• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

I am not an Aspie...

Häxan

Járnviðja
V.I.P Member
I was not diagnosed with aspergers, I was diagnosed with HFA from birth.
One thing I have learned is in online forums it seems as if Aspergers has a bit of a stronger presence than other autism diagnoses. Most of the forums and even articles are quite often aspergers directed.

Does this make those of you with other than asperger's diagnoses feel ostracized?
Now that they are removing asperger's from the diagnose where will it leave aspies?

I know in the grand-scale of things we are all autistic of course but in some ways I think these titles can be a bit ostracizing.

I've just been officially diagnosed with Aspergers after years of self diagnosis.
I've noticed this tendency myself and always take pains to refer to our tribe as ASD's, HFA's, Spectrumites, to avoid just such ostracism.

I was diagnosed as autie with the DSM 4 guidelines that included Asperger's,so I don't play the aspie card either.

The labels have been a gripe of mine since my discovery days when I assumed I was an aspie,but was told differently by professionals after their lengthy investigations.

I call us spectrum cruisers or spectrumites most of the time so no one feels left out by any label others use.

I was diagnosed with "Infantile Autism-- Active." (not Asperger's) My diagnosis is now called "ASD" under the new DSM V.

I call myself "autistic," and sometimes even use the word "Aspie" just because it sounds cute. :p

Sometimes I feel out of place on forums, as many discuss jobs and parenting, and here I am using a visual schedule to know when to potty. :eek:

Last edited:
Functioning labels are often said to be more ostracizing. We have to call it something, and maybe it's necessary to alert mid-functioning NTs to whether or not we can speak with our mouth parts or perform ordinary tasks by ourselves, but high or low "functioning" just sounds like you either aren't affected by your handicap at all, or like you can't even think and perceive – "no, it doesn't," you (and I) might say, but it does to low-functioning NTs who are often the sort we are handed to help us with stuff.

There are some blogs by autistics who are what you'd call "low-functioning". They all object to functioning labels.

Functioning labels are often said to be more ostracizing. We have to call it something, and maybe it's necessary to alert mid-functioning NTs to whether or not we can speak with our mouth parts or perform ordinary tasks by ourselves, but high or low "functioning" just sounds like you either aren't affected by your handicap at all, or like you can't even think and perceive – "no, it doesn't," you (and I) might say, but it does to low-functioning NTs who are often the sort we are handed to help us with stuff.

There are some blogs by autistics who are what you'd call "low-functioning". They all object to functioning labels.
Haha, I like your use of "low-functioning NTs," omg. :tearsofjoy: Really brings home the point about how divisive the labels are.

Met some nonverbal autistic people yesterday. Seriously awesome. I don't think I would ever describe them as "low-functioning".

Sometimes it is useful to have a quicker way to distinguish people than listing all of their abilities and challenges. In those cases, I would think about what is relevant to the discussion. Is it that they are non-speaking that causes the most difficulty? That they need full-time care to make sure they don't hurt themselves because they have pica or forget what they're doing sometimes? Is it that they think 'concretely' and have trouble with abstract thought? Then say someone who is non-speaking or needs full-time care or thinks concretely. And keep in mind that non-speaking doesn't mean nonverbal: they may use a letter board or AAC device or sign language. I don't understand how verbal has come to mean speaking, when verbal literally means related to words...spoken or written. Some people just have trouble moving their mouth parts.

I'm still learning about what is good language to use, but usually find that giving someone's support needs is the fastest way to explain it and is generally both more accurate than a functioning label and covers what those labels were originally intended to describe (=how independently you 'function') without the ableist implications.

Anyway. As for those with minimal support needs, sure, the aspie v. autie label may have captured a processing difference related to language delay, but language ability isn't really an indicator of anything but how you process language, and many autistic people develop language at a different pace than NTs due to learning and processing differences. For all practical purposes, these groups are capable of doing most of the same things (certainly I know or know of HFAs who have achieved way more than me or are incredible people in other, less socially valued ways, and the same can be said of my fellow aspies), and it's up to the individual's talent, drive, and the support they receive to determine how well "functioning" they will be in life.

So I don't believe in creating divisions between us, try to use language inclusive of all autistics, and call myself autistic unless someone is more interested in 'what kind of autistic' I am.

I don't think labels matter. They are really just there for NT use. I refer to everyone on the spectrum as autistic no matter what the label is. It just makes more sense in my mind. Don't look at labels, but at the person and judge for yourself whether or not a person is high or low functioning because in all honesty there are high and low functioning NTs that just don't get it right when it comes to autism. But that is ok, because no one is all knowing.

I have to agree with the poor use of functioning labels as every one of us has a different cocktail of conditions that make each one of us individually different. On the same note though,what is considered neurotypical behavior has just as many facets to contend with in each of their own rights.No two humans are carbon copies of each other ever with genetics,environmental influences and psychology included in the list of what makes us tick.

Being on the spectrum is not always a picnic as they suspect that about 1% of us are at this point in time,but I am sure that there are many more of us out there who don't even know that they are on the spectrum.In all fairness,not all NTs are aware of why they act like they do either.Some of us do not struggle daily with it,but many do,so I am not dismissing them. This forum is basically a support forum,so you will see many here that do not represent a good cross section of the entire spectrum,only the bad parts being highlighted by many postings asking for help. From what I understand,the Silicon Valley in the USA is loaded with spectrumites all gainfully employed and getting along just fine as they carve their own niches. Some like me have gone on to do some pretty wonderful things along the way,not just cry about the injustices they have been handed. Look at what you modern world could have looked like without the spectrum. Pretty bland and boring in my honest opinion,so I celebrate it instead of loathing it.

Many of us who ride the spectrum happen to know a lot about our condition because we studied it,or someone told us about it. The same applies to NT neurology as it does to ours,but with loads of differences yet to be discovered as well.This is where the interpreted parts get hazy and some labeling is necessary for others to place people in pigeon holes so they can classify us for treatments that revolve around money that they aren't really willing to spend. It places a burden on the mental healthcare system and many view it as nothing because they can't see it like a broken leg or other medical conditions that are right in front of them. Psychology is not a science by any means as it is only an interpretation of what others experience.Some of them have a pretty good handle on it,but once again it is only a guess.

If we can show the NT how flawed their system is,we might get treated better,but I wouldn't bet the farm on it because it will never happen. I have yet to see enough advocacy on our own part to make a difference either.
So there you have it,stuck between a rock and a hard place again ;)

I agree that most of the forums and blogs are aimed mainly at Aspies. Many blogs have AS or Aspie in their title, but are open to all people whatever their diagnosis. I think this is happening because there are more Aspies writing online than there are people with other autism spectrum diagnoses. I have a diagnosis of Asperger's Syndrome from the DSM IV, but not this diagnosis has been replaced and will one day be a thing of the past. More people now simply have an ASD diagnosis, and the time may come when I will be in a minority because I was diagnosed with Asperger's and not ASD. I think it's far more useful to think of us all being on a spectrum, rather than categorizing us according to specific diagnostic labels.

What blogs? I'm in exploration mode.

i think it's a "politically correct" thing, technically it's all "autism spectrum disorder" now but the word "autism" sadly implies a possibility for severe mental retardation. so, in my particular case, because i'm fine in that aspect, my father just sees me as being shy and quiet and whatever, but uniquely to him he relates "aspergers" (he's a little dyslexic so he's mixing up the word with something, but i don't know what) with a "bubble eye disease" as he said i called it when i was like 5. i have no idea what it would be called but whatever..
i don't really care what people call it. i have 1 friend who i've seen once in the last 3 years and i've known him since elementary school.. and it hasn't come up in conversation so i don't know his opinion. it's all the same to me, there are different scales. i haven't had a dr directly diagnose me but i had one explain everything in a way that he was basically saying that i would be on the ASD scale but he's not allowed (more than qualified, just not allowed.. it was an SSDI thing) so i poked around and believe they would say i also had HFA if not even a little lower level since as i'm paying more attention now i'm noticing a lot more problems. but anyway, the only difference i noticed really between aspergers and HFA was a speech issue. but to me, it's all "on the same scale". without a learning disability, it's really just saying "how awkward and shy is this person within a social setting?" which, honestly, i wish we had colored and numbered wristbands or something (every human had these) because it would be an instant topic of conversation for people and help filter through people for various reasons. if you're looking for a new friend but you're (ok probably none of us lol) are big outgoing party crazy people... you don't want somebody who is so deathly afraid that you should actually be amazed they got enough balls to leave the house and go to the bar.. 3 buildings down from their house. or, if you're more like myself.. where i want to hang out with people extremely like myself but from different lifestyles and areas so they have different types of knowledge to share. and until i get that crazy party guy who really just needs a break once a month.. i'd most likely be looking for somebody also as shy and awkward as myself. i'm not interested in the "mike was so drunk 1 time we tattooed "noob" on his theigh and he didn't even wake up!". i might laugh from it, but i'm more interested in actual learning. you want to chat my eat off about the difference between Manet and Monet? fantastic (i know a bit but not as much as i'd like) but i just don't care about the drunk party stories

wow... sorry, i've also been watching stand up comedy to learn what people think is funny so if i do talk to somebody i can joke around. so.... yeah.. a bit tangent-y lol

I think everyone's feedback here is pretty much spot on.
I do wish that in the future when forums and websites are made they are done with a bit more consideration to the vast amount of diversity in the autism community. Like for instance instead of calling a forum "Aspiescentral" or "Aspergers forum" maybe names like "The autism forum" or "Autisticscentral" would be more appropriate.

Last edited:
What blogs? I'm in exploration mode.
Emma's Hope Book has a list of a BUNCH of blogs all written by non-speaking autistics:
Blogs & Posts by Non-Speaking Autistics

I also wanted to share this post because wow: "You Don't Speak for Low-Functioning Autistics" (a post by a non-speaking autistic addressing this statement, not supporting it)

ETA:
I do wish that in the future when forums and websites are made they are done with a bit more consideration to the vast amount of diversity in the autism community.

I agree. We're working on it. ;)

Last edited:
While we're on the subject of awkward labels for autistic people, I'm also not very enthusiastic about the term "neurotypical / NT", although I use it occasionally as it is "common coinage". It implies that there IS such a thing as a "typical" person. I have serious doubts about whether that is the case. When you start looking at percentages of the population which are conjectured to have this condition, or that condition, or another condition altogether, what percentage is left? Certainly not a large enough percentage to be considered "typical." My therapist agreed, after laughing and checking the box on the assessment "literal thinker"

(I hope this comes through all right, I am trying out the mobile app and it is quite different from the site, which is disconcerting.)

New Threads

Top Bottom