• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

How do you feel about mirrors?

How do you feel about mirrors

• neither for nor against

Votes: 22 45.8%
  • dislike intensely

Votes: 13 27.1%
  • like em

Votes: 7 14.6%
  • the steal your soul

Votes: 6 12.5%

• Total voters
I view mirrors as necessary in order to check that I look presentable before stepping out of the front door on my way to work.

At other times, non work days, I don't really care about my appearance so much, but work requires a mask and that mask includes clean tidy hair, make up and clean ironed clothes.

Mirrors as an object, not as a looking glass, I absolutely love. I have an interest in antique and vintage items and have several original French Victorian mirrors. I love the frames, the carvings and enjoy looking at them as they're so well made. Total opposite to some of the rubbish in High Street shops :)

The important thing is:
Vampires are transparent from mirrors, which means that not only is the light from vampires not being reflected by mirrors (which should result in a black spot), but the mirror also posesses the power capture and reflect the light from behind the vampire through the vampire. The vampire is supposed to directly block the light from the other side, and since we see, the vampire does.
Mirrors must have much more power than expected. The mirror holds the secret to capturing light behind objects without touch or energy input, which from a physics standpoint is extraordinary.

Depends on the situation. For example, I was in a clothes shop the other day and almost every wall and pillar had mirrors, with bright lights and racks of clothes reflected in each surface. Confusing and painful.

The important thing is:
Vampires are transparent from mirrors, which means that not only is the light from vampires not being reflected by mirrors (which should result in a black spot), but the mirror also posesses the power capture and reflect the light from behind the vampire through the vampire. The vampire is supposed to directly block the light from the other side, and since we see, the vampire does.
Mirrors must have much more power than expected. The mirror holds the secret to capturing light behind objects without touch or energy input, which from a physics standpoint is extraordinary.

There's definitely something uncanny about them, I think it's to do with scrying.

Mirrors give me a really, really eerie feeling. Because I live so much in my head, mirrors makes me feel like I am someone else. Like an alien. Mirrors realize me - they make me realize me as a physical entity. But they still make me feel like someone else is looking at me, like I'm seeing the person whose just been watching me my entire life, someone who wishes they were me, not that the person actually is me. The eyes are undoubtedly mine, but the physical vessel itself feels like hers . . . except that no one else controls it - I do. Normally, in situations involving other human beings, I look at someone's face; I know the person, I approach them (or they approach me), I talk to them, and then they respond, yeah?

Except that my reflection doesn't do that! I go to the mirror for a simple fashion check-up and it turns into a complete existential crisis that my reflection isn't a different person - it's me, and it's so hard to register!!! :eek:

. . . and then I walk away and forget I'm a physical entity again :p

Mirrors give me a really, really eerie feeling. Because I live so much in my head, mirrors makes me feel like I am someone else. Like an alien. Mirrors realize me - they make me realize me as a physical entity. But they still make me feel like someone else is looking at me, like I'm seeing the person whose just been watching me my entire life, someone who wishes they were me, not that the person actually is me. The eyes are undoubtedly mine, but the physical vessel itself feels like hers . . . except that no one else controls it - I do.

Similar for me

They're either there, or not.

Useful when setting up two if needing to trim back of own hair because having difficulty getting out of the house sometimes.

I'm not drawn to them like the rest of my family are.
- their teeth have remained in the same place for many, many years but they still require a mirror to watch themselves brushing?

One of the most curious things I've watched to date was my asking a colleague a question,
we just happened to be stood by quite a long length mirror.

She answered my question by talking to herself in a mirror.
(no personal grooming involved)
she appeared to be watching herself speak.
To this day, I still can't figure out why she did that. :)

I don't like them.

When I was staying in my grandmother's house I took up the habit of covering the mirror in my room with a bed sheet. One morning I forgot to remove it, then my grandmother upon seeing the covered mirror asked me if I did it because I was afraid of ghosts.

Being afraid of ghosts seemed more easy to explain than being afraid of my own face.

I dislike them but not intensely. One is necessary in the house, in the bathroom, don't need any more.

They're either there, or not.

Useful when setting up two if needing to trim back of own hair because having difficulty getting out of the house sometimes.

I'm not drawn to them like the rest of my family are.
- their teeth have remained in the same place for many, many years but they still require a mirror to watch themselves brushing?

One of the most curious things I've watched to date was my asking a colleague a question,
we just happened to be stood by quite a long length mirror.

She answered my question by talking to herself in a mirror.
(no personal grooming involved)
she appeared to be watching herself speak.
To this day, I still can't figure out why she did that
. :)

I'd be curious about that too and knowing me re: impulse control, I'd have asked why she was doing it :D:D:D

Mirrors give me a really, really eerie feeling. Because I live so much in my head, mirrors makes me feel like I am someone else. Like an alien. Mirrors realize me - they make me realize me as a physical entity. But they still make me feel like someone else is looking at me, like I'm seeing the person whose just been watching me my entire life, someone who wishes they were me, not that the person actually is me. The eyes are undoubtedly mine, but the physical vessel itself feels like hers . . . except that no one else controls it - I do. Normally, in situations involving other human beings, I look at someone's face; I know the person, I approach them (or they approach me), I talk to them, and then they respond, yeah?

Except that my reflection doesn't do that! I go to the mirror for a simple fashion check-up and it turns into a complete existential crisis that my reflection isn't a different person - it's me, and it's so hard to register!!! :eek:

. . . and then I walk away and forget I'm a physical entity again :p

Sounds like depersonalisation to me.

Having a mirror helps when I am shaving my head in the morning. It also reminds me to eat at Popeye’s less often.

I dislike mirrors and avoid them as much as I can. I will use one to shave, comb my hair or whatever but I am good at doing those things without looking that person in the eyes.

While I worked as a computer technician, I once sat at a man's computer only to find he had a mirror immediately to the right of his monitor (about 8x10 in), another one only larger just to the right of that, and then at 90 degrees to my right (on the wall) was a full length mirror! I was totally creeped out. I finished my work asap and moved on.

HOWEVER!

Being gender gifted I present in feminine mode when I can and that changes everything. When I am expressing my feminine side, I cannot get enough of mirrors. I have a full length mirror that is not hung on a wall so I can have it nearby wherever I go in the house. Interesting how such an aversion can change, isn't it?

But I'm a woman Neil and I don't like 'em. That may be some other type of change, altered state thing, maybe it becomes you!

@unperson, I was in no way trying to generalize about women, only saying that MY reaction on seeing a woman looking back at me is much preferable to that man who has been there for so many years.

This is indeed a profound topic, delving into things like our self concept/self esteem, what we thought of our parents (who we realize we look more like the older we get), how satisfied we are with the way we have lived our lives, and many other equally weighty matters. It would be nice if a professional (psychologist or therapist) could contribute to this thread.

New Threads

Top Bottom