• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

How and why to build muscle

Building muscle is one of the single best investments you can make in your functionality. Aside from decreasing fat stores, improving cardiac strength and health, energy, horomone lebels and mood, it can also improve blood presdure and offset the effects of excessive caffiene consumption. (A necessity for my fumctionality)
There are three ways muscles hypertrophy aside from steroids (excercise releases testosterone so youre covered on this level as well) and these are; volume (how often it is used) , resistance (the weights you are lifting or resistance force of a band) and the accumulation of lactic acid (this is the stuff that makes your muscles cramp after using them excessively.
An ideal workout routine would employ all of these at once combined with either an increase in food intake if youre skinny, or a change to higher protein foods if youre fat.

A common problem is getting a big enough appetite to hypertrophy. For most of the people who thin of themselves as "hard gainers" this is the actual problem. For this, cannabis is virtually indespensile in the begining.
Once you get it going, however, this should become less necessary as your body renormalises. After this you shouldnt even need it to jump to another level.
Cardiovascular exercise can also help with this as you normally come back with an increased appetite which accounts for all your consumed calories and so increases your nutrient intake.

Last edited:
It does depend on the individual though. What works for one person could be an absolute disaster full of injury and pain for another.

In my case for instance, there's no way in funky heck that I could do anything that might be considered hard exercise or a full workout routine. My physical therapist as well as every family member would shout at me a lot if I were foolish enough to try it. And if I DID try it, likely the only result would be getting all locked up yet again. This sort of thing, it doesnt go well when you've got nerve/tendon issues or other problems of that nature.

Not that I have any desire to do it anyway. But for those that do, if there's already pain of some sort before even doing anything... get that checked out BEFORE attempting any exercise routines. I've seen what happens when you do that in the wrong order and it turns out that something really was off. It aint pretty.

It does depend on the individual though. What works for one person could be an absolute disaster full of injury and pain for another.

In my case for instance, there's no way in funky heck that I could do anything that might be considered hard exercise or a full workout routine. My physical therapist as well as every family member would shout at me a lot if I were foolish enough to try it. And if I DID try it, likely the only result would be getting all locked up yet again. This sort of thing, it doesnt go well when you've got nerve/tendon issues or other problems of that nature.

Not that I have any desire to do it anyway. But for those that do, if there's already pain of some sort before even doing anything... get that checked out BEFORE attempting any exercise routines. I've seen what happens when you do that in the wrong order and it turns out that something really was off. It aint pretty.

Not everyone is built the same, but a lot of the advse given was specific to certain circumstances. Its also important to get rest inbetween increasing your routine. If your getting the normal amount thats gine, but if youre pushing it to increase strength you need to rest the next day and only do light workouts to maintain bloodflow and help recovery.

Coming from the perspective of a former national-level powerlifter, 11 national records at 100 and 110kg. All I can say is "all things in moderation" is probably a better approach to this. When I was under 40 and could really push myself to the max (passing out, bloody noses, burst blood vessels, torn ligaments, torn muscles),...and recover,...that is one thing. Now,...at 55,...I am still at 105kg, but with such debilitating arthritis in my knees and ankles I can't go to work, mow the lawn, or go for a walk with my wife without loading up on ibuprofen. I am on all the supplements for joint health,...my knees and ankles sound like stiff leather trying to flex.

Now having said that, I do understand where you are coming from. A regular and consistent strength training regimen is, in my opinion, one of the best ways to get into shape and maintain a healthy body composition.

Exercise of any kind is so important. First l jogged to get confidence to leave an abusive spouse. Then l jogged to get thru divorce 2+ years from Satan.

Now l jog because it resets my brain and l leave with a runner's high, sometimes singing to myself as l walk to the car.

On those days l can barely drag my boredom, and sleepy body to my car, it transforms me into a female with a purpose or the illusion of a purposeful human being.

It will improve your overall health and wellbeing. Teach You self discipline l. You will gain confidence. It's better to try it than not. Body building it's a hard work but really paying off in the long run. No harm in trying it:)

New Threads

Top Bottom