• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

How do you feel about apologies?

An apology can't change anything, what is done is done. But it does show an acceptance of responsibility for the wrongdoing, with the hope that the person may learn from their mistake.

Well actually my view of apologies feels more mechanical than that. By "fixing" I don't necessarily mean fixing the relationship or the damage done to the other person. I see it as fixing the situation, i.e. bringing order back to it: if a problem was my doing, I'm sorry and if I can fix the damage, I will; if I can fix the relationship, great; if none of that is possible, then at least I've acknowledged that I was the one who caused the problem/brought disorder in the world and I tried to convey it to the other person so that we're as clear as possible about that.

Maybe that acknowledgment is the maximum that I can do - if it is, then that's what I must do (the maximum I can do to bring order back).

Maybe this sounds weird :sweat:

I was in my tiny fishing boat, first cast of the season, looking for bass. Into the branches, rats. Ten minutes later, second cast. Bang. Spent the next 20 minutes literally being pulled around the lake by an angry Muskie on 6# test. I’d give you the details, but what’s the point? It’s just another fish story.

Nobody believes fish stories because they have been legendarily abused. My fish story is 100% real, but it has all the value of most of the apologies I’ve heard. I resent that, but don’t apologize.

I was in my tiny fishing boat, first cast of the season, looking for bass. Into the branches, rats. Ten minutes later, second cast. Bang. Spent the next 20 minutes literally being pulled around the lake by an angry Muskie on 6# test. I’d give you the details, but what’s the point? It’s just another fish story.

Nobody believes fish stories because they have been legendarily abused. My fish story is 100% real, but it has all the value of most of the apologies I’ve heard. I resent that, but don’t apologize.
I'm sorry
(bad joke?)

New Threads

Top Bottom