• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

How should we deal with PUBLIC AUTISTIC MELTDOWNS?

Aspie_With_Attitude

V.I.P Member

I had just uploaded a video explaining the worst case scenario, an autistic individual having a meltdown out in the general public.

Have you had any autistic meltdowns out in the general public before? If so how was this managed?

Often it's enough to certainly create a scene. How should we be dealing with PUBLIC AUTISTIC MELTDOWNS in such a civil way? Should there be like a first-aid protocol for any individuals who have their autistic meltdowns?

I'm not sure I can understand what you're asking. Who's perspective you're asking this from.

The autistic meltdownee will take a good while afterwards to realise they've just had a meltdown in public. I imagine them to be too exhausted to feel any kind of embarrassment on any level. They may also require some first aid/ visit to hospital if they hurt themselves during the process.

If you're asking if there should be a first aid protocol for the general public to learn and practise on witnessing a meltdown in a public place,
you're making an assumption that the general public would want to get involved in something they may not understand or have ever seen before.

If I haven't understood your post correctly please correct me.
I'm interested enough to want to know what you mean.

edited to add : I didn't watch the video. Didn't have time. sorry.

I had just uploaded a video explaining the worst case scenario, an autistic individual having a meltdown out in the general public.

Have you had any autistic meltdowns out in the general public before? If so how was this managed?

Often it's enough to certainly create a scene. How should we be dealing with PUBLIC AUTISTIC MELTDOWNS in such a civil way? Should there be like a first-aid protocol for any individuals who have their autistic meltdowns?
I’ve only had one full fledged meltdown in public and unfortunately, it was not managed well. I had a lot of people watching me but not stepping in to help, and just left me alone. I had some form of mind to call my dad And he came to get me and we went back home. I was so embarrassed by what happened.I have had smaller meltdowns afterwards, and fortunately in the most recent case an acquaintance stepped in to help prevent it from spiralling too far out. People don’t usually deal with meltdowns in a nice way. Most people tend to avoid, unless it looks like you’re about to injure yourself. And with phone cameras being pulled out to record things like this for the likes, its probably best to find strategies to try to cope with an evolving meltdown than risk having the worst case scenario of being in the public, vulnerable and breaking down. Not everyone is kind.

I’ve never had a full blown meltdown before. I think I have less stress compared to most on the spectrum.

But the couple of times I’ve come near to the point, involved uncertainty, having to deal with a (perceived) stupid person, or lots of noise and too many people.
When I perceive somebody using their emotions to manipulate other people, or bend the truth, is a trigger for me as well.

New Threads

Top Bottom