• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Histamine intolerance anyone?

Jimbo

Anybody else suffer from histamine intolerance? I was diagnosed last week. It's when the body gets overloaded with histamines. The body releases histamines caused by stress, allergies and high histamine foods. If the body can't get rid of them it can cause all kinds of problems like rapid heartbeat, skin rashes, anxiety and a long list of other problems. It is sort of related to anxiety and my Dr. Prescribed an antihistamine that is also used for anxiety. I was just wondering if it could be something aspies are prone to due to the stress releasing histamines.

Last edited:
I think I may have this.

I have multiple chemical sensitivities (gluten, casein, sulphites, ammonia) that mostly cause neurological symptoms. I can manage them by avoidance and supplementation of methylation cycle.

Once they were all managed though, I still got reactions to things that could only be histamines I think.

Peas, red wine (I know there's sulphites, but I think something else as well), maybe peanuts, sometimes fish (that could be sulphites I guess), maybe chocolate.

I'm not 100% sure it is histamine intolerance, as it could also be my stomach not digesting things properly so they get into the gut undigested and then through the gut wall. From then the body attacks the proteins and you get a symptom flare up. That's the way gluten and casein work with opiate like chemicals getting to the brain, so it makes sense that the same could be true for histamines.

Antihistamines never helped me that much, and most of them knock me out.

Yes, I have this. I have asthma, multiple allergies, chemical and fragrance sensitivity and GERD (acid reflux), all interconnected. Additionally, I can only wear certain fabrics. It has something to do w the body interpreting things innocuous to others as a threat, then mast cells calling for release of histamine, then often having a systemic reaction to the histamine, including rashes, edema, breathing difficulty, conjunctivitis, anxiety and anger... Awful.

I quit a job a few years ago where I was constantly exposed to perfume and air freshener. I was on a dozen medications but now avoiding the triggers it is down to a manageable number. I take an antihistamine daily, have an antacid if I need it, a rescue asthma inhaler, epi-pens, eye drops. Rarely, I might take a Benadryl and sleep to get past a very bad reaction. I have a pretty good respirator I bring w me in case I get stuck on a long train ride, etc., and am forced to share space w someone wearing heavy fragrance.

As with most things, I seem to feel better overall with better function and less symptoms if I eat healthy, exercise, drink a lot of water and get good sleep.

Yes, I have this. I have asthma, multiple allergies, chemical and fragrance sensitivity and GERD (acid reflux), all interconnected. Additionally, I can only wear certain fabrics. It has something to do w the body interpreting things innocuous to others as a threat, then mast cells calling for release of histamine, then often having a systemic reaction to the histamine, including rashes, edema, breathing difficulty, conjunctivitis, anxiety and anger... Awful.

I quit a job a few years ago where I was constantly exposed to perfume and air freshener. I was on a dozen medications but now avoiding the triggers it is down to a manageable number. I take an antihistamine daily, have an antacid if I need it, a rescue asthma inhaler, epi-pens, eye drops. Rarely, I might take a Benadryl and sleep to get past a very bad reaction. I have a pretty good respirator I bring w me in case I get stuck on a long train ride, etc., and am forced to share space w someone wearing heavy fragrance.

I need to reacquaint myself w the mechanism of the brain-body connect that causes the anxiety, but there is a physiological cause. Once I learned that I stopped beating myself up for getting so upset when I would have an episode. I've become calmer about it too, I guess because I understand what's happening, I know what I need to do to care for myself and I accept that I have this condition.

As with most things, I seem to feel better overall with better function and less symptoms if I eat healthy, exercise, drink a lot of water and get good sleep.

I think I may be allergic to kids too.

Now we have 3 I seem to have a permanent headache accompanied by a feeling of impending doom!

i am not sure what histamine is,but i am on a rubbish anti histamine daily for hay fever, and those symptoms you mention of histamine intolerance sounds like me to,id like to be tested for it,how do you ask the doctor?

I think I may be allergic to kids too.

Now we have 3 I seem to have a permanent headache accompanied by a feeling of impending doom!
thats why im glad i only have nieces,you can give them back at the end of the day. ;)

I've had to take antihistamines my entire life. Usually must up my dosage this time of year as well. Cold weather and my sinuses...etc..

Interesting replies. My main symptoms were rapid heartbeat that would keep me up at night and high anxiety and panic attacks
. I finally put the pieces of the puzzle together and figured it out. I noticed that high histamine foods made it worse. These symptoms started after taking antibiotics. I have been having this latest round of it the past 12 months since I had surgery and was pumped full of antibiotics. The first time it happened was 20 years ago when I had a blood infection and had to take antibiotics for 30 days. It eventually went away the first time. Turns out the antibiotics killed the good bacteria in my gut which is responsible for breaking down extra histamines in food. When I talked to my doctor he confirmed that's what my problem was. Hopefully I can control it with a low histamine diet and restoring the bacteria in my intestines. For now I will take hydroxizine to keep my heart rate normal.

Last edited:
i am not sure what histamine is,but i am on a rubbish anti histamine daily for hay fever, and those symptoms you mention of histamine intolerance sounds like me to,id like to be tested for it,how do you ask the doctor?

First of all I would recommend doing some research on it so your doctor doesn't think k you are a nut. My doctor and his nurse were both very familiar with it. Unfortunately they didn't have access to a test for it. I have read on medical message boards that you can be tested to see if your DAO enzymes are low. This is the enzyme in your gut that destroys extra histamine in foods. All foods have some histamines as it is basically just bacteria. Some foods are just higher like meats, anything fermented like wine or vinegar, most dairy products, even some fruit.

New Threads

Top Bottom