• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

How does one lift oneself out of textbook depression?

Metalhead

Video game and movie addict.
V.I.P Member
I know I need to increase my physical activity and make more changes to my diet, for starters. The first few steps are going to be the most difficult as usual.

Any other brilliant ideas to consider here?

Being around people.

Focusing on something you're interested in (preferably involving other people in some way). Some kind of project or hobbie that you can become passionate about.

Being around people.

Focusing on something you're interested in (preferably involving other people in some way). Some kind of project or hobbie that you can become passionate about.
Yeah, I need to budget to get out of my house more instead of adding to my man cave. I built a massive man cave expecting to host my good friends, but my good friends have been far too busy to visit on a regular basis, so I sit in my gilded cage alone because I usually do not have enough cash on hand to get out and do something.

Seriously, the one friend who was hanging with me on a regular basis decided to kill himself a few months ago.

Guess I couldn't save him. I failed.

Depending on how bad it is, you might want to consider medication and/or psychotherapy. Medication especially if you don't feel capable to tackle those things like lifestyle modifications in the first place. And if you have suicidal thoughts and/or do self-harm, consulting a professional would be a very good idea, too. If things are really, really bad, you can and should go to an emergency room.

Apart from that, I'd suggest:
- Getting outside once per day, for a walk or even a run if you want, but a walk is completely fine too. Try to get some fresh air and sunlight.
- Try to get back to a daily routine, at least a rudimentary one, if you don't have one right now. That can just be getting up, having breakfast and, after that, decide on one or two things you're going to do that day - they don't have to be big.
- Depending on how social you are and whether being around people usually helps you or makes things worse, you could try to get around people e.g. every second or third day. Of course it would be cool if that would be to meet a friend, but if that's tricky, it can also just be to enter a store you like and exchange a few words with the cashier. Just to get around people.
- Try to take up things you used to like.

What you could do, if you don't want to consult a professional and/or try medication for now, is setting yourself a deadline, like 3 months for example, in which you try without. And if things didn't get better or even got worse, you can re-evaluate.

I know I need to increase my physical activity and make more changes to my diet, for starters. The first few steps are going to be the most difficult as usual.

Can you afford to get a pet and look after it?
Pets, especially for those on the spectrum, are very therapeutic.
If I need a bit of a pickup, I go and hug my guys.

If you get a dog, you can get that exercise you need for depression by taking it for walks.

Going to hug my guys now. lol

If you can, do something that will lead to new friends or colleagues, like volunteering, or going to a therapy group, or a class or hobby group? You are quite sociable, so this may be something you could do where some couldn't?

If you can, do something that will lead to new friends or colleagues, like volunteering, or going to a therapy group, or a class or hobby group? You are quite sociable, so this may be something you could do where some couldn't?
Great ideas. Now I just have to commit to something and stick with it.

Seriously, the one friend who was hanging with me on a regular basis decided to kill himself a few months ago.

Guess I couldn't save him. I failed.
There was someone I was friends with who killed himself a few years ago. Some time before he did - I'm not sure how long, maybe a year - I stopped messaging him because I felt he was too passive and didn't offer much as a friend.

I regret doing that. But I don't blame myself for what he did. That's not on me, there's no guilt about that.

Rwmove the stressor that has caused it or work though it in therapy.

Stick to a regular healthy lifestyle: get enough sleep, walk outside, eat suffient amounts of food. Lack of those can make it much more difficult to recover and symptoms much worse.

Find better textbooks?

I do something that gives me joy. You probably don't want to run around naked in the wilderness.

If you are deep enough into depression, nothing gives you joy. Depression is a disease where you cannot see anything good. In that case you need a therapist and probably the correct antidepressant.

Here's a fascinating discussion of depression.

If we're talking about textbooks then antidepressants tend to be the most common recommendation for clinical depression.

If we're talking about textbooks then antidepressants tend to be the most common recommendation for clinical depression.
I think life experience can help too.

It depends on the depression.
If it is a biological/chemical irregularity, medication might be the best course of action.
However, I have heard that depression can be an indication of anger directed inwardly.

When I had panic attacks, I was given antidepressants and told it was a chemical imbalance in the brain. I didn't even feel depressed. Just spontaneous panic attacks.
The medication didn't help.

Much later in life I developed what was termed reactive depression.
When something happens in your life that is traumatic or sad that creates a feeling of depression. Again, the antidepressants were offered.
I declined because I tried many different types earlier for the panic disorder and they only made me feel worse.

I used what was taught in cognitive therapy. Meditation, music therapy, guided imagery and establishing a daily routine of doing at least one thing that made me feel good.
Even if it was something small. Like caring for a plant, a small pet, or cleaning out a drawer.
I found those things worked for me.
And get outside daily if only for a little while.

I used what was taught in cognitive therapy. Meditation, music therapy, guided imagery and establishing a daily routine of doing at least one thing that made me feel good.
Even if it was something small. Like caring for a plant, a small pet, or cleaning out a drawer.
I found those things worked for me.
And get outside daily if only for a little while.
I get a lot of comfort from my K9 kids.
When I feel down (sad, I don't get depressed these days), I hop in the car and take my kids driving.

They get so excited to the point where the fun turns into annoyance until they get into the car. (I like to go before the sun comes up and the noise might wake up the neighbours).

I am fooling them these days by not dressing to go downstairs. (Keys make them go crazy with excitement noise-wise)
This way, getting them into the car causes minimal disruption in the house.

Hug-fests do help my mood. lol

Listen to @Jonn, get a dog.
1) You are going to get out of the house every day.
2) There is someone there who loves you, every day, no matter what.
3) When you are out walking, having your little mate with you is a definite “ice-breaker” for conversations.
4) There is someone else depending on you. Don’t let them down. (Hint: it’s not that hard! And it gives you that reason to keep going.)

Listen to @Jonn, get a dog.
1) You are going to get out of the house every day.
2) There is someone there who loves you, every day, no matter what.
3) When you are out walking, having your little mate with you is a definite “ice-breaker” for conversations.
4) There is someone else depending on you. Don’t let them down. (Hint: it’s not that hard! And it gives you that reason to keep going.)
I agree absolutely with the idea, BUT: please be honest with yourself first whether you are capable of looking after a pet first. There are many neglected pets who end up at the shelter because their owners become unable to care for them, and a big part of those reasons are mental illness.
If you feel up for this kind of responsibility, by all means, go for it - animals are true lifesavers.

I think life experience can help too.

It depends on the depression.
If it is a biological/chemical irregularity, medication might be the best course of action.
However, I have heard that depression can be an indication of anger directed inwardly.

I agree. I was mostly referring to the "textbook" reference, which I realize was not meant to be a literal reference to textbooks. But I went with it anyway, and a textbook would definitely recommend antidepressants.

Antidepressants should definitely not be the first thing to try. But, if suicidal, I think it may be.

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom