• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

How stubborn are you?

On a scale of 1 - 10, 1 being not stubborn, 10 being an immovable object, where are you?

• Total voters
I am extremely stubborn, more so in routine than views... There has to be a set plan for every aspect of every day and failure to adhere to that plan makes me very, very uncomfortable. Yet, somehow I've managed to surround myself with the most spontaneous and flighty people! I do try really hard to "go with the flow", as my husband would say, but it is a daily struggle.

I wonder is Aspie's are prone to stubbornness?

I'm very easy going simply because I'm not that bothered one way or the other about most things.

However, with things that are important to me, I am utterly immovable. I'm like the terminator, and I'll never stop, never give up until I get where I want to be or get destroyed by a bigger, better terminator.

I wondered to a friend whether she thought I was stubborn (I wasn't sure at the time). Her response was that I'm the most stubborn person she's ever met, and that is really saying something.

I took that as a yes.

Also as a compliment:D

I'm a 10.

(note - public poll)
Definitely yes.
My son has Aspergers & if he's made his mind up about something he just digs his heels in & is unmovable!

I am also pretty laid back for the most part. Mine is exceedingly variable from about 5-10+, depending entirely on the decision.
Eat something I don't want to eat --- 11 1/2
Go places or do general things I don't care about --- 5
Do things I really don't enjoy or that bother me --- 10, at least
I'm more like a bumper car on a road than a train on tracks --- there is a bit of wiggle room.

on a scale of 1 to 10, i am an 11. i can be incredibly stubborn about anything in general, should i feel like making a stand. im also powerful enough to back up my stubbornness without issue.

its a known issue for me, but, more often than not, its useful for my purposes, so i kept it.

A mostly for fun [I think] quiz purporting to
demonstrate how stubborn you are

How stubborn are you? - Stubbornness level test

Some questions were a bit faulty, which is always the case. Why don't they get Aspies to write those questionnaires?

I thought it tested to generally, and not enough scenario based.

I still did quite well though.

Your stubbornness level is 60%

Stubbornness and obstinacy. Your answers show that you are really stubborn and obstinate. When you feel that you are right you just stop listening to what other people have to say. You close your eyes and ears and go ahead on your chosen path, no matter if everything else and anyone else seems to tell you <<Hey, you're on the wrong way!>>. Write us if you liked this test.

When I was 15 I was given the choice to either hand over my mobile phone or get out of the house.

I still had my phone.

I'm the same now, if I have made a decision I usually stick to it, especially if I'm pushed to change my mind, even if I know that particular decision was wrong.

I had a maxim as a teenager. If someone gives you an ultimatum you call them on it everytime. That will stop them doing it again.

God help me when my 3 kids are teenagers.

Last edited:
Yes and no.

As far as a group decision (what movie we should see or where should we go out to eat) I generally don't have an opinion at the time but always declare veto power. It drives my family nuts but at least I don't say I don't care. :D

Generally if it's a bigger decision I'm not sure what to do and am less stubborn then. (Unless I think I'm getting bad advice. Then I will act not-stubborn but will still do what I want.) I tend to get more stubborn the more I'm pushed to a certain decision. I much prefer to be self-directed, so if someone else suggests something than I'm much more likely to decide on something else. And once I've made up my mind that's that and I don't go back on it.

I think the quiz and some responses are letting open mindedness and stubbornness get mixed up.

None stubborn people are like a sea with a nice deep layer of mud underneath that shift around in the current, and can be shifted around given enough pressure and force.

I'm like a nice deep sea with lots of room and possibilities, and you'd think I was completely open and malleable to any weak force, until you hit the rocky sea bed, and try to move it, and find there is no give at all no matter what you do.

I am flexible about a lot of things. BUT when it pertains to something important to me, I am totally STUBBORN! Such as my daily eating routine. Don't anyone dare try to get me to eat something different! I can be more stubborn than a bull!

In first grade I was held in the lunch room until the final bell because I refused to eat a plain cheese sandwich. I never like those I like grilled cheese but not this white bread and processed cheese thing.

So I sat there and sat there, refusing. My mother called them up and said "Don't ever do that again. And it doesn't do any good anyway. If she won't eat something, she won't eat something."

Ahhh, very niiice [think 'Borat' :sweatsmile:]

I put myself as an 8, but I know most people who know me would have agreed with WereBear and suggested that the scale was not sufficiently high enough for me!

My sister often informs people, "if she has spoken it aloud then you can bet your life on it!"

Once I have made up my mind, no one can budge it. NO ONE!
Even with hard core scientific data in front of me to the contrary, I will prove it to be possible and eventually, I will even manipulate you into believing that the scientific data you have is simply not complete!!!
I have often pushed forward to see ideas to fruition, even if I later were to discover they were not as good as I originally assumed! My ego takes control like some alternate personality, only really, it is my ONLY personality. It pushes me right through without a second thought and I continue "truckin" until I consider the plan a success OR I have at least been successful to twist the situation to my favor enough to feel comfortable letting it go. I realized that the power of manipulation was in my favor at a very young age and it helped me to navigate life well before any one around knew anything about Asperger's or my own neural connections!
Some people might like to say 'pyscho or socio' here of course, but it doesn't matter because neither term bothers me one bit, just NEVER EVER call me NT! :sweatsmile:

Being stubborn WITH a somewhat advanced level of manipulation skills sometimes makes me feel like superwoman in most situations....but no worries, my cape is machine washable, so the times when I do fall face first in the mud, I can swoop it around to cover my face, and then just toss it in the laundry.

FULL STEAM:
OMG I LOVE the stick insect scale for depression, am I the only one who read that, or maybe just the only one who laughed out loud (lol literally!)

Test result: how stubborn are you?
Your stubbornness level is 65%

Stubbornness and obstinacy. Your answers show that you are really stubborn and obstinate. When you feel that you are right you just stop listening to what other people have to say. You close your eyes and ears and go ahead on your chosen path, no matter if everything else and anyone else seems to tell you <<Hey, you're on the wrong way!>>. Write us if you liked this test.

Higher than expected.

My genius is wasted here.

Wasted. :(

Your story reminds me of the first Savage Steve Holland movie, Better Off Dead. He based it on a student film about how depressed he was after a breakup, but everyone who saw it thought it was hilarious so he had to change his career trajectory.

Definitely yes.
My son has Aspergers & if he's made his mind up about something he just digs his heels in & is unmovable!

Like it is often said, when you've met one aspie, you've met one aspie. You can't generalize what your son is like over what every aspie is like, because we are all different. His stubborness could simply be a personality trait unrelated to autism. However if I look at this thread's answers I suppose aspies tend to be stubborn.

Yes I can be stubborn,it's one of the things that my parents use to complain about me,even now if once I made a decision on certain things it's hard to convince me overwise.

New Threads

Top Bottom