• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

How about a bone marrow transplant to cure your autism?

Loomis

In the new study, the team of investigators first focused on creating a mouse model that connected autism-related behaviors with immune irregularities...

They were able to fix several of the autism-like behaviors by offering the offspring a bone-marrow transplant from regular mice....

Based on their work with mice, the researchers believe that the results cannot be completely be compared with humans. <---GOOD THINKING They still need to investigate whether an infusion of stem cells or the bone marrow transplant procedure helped correct the behaviors....

The study showed how immune irregularities in adolescents could be a possible target for treating behaviors related to the autism spectrum disorder.

Immune Irregularities Linked To Autism - Health News - redOrbit

The work was supported by an Autism Speaks Weatherstone Fellowship

Last edited:
I was a bit premature with my criticism. I found this quote about the same research at another website:

The researchers emphasize that because the work was conducted in mice, the results cannot be readily extrapolated to humans, and they certainly do not suggest that bone-marrow transplants should be considered as a treatment for autism.

Caltech Researchers Find Evidence of Link between Immune Irregularities and Autism - Caltech Media Relations

One has to wonder why the first website I quoted in the post above this one left out the phrase "and they certainly do not suggest that bone-marrow transplants should be considered as a treatment for autism."

So much of the research is wrong headed. There is a paucity of research that shows any real understanding of ASD.

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom