• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Hi everyone

Spud58

My name is Andy, I am a 34 year old disabled Marine Corps veteran, and just recently found out about Aspergers when my 10 year old daughter was diagnosed and sent to a treatment center very recently. After researching a bit, I realized that I could possibly be an Aspie myself, looking back at my life and social awkwardness, anxiety in groups of more than 3-4 even if it was friends or family, very few friends, not knowing how to talk to people, or keep a conversation going, inability to hold a job or relationship for more than a few months to a year, the list goes on and on. I took some tests online, scored 35-36 I don't remember, had my roommate take one, she scored a 9. My roommate is also my ex girlfriend, one of my longer relationships (3 years on and off) and she also says it explains a lot about me.

It has been a very rough past couple weeks finding out all this, it is a relief to know (possibly) why my life has been this way, but I am fighting depression with it too. I get the feeling of being different, not accepted, and a lot of paranoia about how I am now too. I guess I need to learn more and stop trying to blame myself for what I can't help. Very hard to do with how I have raised myself to respond to social situations.

I have hopes that I can get a real diagnosis through the VA but I am not holding my breath for that one. I read it's a long hard process to have done,but I want to start down that road if I can ASAP.

Enough rambling from me heh, I will be around the forums I hope, see you there!

Semper Fi
Andy

Welcome aboard! Navy Vet here, but all the same team :)
I got my diagnosis at 32-33 through private insurance. It's quite an adjustment. Hope you enjoy the forums. Best wishes. Semper Fidelis

Welcome to AC, Andy. Hopefully you'll get more answers to so many questions. And most of all, discover you aren't alone in a world that seems so often to be alien for us.

Love the gallery Rocco, very cool stuff, I could stare at those for a long time and kind of lose myself in them :)

What did you do in the Navy? It was definitely difficult for me in the military, Aviation electronics on CH-53E, loved the job, didn't care for a lot of the people though, felt like high school. Sadly I got out in 03 when the airlines were all shutting down so I couldn't find any work there. A lot of times I miss it, and I wish I knew what I was, maybe I would have been able to stay in.

Judge, thanks for the welcome, and it's a relief to know I'm not alone here, because yeah, it seems alien to me a lot!

Ha! You must have gone through Pensacola also then? We used to PT with you guys down there.
I was an Aviation Electrician on the E2C Hawkeye. Same deal for me, didn't much care for the people, liked the structure, travel, and job though. I went on to join the electricians union eventually. Nice benes and retirement with union.
Thanks for the gallery feed back :)

Sure did, end of 98 to early 99, 6 months of A school in the new hotel style barracks hah. Would be awesome to get back into the field but I'd need a lot of schooling again it's been so long.

Welcome Andy :)

Hopefully, by coming here, you'll not only learn more about AS, but you may very well learn more about who you are. It's quite natural to feel a little segregated from society, when you wear such a label, but it's important to remember, that you are still the same person, whatever the outcome of a diagnoses. Hopefully, in time, you will learn to be more confident in who you are.

I've included a few links below, which you may find useful.

Resources: Autism & Asperger's Resources | AspiesCentral.com

Tony Attwood: Home

New Threads

Top Bottom