• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

I am going to a posh "Ball" in about 2 weeks, should I learn Ballroom Dancing?

Mr Allen

V.I.P Member
Above.

I can't dance, and I'm going to the Yorkshire Cos Play "End of Summer Ball" at the Royal Victoria Hotel in Town on the 16th of September.

Obviously there will be dancing involved in the Ballroom, and I don't want to end up looking daft, so I contacted a local dance school this morning via their Facebook page, and they offer private lessons for £35 a lesson, should I take it up on a short term basis?

According to my research on Google, there are other local dance schools that may be considerably cheaper, but should I pay a bit more for more professional teaching? Apparently the owners of City Limits on Penistpme Road are former Strictly Come Dancing contestants.

Yes you should, although ideally you should have contacted them earlier to give you more time to hone your skills. However, I am sure you can atleast learn the basics in the short time that you have until then.

Yes you should, although ideally you should have contacted them earlier to give you more time to hone your skills. However, I am sure you can atleast learn the basics in the short time that you have until then.

Thing that puts me off is learning a "skill" I'll use once a year, and paying probably £140 for 2 lessons a week for 2 weeks.

Dad's already got a cob on about me paying £20 on the main cash card for the Circus next Sunday.

I'm afraid from my own perspective I can't get beyond the cost of it all for "a single night of frivolity", as Professor Minerva Macgonagall put it.

I already spent $23 for about ten minutes of fun on a go-carting course last month when my brother was here. Still shaking my head at spending so much for so little.

I'm guessing we're on the same page, Rich. ;)

Last edited:
I don't think its that big of a deal, it will only be a one time thing, right? I can't dance for the life of me either, but i was taught one ballroom dance step by a friend, also an aspie (That's how you know it's easy :p) Google the box step, its the basic set of steps for most ballroom dances. If you can't learn anything else, learn how to box step. Dance classes always made me feel really slow and alienated because i wasn't as coordinated as the other dancers. As someone who has been dancing for three years, i can honestly tell you that it wont help for this occasion. Most people lose cordination and the agility to dance by 30 or so, and if you haven't grown up practicing every single day and just do it for a week, it'll show. You can always spot a newbie in the studio because they're the most nervous/enthusiastic and also the most uncordinated. Save yourself some money, and use the internet. It's cheaper and far more effective for this scenario: you can learn at your own pace without feeling bad for messing up. But that's just my advice, and i'm in a completely different situation than you.

I'm not doing the formal lessons thing, Mum says she can teach me the Waltz.

And yeah there is watching YouTube to learn, I practice my Martial Arts stuff from YouTube footage.

I wouldn't bother paying for lessons if it's just for random one off events. I was forced to take dance lessons for a few years as a child (ballroom included) and never used them. I've been to a few posh events that supposedly involved ballroom dancing, but most of the guests couldn't formally dance either and just made it up as they went along. Especially after a few drinks. You won't really stand out if you aren't a pro. A few Youtube videos will suffice if you want a bit of practice. Or that Strictly TV show perhaps (although I've never seen a full episode, so not sure how much detail they go into)?

Above.

I can't dance, and I'm going to the Yorkshire Cos Play "End of Summer Ball" at the Royal Victoria Hotel in Town on the 16th of September.

Obviously there will be dancing involved in the Ballroom, and I don't want to end up looking daft, so I contacted a local dance school this morning via their Facebook page, and they offer private lessons for £35 a lesson, should I take it up on a short term basis?

According to my research on Google, there are other local dance schools that may be considerably cheaper, but should I pay a bit more for more professional teaching? Apparently the owners of City Limits on Penistpme Road are former Strictly Come Dancing contestants.
Too many years ago I took up ballroom dancing as a way to learn "Social Skills" and confidence(this was long before I was diagnosed). I did well in competitions (which were fun), but never did learn any social skills or confidence.

Don't worry about standing out because you will look like a klutz. The only thing that will make you stand out is worrying about looking like a klutz. Just learn a few basics and enjoy.

New Threads

Top Bottom