• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

I feel ambushed

SingaSong

V.I.P Member
Sorry this is long.

I feel like an idiot but also that I was ambushed by one of my GPs (group practice). I got a private report which I hoped would encourage my gp to advocate for me in getting funding for an NHS referral. I posted the report to the GP I discussed that aspergers with. I asked them to read it and then make an appointment for me to discuss it. I knew it would be a hard appointment and was going to ask for a double session.

Last week I made an appointment with a different GP and my mum came. We were going to discuss a physical issue. When I got there the GP said they'd received the report that morning and she read it. I said I wasn't there about the report. My mum wouldn't be there for that appointment on aspergers. She ploughed on anyway. It was a disaster because I wasn't ready to discuss the report. It was painful and because I was surprised I didn't tell her to stop.

Ended up agreeing that I didn't need a referral (I now realise of course I have one and they are arguing about funding, that there was no support anyway, that I just need to try to make friends. She also mixed up the physical issues we did want to discuss.

It's possible I would have had the same outcome with a proper appointment but I'd have felt better.

You're not an idiot, that sounds really stressful. It must have been hard when you weren't ready to discuss it and you had to do it in front of your mum.

It's also not fair that they're arguing about funding, and even if there's no support (although that's not ideal) it's worth getting diagnosed for the peace of mind it can give you. Telling you to just try and make friends isn't good enough.

Could you go back and see the original GP anyway and have the proper appointment you wanted? I've found that different doctors in the same practice can take different approaches and you might find the original GP won't necessarily say the same thing as the one you saw with your mum, they may be more supportive and open to advocating for you to get funding.

Good luck!

Thanks
They are just following the procedure is seeking funding. I think you need gp support to get anywhere. The attitude is that they can help children or young people, but after that you don't get things that are different. I've seen psychology and had my own private therapy. That mostly amounted to cbt techniques and being told to put myself in social situations. I'm new to this so not sure if there are other techniques I can learn about.

Great news. The GP has secured the funding and he has made referral for diagnosis. I know there's quite a waiting list but I've passed the first hurdle.

New Threads

Top Bottom