• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Hi. I just realized I am on the spectrum.

TheGallifreyan

I'm 31 years old and I finally figured out that I am on the spectrum. I have always knew mind operated by different rules and I've spent my life trying to figure them out in what way. I'm some kind of high functioning (I think Aspergers, but don't know enough yet to say), but my social skills have gotten worse over the years. I have social shutdowns when I'm overwhelmed and over the years it's started happening when I'm not. I think because I know the people around me have seen me shut down and I feel like they think I'm weird.

I feel very excited to realize I am on the spectrum, I think knowing more about what is going on with my head and being able to explain it will make life a lot easier.

I have been thinking about it for awhile now. I had known about sensory overload for awhile and I've noticed that I seem to be very sensitive to sound. It wasn't until a couple nights ago I was at a wedding and the loud music and people caused a reaction. In the aftermath I finally put 2 and 2 together that sensory overload causes social shutdown. Over the last couple of days I've been listening to stories, studies, and such. So many things I am hearing where I'm like, I've struggled with that I've always wanted to know why.

I haven't talk to a doctor yet.

IMG_0089.JPG

I'm 31 years old and I finally figured out that I am on the spectrum. I have always knew mind operated by different rules and I've spent my life trying to figure them out in what way. I'm some kind of high functioning (I think Aspergers, but don't know enough yet to say), but my social skills have gotten worse over the years. I have social shutdowns when I'm overwhelmed and over the years it's started happening when I'm not. I think because I know the people around me have seen me shut down and I feel like they think I'm weird.

I feel very excited to realize I am on the spectrum, I think knowing more about what is going on with my head and being able to explain it will make life a lot easier.

I have been thinking about it for awhile now. I had known about sensory overload for awhile and I've noticed that I seem to be very sensitive to sound. It wasn't until a couple nights ago I was at a wedding and the loud music and people caused a reaction. In the aftermath I finally put 2 and 2 together that sensory overload causes social shutdown. Over the last couple of days I've been listening to stories, studies, and such. So many things I am hearing where I'm like, I've struggled with that I've always wanted to know why.

I figured out that I have Aspergers, myself. I was not ready to be able to believe it when two different men told me they thought I had Aspergers, years ago. It took me that long to run across what things people with Aspergers feel and do by accident and which described me. This started me doing a lot more research about it.

It did not take me long to be sure that I have Aspergers. I keep making new discoveries about why I did certain things a long time ago. For a little while, I was kind of trying to look for things so I could tell myself I didn't have Aspergers. Now, i get kind of excited by finding new reasons to know that I have Aspergers. This is because it gives me a sense of belonging and helps me understand myself better.

Understanding myself better helps me a lot to accept the parts of myself that I can not change. It also helps me to figure out how to deal with life better.

I found it a bit hard to accept at first, but, as I researched Aspergers and joined this forum, it was like wow, this all describes me. I finally found reasons for my ways that I related to.
Welcome aboard!

Hi, welcome to aspieland.
Figuring out the answer, and putting in that piece of jigsaw feels great. I've struggled all my life. I'm (39). I have my official assessment start tomorrow.

I only accidentally came across some info on TV a few months ago that sounded familiar, turned out a lady was AS. And she never knew till she was 40, masking like a pro she was.

So I told my health nurse. It's been a rollercoaster for the last 3 months. I'm beginning to truly embrace myself. I felt real positive and like u said. Excited - (New obsession and focus thingy)

Good luck, this place kept me in a good frame of mind, throughout.

Hi, TheGallifreyan. I think you'll find that people are warm and welcoming here, and many of us are in the same boat. I'm 29, nearing the big 3-0, and I didn't find out about Aspergers until a couple years ago while in college. Once I realized that I was on the spectrum a lot of my life started to make more sense. Like you said, 2 and 2 finally came together.

For me, it's almost like I was living my life with all these puzzle pieces, not knowing what went where. Then finally the Aspie clue put everything into perspective and I was able to put the bigger picture together. And that was a relief.

I haven't had a professional diagnosis either but I have researched, read, watched videos, and taken quite a few online quizzes regarding ASD. In doing so, I've formed a pretty solid opinion that I'm on spectrum. I also find ASD fascinating. I mean, I've learned a lot about myself and the way my mind works and I've learned so much more from the people here. So I hope you enjoy these forums too. Welcome! :)

New Threads

Top Bottom