite weird, and I feel so stupid, but when I watch movies or tv-shows that mentions aspergers I feel offended. Like when I watched the movie Dear John, and John's father clearly had autism I got so angry I began to cry. Is there something wrong with me? Am I the only one?
It's not like I get upset when it's something informative about autism and aspergers, because I think it's great that people can learn that there aren't anything wrong with us! I just can't stand when they sort of put us in a bad light in movies...
And as I wrote, is there something wrong with me? I've felt like an outsider, a loner since I was fourteen and diagnosed, so I haven't known about it for that long, only a few years. But it feels like the diagnose is haunting me. And then when they use it in movies when not even I, who has the diagnose knows that much about it yet. I don't know? It just offends me.

It's probably worth pointing out that some aspie characters on tv shows, such as Abed on Community and Dr. Temperance "Bones" Brennan on Bones are, from what I can gather, are actually portrayed fairly positively.

There probably are ways in which portrayal of aspie/autistic characters in tv shows and movies could be improved, but I wouldn't want them to go too far in the other direction and present aspie/autistic characters in an overly idealized way. It may be that we're reaching a point where it's "hip" to be an aspie, but I can't help but bristle at that idea a little bit.

I rarely hear of Aspergers being mentioned on TV or in Movies, then again I don't watch much TV nowadays, but I doubt I would be offended unless it was mentioned in a negative way.

It was this incident at my dancing school where some girls were talking about the syndrome and what they saw on tv. They said lots of stuff about how strange people with aspergers seem, and then they talked about a boy in one of the girls class. And they were talking sh*t about him because of what they had watched about aspergers and because of the impression they had gotten. After that I have just noticed it and felt offended by it.
I don't know. Suppose I should try not to care so much about it :)

I've never seen it mentioned on TV, but I think the only way I'd be offended is if people on TV call it a disease or illness, or talk about curing it. That's really the only portrayal of autism that offends me, because it's not true at all.

New Threads

Top Bottom