• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

How To Be An Artist When You Have Executive Functioning Issues

KarFaiN

????!??!!!!
I've been looking for a job for many months to no avail. Lately I've also started trying to get more serious about creative work-I write and paint and make found object/upcycled jewelry and I want to translate my thing for repurposing into art as well. I've started a design book where I can sketch out jewelry designs and write down art ideas, I'm looking for art events to go to, and I have a few (unwritten) goals and a general direction of where I want to orient my life. I've got one problem.

I've barely made anything at all in months. I don't update my website or social media in a timely manner, I start projects I don't finish, I've isolated myself from many of the people that could support me and many of the art events in my city are unavailable to me because I don't drive. Not having a real workspace isn't helping either.

I've tried ways to make myself sit down and do work, but if I don't set routines, I end up never starting, or starting and not finishing or getting distracted. If I do set routines, I get more done for a little while, but they always seem to self-destruct before they can get established. I figured it was because I was being too stringent when I set routines, so I came up with an idea for one that would set forth the things I needed to do daily, weekly and monthly and then plan my time around those things day-by-day so I don't get overwhelmed. But I can't bring myself to actually set it up. Even Habitica has mostly lost its power on me. I want to get stuff done. Does anyone have any pointers?

I've been looking for a job for many months to no avail. Lately I've also started trying to get more serious about creative work-I write and paint and make found object/upcycled jewelry and I want to translate my thing for repurposing into art as well. I've started a design book where I can sketch out jewelry designs and write down art ideas, I'm looking for art events to go to, and I have a few (unwritten) goals and a general direction of where I want to orient my life. I've got one problem.

I've barely made anything at all in months. I don't update my website or social media in a timely manner, I start projects I don't finish, I've isolated myself from many of the people that could support me and many of the art events in my city are unavailable to me because I don't drive. Not having a real workspace isn't helping either.

I've tried ways to make myself sit down and do work, but if I don't set routines, I end up never starting, or starting and not finishing or getting distracted. If I do set routines, I get more done for a little while, but they always seem to self-destruct before they can get established. I figured it was because I was being too stringent when I set routines, so I came up with an idea for one that would set forth the things I needed to do daily, weekly and monthly and then plan my time around those things day-by-day so I don't get overwhelmed. But I can't bring myself to actually set it up. Even Habitica has mostly lost its power on me. I want to get stuff done. Does anyone have any pointers?
Start slowly an hour at a time if you can do,that or a minute at a time ,that's what I did,I'm not employed but it's hard enough just to stay sane.
I've been taking citalopram for 13 years,I think it stopped working after about three or four years ,I have a friend who is neuro diverse and she says you should change your medication every 2 to 3 years probably because it stops working ,SSRIs are only really designed to help you for a few months.
Also think about trying CBT but people on the autism spectrum say it doesn't work for them ,some people say DBT worked for them others say not.
I cried CBT it was good to talk to somebody but it didn't cure it.
But in the UK where I am from you only given six - 45 minute sessions, apparently I might of been able to get more if I've been diagnosed at the time with autism ,which I wasn't

I have a lot of trouble with this myself. I always have ideas for projects, but I can never seem to actually commit to making them happen.I still haven't figured out how to get myself motivated. I'm interested to see what other's say in response to this.

I have the same problem, only my ambitions are music related. I also have chronic depression, but even when I have felt better it hard for me to follow through on projects.

If anybody has advice I would also be grateful.

New Threads

Top Bottom