• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

I can't live with sleep apnea for much longer.

Metalhead

Video game and movie addict.
V.I.P Member
I spend a week or two only getting two hours of sleep of night, followed with a couple of days of me falling asleep everywhere I go, including the office where I have been waken up at my desk by coworkers recently. This is not a way for a person to be living.

My parents are convinced that this would be solved if my tonsils and adenoids were to be removed completely. The doctors are not making any decisions until the sleep study is done, and I have to wait another month for that because the doctors are booking everything months in advance these days. There is no emergency booking available.

I might lose my job before I get into the sleep study at this rate.

Life sucks for me these days.

Can you just asked for them to be removed? I mean tests just add up to money for these facilities. Sorry you still are dealing with this. We have massive shortages everywhere right now with medical staff.

Can you just asked for them to be removed? I mean tests just add up to money for these facilities.
Already tried that, the doctors said tests must be done first, and I have to wait forever for the tests to take place.

Not fair, l would call and say they need to move up your date because you can't work without sleep. Seriously these people today.

Not fair, l would call and say they need to move up your date because you can't work without sleep. Seriously these people today.
It is a problem in the US - doctors are all extremely overworked thanks to a certain portion of our population treating the pandemic like it was a joke.

It is a problem in the US - doctors are all extremely overworked thanks to a certain portion of our population treating the pandemic like it was a joke.
My dad used a (I think it's called) a CPAP machine to help with sleep apnoea. It's apparently a bit of a chore to get used to but surely they could provide you with one in the short term to see if it helps? I know, not a great thing to have to consider using but if it helps, you may get your sleep back in order and it may become less necessary.

When I was diagnosed with polycythemia, sleep apnoea was suspected but luckily I don't have it.

One way I was able to figure this out was by using a fitness tracker. It was super cheap too. You can pick up decent ones now for less than $50, you sync it to your phone and then keep it on your wrist while you sleep. It monitors your O2 stats and heart rate and it can warn you about anything that is concerning that occurs while you sleep.

I do get something that is similar to sleep apnoea but it's induced by my medication and it's pretty awful, it often interrupts my sleep. So I have some idea what it's like and it really does ruin your sleep. I'm hoping that now I've reported it again (for perhaps the 10th time) I'm now going to get my meds adjusted.

I am unspeakably depressed right now.

Why can’t I legally pay a doctor to induce sleep in me for one night? I know, that contributed to Michael Jackson’s death and is a terrible idea.

You’re not the only one. And I’m here if you need to talk to someone.

Sometimes my nightmares are so bad that I can’t sleep for more than a few hours per night, and I seriously consider going to the hospital and asking them to sedate me :(

I suspect I also have sleep apnea. I wake up groggy every morning for 4 years now. And in last few months noticed I stopped breathing at night few times. It's probably worsening autism symptoms, such as slow processing (which is for me sometimes even a bigger problem than social skills).

Hope I will get cpap machine soon.

My sleep study is on June 30th. I scheduled it a month ago. This was the earliest the doctors could get me in.

I am at my work desk now and I am pumping myself full of caffeine just so I can be productive today.

I want to curl up in my bed and doze the days away until I can get this fixed, but that is not an option.

This can't be healthy, living like this for another month.

Looks like I have no sleep apnea, according to my sleep study. Now it's time to discover what's the real problem.

I sleep enough, for 8 or even 9 hours at night, but still havent rested, can ASD itself cause that poor sleep quality.

It definetly isn't insomnia because I sleep enough hours, it's something that happens during sleep lowering its quality.

Hi Metalhead,

I'm sorry you are going through this. I happened upon this item, online, and thought about you. I don't know anything about it's effectiveness, nor, sleep apnea, in general, but, I read the description and it sounded as though it could be helpful? Here is the link, in case you might find it of interest.

I hope your sleep study goes well, and you find relief.

Looks like it's periodic limb movement disorder in my case. Sleep study says I had 38 leg movements per hour, normal is up to 15.

I've seen that main treatment for it are some anti-anxiety medications.

I spend a week or two only getting two hours of sleep of night, followed with a couple of days of me falling asleep everywhere I go, including the office where I have been waken up at my desk by coworkers recently. This is not a way for a person to be living.

My parents are convinced that this would be solved if my tonsils and adenoids were to be removed completely. The doctors are not making any decisions until the sleep study is done, and I have to wait another month for that because the doctors are booking everything months in advance these days. There is no emergency booking available.

I might lose my job before I get into the sleep study at this rate.

Life sucks for me these days.
There are a couple of sleep apnea machines available on Amazon. It worked great for a friend of mine. Unfortunately it didn't work for me, so it can be an expensive gamble. But to your point, so is this hellhole of a healthcare system.

I got better last days after stopping my antihistamine which was prescribed for allergies, but didn't work. Looks like it caused drowsiness.

Two nights where I kept on waking up repeatedly in a row. After a couple of productive weeks on the job, I start dozing at my desk again and my boss just asked me if I valued my job.

This is hopeless/

Two nights where I kept on waking up repeatedly in a row. After a couple of productive weeks on the job, I start dozing at my desk again and my boss just asked me if I valued my job.

This is hopeless/
It will get better as soon as you get your cpap machine. Many people on forums say they have reborn after using it for a few days.

It will get better as soon as you get your cpap machine. Many people on forums say they have reborn after using it for a few days.
It won't matter if I become unemployed before the sleep study at the end of this month, because I can't get in to have that done any earlier, because I am falling through the cracks and am a zero priority patient.

New Threads

Top Bottom