• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Hi from Canada...

Critterlover

Hi, I live on Vancouver Island which is on the west coast of Canada, and it's a beautiful place to live!
Last night I just had an "Aha" moment...I realized that I probably have (mild) Aspergers. All of my life I have been "different" from others, I've always known this and it has bothered me. I'm not like other people, I don't like to make eye contact, hate social situations (Christmas parties....yuck!) and absolutely cannot make (or like) small talk. I have always been very blunt and like to speak my mind, when I was younger this tended to make me unpopular. Now I try to curtail it a bit more because I know it's not always socially acceptable. I don't feel much empathy towards people, except those that are close to me...my own family. I have always LOVED animals and feel very connected with them. They tend to gravitate towards me and people have always noticed this. I read a comment on this forum where somebody said that at a party they would be in the corner playing with the family pet...oh that would most definitely be me!
I am a loner, I'm quite happy to be by myself, whether it's shopping or walking my dogs. I know that people sense something is different about me, I've always known that, even when I was a child. I've always been a non conformist - I just like to do things my own way and it seems to be different from everyone else. Lol
Anyway, I was on a dog forum last night and somebody referred to themselves as an "Aspie", I had never heard of this so I looked it up. When I read the definition I thought...."holy cow that's me!!"
I somehow feel better now, I'm 52 yrs old and I finally know why I'm so different!

Hi Critterlover. Welcome to this amazing site. I have found that the people here are interesting and very supportive. I too love animals and would rather hang out with them than with people. I think you'll find a lot of usefull information here. Enjoy yourself.

New Threads

Top Bottom