• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

How to look down without getting caught?

tripleU

iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii
I realised, that I don't have meltdowns when looking down. How do I do it without getting caught. If I do it, everyone in school catches me for looking down. They also complain about me not being a useless person, not playing games and entertainment, instead doing useful stuff. It makes me a bit nostalgic, and memories of doing that as a child. I didn't know how I was not caught then.

I don't understand your question.
Do you mind me asking what country you are in?

I realised, that I don't have meltdowns when looking down. How do I do it without getting caught. If I do it, everyone in school catches me for looking down. They also complain about me not being a useless person, not playing games and entertainment, instead doing useful stuff. It makes me a bit nostalgic, and memories of doing that as a child. I didn't know how I was not caught then.

I don't know what situations you're thinking of specifically, but I always pretended to take notes, while periodically looking up. Then teachers thought I was really paying attention and I wouldn't get called on so much.

Honestly, this sort of social reaction thing might seem like a big huge deal while you're in school, but I promise you, it aint gonna mean much once you're out of it, since those people will just abruptly be in the rear view mirror.

What I'm saying is, dont fret over it. If you gotta look down, look down. If others dont like it, well... too bad for them. Maybe they should try to be more understanding of others.

I did pretty much the same thing back in school, got pretty much the same reaction too. Looking back now... whole thing seems just stupid to me, the way people used to pester me for it. I still do that, too, but as an adult, nobody around me cares if I do that, particularly if I explain that I'm on the spectrum.

Also the bit about them pestering you for "games and entertainment" is laughable to me. The gaming industry is worth billions of dollars for a reason. It stopped being just a "for kids" thing decades ago. Though of course, some people think you're useless if every bloody waking hour isnt spent pursuing money, which is probably where that comes from.

Yes, was as quiet as a mouse. Avoided attention at all costs. But eventually broke away and became myself somewhere else after disagreeing to mask anymore. I think teen years were worst.

I did pretty much the same thing back in school, got pretty much the same reaction too. Looking back now... whole thing seems just stupid to me, the way people used to pester me for it. I still do that, too, but as an adult, nobody around me cares if I do that, particularly if I explain that I'm on the spectrum.

Also the bit about them pestering you for "games and entertainment" is laughable to me. The gaming industry is worth billions of dollars for a reason. It stopped being just a "for kids" thing decades ago. Though of course, some people think you're useless if every bloody waking hour isnt spent pursuing money, which is probably where that comes from.
For the games part, I don't like playing games a lot and I am not making money in that time. I do other hobbies. And for the first para I mentioned in the quote, they would ban me, if I did it too much, they think all these things only exist on TikTok, except "Lefties".

Does "looking down" mean something in Pakistan?
Is it some kind of gesture?
No, They think white better than black. So they start acting like "white". They think, I am depressed, oh no that is fake. So they are 3 year old monkeys

I don’t know how much you should worry about being ‘caught.’ Let them think whatever they want to think; your only job is to be the best you, which includes being different from them. If they tried to be you, they would fall flat on their faces. Keep up the good work.

Just a thought for you, I was someone that read books all the time, just novels, mostly science fiction. Up until I was about 30 I always had a book with me where ever I went. This included in the classrooms, I always finished all my work very quickly and then I would sit there for the rest of the lesson with a book in my lap and read.

Just a thought for you, I was someone that read books all the time, just novels, mostly science fiction. Up until I was about 30 I always had a book with me where ever I went. This included in the classrooms, I always finished all my work very quickly and then I would sit there for the rest of the lesson with a book in my lap and read.
What would I do in hall ways then?

I also read there too, although we didn't have hallways, open yards between classes instead. I was always treated pretty badly by the other kids and I had no interest in playing their games, I'd just sit and read a book.

I also read there too, although we didn't have hallways, open yards between classes instead. I was always treated pretty badly by the other kids and I had no interest in playing their games, I'd just sit and read a book.
No, I mean walking through the hallways, they are big, with the sitting places only for school staff. I have a meltdown after 5 seconds in them. And they also have people just looking forward at you. In actual free-time, I just sit in class making conlangs

I'm sorry but I have no experience with hallways like you describe, and thinking about it makes me think it probably isn't much fun.

No, I mean walking through the hallways, they are big, with the sitting places only for school staff. I have a meltdown after 5 seconds in them. And they also have people just looking forward at you. In actual free-time, I just sit in class making conlangs
I am not in school anymore, but what I do in crowded places with lots of people, is usually a grocery store for the best example, I go there to get food so I stay goal oriented, or I simply focus on the task at hand.

So for those hallways I would suggest if you can just focus on the task of moving to the destination, try to focus on you, where you are going, and try to block out the stimulation of all of the noise, or stares, or smells?

Sorry if this isn't helpful

Holding a cloth near my nose to clean it works, but they would be suspicious for me doing it a lot, and only in hallways.

I do the keep my mind on task at hand. It keeps my mind centered and I just don't
pay much attention to people around me.

I've had people say things like how I enjoy looking for fossils and shells is a good
hobby for someone who likes looking down. (me.) Insult, yeh, but I just don't let it bother me.

I remember once in school we had to listen to the teacher telling a story or reading a story, then answer questions about it.
She was walking up and down the aisles and I had my arms crossed on my desk with chin on them while looking down.
She told me to look at her when she was reading out loud.
I told her if I did that, I wouldn't remember anything she had read.
No explanations.
I just grew up being blunt and truthful.

New Threads

Top Bottom