• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

How do you handle being under pressure?

Aspie_With_Attitude

V.I.P Member

I had made a video explaining how being put under pressure is a fact of life for all. Being under pressure isn't a pleasant feeling as we all know. Since most of us are on the autism spectrum, I thought that I like to had shared this video content that I had uploaded a couple of weeks ago and explain how pressures would effect any individuals who are autistic, only going by my life experience being autistic.

I just try to process it best I can until it goes away, while trying to remember all I learned about how to solve it. Doesn't always work though!a

Under pressure I break things down to bite sized bits and estimate a reasonable completion duration. I never waver from that estimate and will not be pressured into swifter completion without hefty concessions like significant time off or more resources.

I’m generally not good under pressure. A fast paced or hectic job is usually the wrong fit for me.

It’s often hard for me to make quick decisions because I don’t think on my feet very well. That’s why I usually ask for help. Also, last minute changes generally do throw me off.

Sometimes when I don’t know what to do about something I leave it alone. The answer may come to me later.

Badly until I snap stop carrying and fix whatever causes the pressure. Or stay away from ones that can’t be fixed.

It depends on what the pressure is. I do not do well when the pressure is social in any form. It induces overwhelming anxiety which can become totally crippling.

If it is physical or only to do with me, where I am free to manage it myself, then I handle it well and without any anxiety.

It depends on what the pressure is. I do not do well when the pressure is social in any form. It induces overwhelming anxiety which can become totally crippling.

If it is physical or only to do with me, where I am free to manage it myself, then I handle it well and without any anxiety.
Can you give an example?

Whenever I am under pressure, I forcibly ignore that pressure and put all of my efforts into efficiency. Many times, I satisfy the objective, even early; sometimes I do not. But I am worse, in terms of time AND quality, if I try to operate in a panic. (I am thinking mostly in terms of deadlines.)

Last edited:
For me it really depends on what kind of pressure.
If pressure means a high work load. As long as I am alone, or not bothered atleast I can work really well under a high work load.
I have worked in an 'open'-kitchen and as long as I could just take order I could do a multitude of things at a time and keep track who ordered what.
The problem for me begins when a deeper social aspect comes into play. If people ask me if I can keep up, or try to ask me anything other than something that is directly linked to the task and just requires a yes or no answer.
I need to switch of off my tasks when I need to answer someone because I need to put my brain into talking mode. Talking mode and working mode do not go together. It is like an on/off switch. One or the other.

I work as a janitor at a high school. Normally the job is done with 3 people. But these have been times I was alone because of various reasons. And I am the only one that can get the full job done at the end of the day. Mind you, after 2 days of this I burn out because it is simply too much work. But I do not engage into talking. Just helping everyone and move on. No social chit chat.

It depends what kind of pressure and what setting. If it's sight-reading music for choir and I'm exhausted and frustrated with myself...or in church on Sunday mornings and I have the pressure to play everything right, then inside I'm a frantic mess.

If it's being under the microscope at retail, again--it depends on what kind of pressure.

Can you give an example?
An example of what social verses physical means?

Social pressure has to do with people; waiting on people in a store or doing something for a person with them present and watching, supervising or working with another person or people = Social. I feel smothered by their eyes and mentality. This is where I do my worst.

Physical or only to do with me = not social - not to do with people. Working on a home improvement build project; working in my design lab on one of my projects, repairing an auto or appliance, etc. All alone, just me, not under some person's control, supervision or social observation - no smothering eyes. This is where I do my best.

Pressure or stress physical or social I go at my pace to insure the authenticity of my work. Personal or business. I try not to worry what others think in that aspect even if I don’t meet their demand. I lack high anxiety so maybe my perspective is moot here.

Stress is hard for me to deal with, especially as there are urgent things that are important and need doing. It would clog up my brain function.

I told my at the time primary care provider once when I was really lost. He told me to make a list on a piece of paper and do one thing at a time.

I call this “JC’s list.” And because it was a “prescription” I would do what he said. His direction took the insanity out of it.

New Threads

Top Bottom