• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Here's hopping i'm in the right place :)

confused_becca

Too confused
Hey everyone!
So my name is becca. I'm new.
I'm not sure if i'm a real aspie or if its all in my head. I know that sounds odd, but i don't want to just say "yes i am" without official diagnosis.

if i don't really belong to this group, let me know.
there's so much i don't know about autism or the whole spectrum.
Since i was in elementary school, i knew i was kinda different.
It took me forever to figure out what sarcasm was, and my stepbrother always teased me for being gullible

There's a lot of jokes i don't get but when other people are laughing i laugh.

I always preferred to listen to conversation, but rarely interject. For the most part i comprehend what people are saying but 99 times out of 100 i never come up with my own thing to interject. Or if i have something to say, when do i say it? When is the appropriate time for me to say something, especially when there's 2+ people i'm supposed to me communicating to. Sometimes when i do speak, apparently it doesn't fit in with what they are saying. sometimes i get the puppy head tilt. usually i get "what are you saying" "i don't get what your trying to say"
Sometimes i listen to conversations, and someone will say something that to me doesn't seem to have anything to do with whats being disused or doesn't make sense at all, but the other person gets it some how.

Also pointing out that i don't understand something, in conversation, or at school when everyone else does is just embarrassing. when i ask for clarification and they show me something that's supposed to be obvious, or they think its obvious i feel stupid.

One of my more embarrassing things.... instead of looking at faces i tend to look at chests... men and women. when i realize i'm doing it, i snap my head up, that's right look at the face. (i mostly look at chests when one person is speaking to someone else, and i happen to be there.
There are things I've improved on over the years. Mostly because people constantly point out those things to me and make me feel bad for doing it.
I no longer stare/watch people who are not interacting at me
no longer hum while i eat. (as far as i know)
I now know that i have to look at my teacher/professor when he/she is giving the lecture.

I have extremely poor math skills, grammar skills, and spelling skills. If it wasn't for googlechromes autocorect i'm sure several people i message would... i don't know... shake there fists profusely. I still count on my fingers, and i say my abc's every time i have to alphabetize or find a client file at the office.
Maybe i have a Learning disability, I don't know.

I was never diagnosed in schools
i had an IEP for speech therapy but as far as i know, none of my other problems were ever addressed. I think it was easier to just pass me on to the next grade
My parents never noticed because they share several of my traits.

Currently i'm trying to make an appointment with the disability councilor at school, but what are my options?

So... am i in the right place?

A lot of that sounds pretty familiar, I think you'll fit in well here :)
Asperger's has a lot of small variants amongst invidivuals and co morbid coniditions, I think, and that can make some of it confusing. Forums like this one are a good way of breaking all of that down and working out which is you, AS or something else.

If a diagnoses is important to you, personally, then I would suggest you go ahead and get one. If you aren't certain, that's a good place to start, but it's also good to do your own research about it as well. I'm not sure what you mean by your other options question, though.

Anyways, welcome!

Welcome to Aspies Central. Hope you'll find this place a useful place to have fun.

Don't worry. We all have different strengths :)

Ya I think all of us here can relate to most of those things you pointed out. Have fun here!

thanks everyone!

the more i read in this forum the more i feel in the right place, and the less i feel isolated

all the stuff i thought was weird / quirky about myself is all getting into perspective now, and it really makes me feel good to know i'm not alone

New Threads

Top Bottom