• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Herbal remedies??

As indicated in my " wired" thread in the the anxiety section, I am going through tough times now.

What was a night time sleeping problem only a few weeks ago is now chronic, and more of a daytime waking problem.
I am not capable of even sitting down at a restaurant for breakfast with my parents. I cannot sit still for anything. I need to get up from the restaurant table and walk around outside. I cannot go to a movie or I will need to get up every five minutes and walk around in the lobby. If forced to sit still, I would literally go insane and probably eventually shake uncontrollably.

These are "bizarreness attacks" caused my inability to accept how bizarre and futile my life has been.

When I was about 24 years old, I came to the conclusion I was the most bizarre person to have ever lived, but even this feeling has not interfered with my daily living until now, 37 years later, although my sense of being the most bizarre has never abated.

I believe the main trigger has been my mom's stress and depression, caused by her having to care for my dad's dementia, and the realization three days ago that her driving privaleges were revoked by the DMV.
An 86 year old woman should not need to care for an 87 year old man, but it has come to this, and made worse by transportation issues.

Having no work for the summer has also isolated me by eliminating a normal deviation.

But I digress. What I really need is an herbal supplement that will relax my nerves and allow me to sit still again. I can't write my autobiography if I am wired and can't sit still.

What are a some of the best quickly obtainable options that can be taken in capsule or pill form?

SAM, Ashwaganda and gkino have been mentioned here, are they the best options?

Ginkgo
Ginseng
Rhodiola Rosea
Fish Oil
Multi-vitamin
B-complex

Or actually treating the problem, such as Adderall and/or an anxiety medication, depending on what what exactly the problem is.

As indicated in my " wired" thread in the the anxiety section, I am going through tough times now.

What was a night time sleeping problem only a few weeks ago is now chronic, and more of a daytime waking problem.
I am not capable of even sitting down at a restaurant for breakfast with my parents. I cannot sit still for anything. I need to get up from the restaurant table and walk around outside. I cannot go to a movie or I will need to get up every five minutes and walk around in the lobby. If forced to sit still, I would literally go insane and probably eventually shake uncontrollably.

These are "bizarreness attacks" caused my inability to accept how bizarre and futile my life has been.

When I was about 24 years old, I came to the conclusion I was the most bizarre person to have ever lived, but even this feeling has not interfered with my daily living until now, 37 years later, although my sense of being the most bizarre has never abated.

I believe the main trigger has been my mom's stress and depression, caused by her having to care for my dad's dementia, and the realization three days ago that her driving privaleges were revoked by the DMV.
An 86 year old woman should not need to care for an 87 year old man, but it has come to this, and made worse by transportation issues.

Having no work for the summer has also isolated me by eliminating a normal deviation.

But I digress. What I really need is an herbal supplement that will relax my nerves and allow me to sit still again. I can't write my autobiography if I am wired and can't sit still.

What are a some of the best quickly obtainable options that can be taken in capsule or pill form?

SAM, Ashwaganda and gkino have been mentioned here, are they the best options?

Ginko and Rhodiola cause insomnia and agitation/energizing and probably ginseng too, Id suggest for anxiety and insomnia something that enhances your mental capacity too like the previous ones you mentioned, Bacopa Monnieri which also calms. Valerian is good too

A safer alternative to Adderall for ADHD would be Piracetam, should be over the counter too. Scratch that, its not allowed in US, cause its not studied enough

I just got back from the pharmacy to get some suggestions. She started to recommend Valerian, but quickly retracted because she said it might not be safe with some medications, including cholesterol medication.
She then said to get recommendations from your doctor and stop medication when symptoms pass.

I did buy some 5-HTP capsules. I took one about an hour ago so it is too soon to tell if it is working.
I might be feeling 40% better, so this could be a placebo effect.
I already take fish oil and other remedies for heart and general health that include b-complex.
I will probably try valerian anyway if this does not work.
My issues are also related to nasal congestion, so i bought some internal dialators, but the dialators take up so much space in the nostril that it seems to neutralize the widened passages, I took it out immediately.

Eucalyptus nose drops is the best for congestion and Id prolly use internal use Eucalyptus essential oil dilluted because want it or not nose drops end up in the mouth. So taste and toxicity is important. My doc gave me eye drops for nose and she said theyre safe to use but the prescription said only intended for eyes, and the taste was so bad and bitter i couldnt take it any longer.

I have now been taking HTP-5 for nearly four days.
It seems to reduce my bizarre anxiety symptoms by about 65-70% .

I am pleased and will continue.

You are allowed four capsules every 24 hours. I take 2-3 a day.

It costs about $13 for 30 capsules.

I might have been overly optimistic. After 3-4 days, the anxiety symptoms seem to have returned.

I was in a great mood last night as i was at a rock concert enjoying one of my favorite tribute bands, but the symptoms returned when I could not enjoy the performance of my 2nd greatest song of all time. This was because someone kicked over my bucket of popcorn when I was gone at intermission. I did not even ask for the popcorn. There was slipperiness and lots of popcorn kernals beneath my feet. This affected me when I had to stand. It ruined my concentration and enjoyment of the concert.
My very favorite song was ruined at a concert five years ago when a parking attendant led me with my one day old truck into a ditch, and I was worried throughout that I would not get out. I barely did.

Misery loves company, but since these weird things seemed to only happen to me, I suffered more bizarreness attacks.
Otherwise, I think I would have been in a good relaxed mood today, but was once again troubled by the deviations from the law of averages.
The theater holds 1600, I saw no popcorn any under any other seats as we exited.

Last edited:
I like the classic ginger and lemon tea for colds.

Also, a doctor once suggested valerian tablets for insomnia, which I suffer from occasionally. I was blown away by how well they worked. I didn't expect much from them because they are herbal. Boy, do I sleep soundly after taking one.

My pharmacist was about to suggest valerian, but retracted due to a[possible interaction with cholesterol drugs.
Is valerian safe to take during the day, or to drive, or will it put you to sleep?

I've had my popcorn knocked over, and I've driven into a ditch, and I've seen both of these things happen on television!

Sorry @Edward764 I just saw your post.

My pharmacist was about to suggest valerian, but retracted due to a[possible interaction with cholesterol drugs.
Is valerian safe to take during the day, or to drive, or will it put you to sleep?

I was going to answer that no, valerian for for sleepy time only, but I did just read that it has been used for anxiety though with limited scientific research to support these uses.

I would imagine if you used it during the day it would have to be a lower dose than I take for sleeping because I have a very sound rest indeed.

Probably best to follow the doctor and pharmacists advice. Also, I don't know anything about the cholesterol medication.

I live with the best best best best best best best best best mom ever and we take homeopathic reamends i stared taking homeopathic reamends when i was 2 years old

there is a company called vibranz and one of the thing they sell is somthing called love spray you put it on your forhead and in a minute or so you feel 100% better i have been taking it for 2 or 3 years i think and it worked wonders for me i hoped that i helped you

Not what I was expecting....forehead. I was thinking somewhere else.

New Threads

Top Bottom