• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Help Please: Possible Aspie. Very Very long, only read if you're interested in helping :)

i hate repeating myself, but i will willingly (and unknowingly sometimes) do it. but that's also because i stutter and generally will speak softly compared to others around me. even if it's in a loud room (which i hate anyway) i only have a slightly louder tone than speaking in a quiet area (which, having a monotone voice is also an aspie trait.... i can whisper but basically nobody hears me then lol. and i can yell.... which scares the living hell out of everybody because i never yell unless i'm VERY mad. so me being that loud scares and confuses everybody within earshot) but i'll usually groan or such (maybe silently if i think they'll hear me) but i can't repeat it a 3rd time, i just give up by then. and since i stutter, sometimes i can't even physically repeat it if i want to so i'll just say "nevermind" or such.. or i'll totally reword what i said to try and keep the same meaning but use words i can say that time around. ("what did mike say about his car?" may turn into "mike said he had some car problems, right?" or something like that..... which is fine if they didn't really hear me at all. but some people ask you to repeat yourself because they think you may be lieing.. and since i can't repeat myself word for word, they won't believe what i said)

also.. i do have a habit of missing some lines of text. i'm not dyslexic or anything, but i've had the same problem since i was a kid. i never read 1 book required for school.. instead i would research everything i could on the book so i could pass whatever tests we were doing for it. basically, by the time i get to the end of the line of text and go back to read the next line, i keep losing my place (for example.. "keep" is on the line above, and "losing" is on this line. but, reading it, i get "i keep tests we were doing..." and know that's wrong so i glance back and then see i should be reading "losing my place". which is compounded by the fact that my memory is terrible for text and verbal stuff so i'll forget what i'm typing and re-read my own stuff just to keep going lol)

planning/routines do touch on the OCD thing, but they're also a big aspie trait. i actually just mentioned this to somebody else i've been talking with online. basically.... everything needs to be fully planned out. which is fine, most people plan before a trip. but "most people" just figure out where they want to go, how long, what to wear, and say "ok, i planned.. lets go". whereas people with aspergers need to figure out the weather for the time they'll be in that area, possibilities that the weather may be wrong, where exactly to go (not just "the beach"... which beach, multiple beaches, what might be a good place to eat, what hotel you'll be at, what type of rental car to use.. if you should even need a rental car..) who you may meet, how busy the areas will be, what time you're going to go to certain places (if the hotel has breakfast at 8am, maybe wake up at 7:30, get ready.. have breakfast, by 8:30 you can stroll down the boardwalk checking the shops, by 10 you're at the beach........)........ there's various degrees of that planning. some may need to plan it down to the minute or even know what stores will be on the boardwalk so when they roam by they have a plan as to what shops to go into. others may say they can go to the beach for 2 hours or roam the stores for 2 hours but it doesn't matter which comes first)
i've never really been on vacation. my last real vacation was around age 10-11 when we went to a cabin in New Hampshire that we went to each year (my fathers boss has 2 cabins next to eachother.. but i never knew which one we were staying in until we got there. and it drove me nuts... eventhough i had been in both, liked both, and i liked the area they were in) but, more recently... about 7 years ago (yeah that's recent for me) i went with a family friend to Florida to see her father. i kept asking her about the area and what there was to do around there. eventually she told me his exact address and i spent a while googling the area and checking google maps (both street and satellite views) of the area so when i was there it would all be somewhat familer to me. because if it wasn't, then it would just be a week long panic attack

i'm not sure how much planning you generally need for things like that. but googling the area, surrounding stores, maybe finding a facebook page about the area.. could help. it's certainly a lot easier now to pull up that type of information than when i was young.

I despise repeating myself as well. After about 2 times of either saying a certain word/phrase, or explaining what I mean, I just give up.
I do yell fairly often, soemtimes intentionally, sometimes not. It still scares the crap out of the people around me. I recall during a dance class, we were filming a routine to send to our principal, something she requires each lesson. By that time, he had gone through the dance a hundred times and we were just done with it, not to mention it was the end of class. During the filming, it was going quite well, but one of my classmates had gone on the wrong foot and it threw her off for a second. She continued to dance with her hand raised calling 'Ms. Leah. Ms. Leah! I messed up, can we restart (she's fifteen years old for goodness sakes)' repeatedly, subsequently ruining the tape. My classmates were frustrated, but I was downright ready to burst.
"ChlooooOOOOEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" I let out my giant gorilla scream reserved for only the occasion where I A. wouldn't get in trouble for it and B. Was at the point of considering seriously maiming someone, making my whole class' jaws drop and gasp.They've never forgotten about that.

So yeah, there's that.

I completely relate on the whole 'missing lines' thing. I often either don't understand the material and re-read it, or completely skip the line/word/phrase. I re-read whole pages sometimes because I'm afraid I missed something, and that I won't understand it along with the content of the next page.

Ad for the planning... I don't think the issue of not knowing which room we'd be in would make me nervous more than annoyed. That is, if was a choice between a few. If we completely didn't know what kind of room we'd be staying in, or even which hotel, I'd go ballistic.
I also hate when (especially on vacation, but sometimes at home) someone will say 'Let's just get out of the house and do something.' Actually, no, let's not. I want to know what we'll be doing! Not wasting our time trying to decide what to do. I can't even really explain WHY exactly that bothers me so much. None of these out of anxiety, so while I think some of it could be OCD, it may more likely be an aspie thing if I do have aspergers.
But the whole spontaneous trip just seems to dumb to me. I've packed for New York, Illinois, and California, not bloody Hawaii!! I've packed a lot of long jeans and denim shorts, and a slew of T-shirts, hardly what I would consider beach-ready. And I would hate to be on the beach for so long. And like I mentioned before I'm not in the proper mindset, nor had the time to be able to get into said mindset.

but I'll definitely be researching more to help calm myself. The trips not official yet anyway.

I accept your wall of text, and raise you another. :D
It's probably come up already, but likely you have autism and OCD, ADD, and SPD are your main three comorbids, with a touch of social anxiety.

Cynthia Kim from Musings of an Aspie discusses that odd sort of sensitivity where somebody else gets in trouble and YOU feel guilty. I do that too. Really annoying, ain't it?

Oo, I hear ya! Zones are nice places to be, you spend so much of your day tensed up and hyperaware of everything so you don't offend people by being too weird, so you go to zone out and relax or go in the zone so you've got all the brain power you need to focus on a project. And then somebody bugs you and shatters it to a million pieces.

It's also common Aspie behaviour to like to have routines, rituals, and a proper heads-up to prepare for something. I have a house rule that nobody just drops in unannounced, I must have a day's notice first. Of course, I also work from home, so I can hit people with a double whammy of being rude, and also being unprofessional and disrespectful of my job. I tend to keep myself busy trying to keep finances up, so I can get particularly aggressive with unwanted visitors.

No worries, not every Aspie is a math whiz. I didn't come into my math skills until college because I hated how imprecise algebra was. But we do have quite a few running around the forum that suck at math, so you're not alone or disqualified.

There are Aspies that have very poor coordination like that. I never got two-handed playing down well on the piano, even though I can type well. Something about pressing down with a finger on both hands at once throws me off.

On the contrary, there have been some well off actors of movies and theatres that were on the spectrum! And some also have beautiful coordination for dance, martial arts, and other physical things like that, even if they're an absolute klutz at home. Some Aspies who get really focused on studying social routines to blend in sometimes gravitate strongly to theatre since there they can really act out and test their social skills without the repercussions of doing it in person or "for real". And of course some just really love it like any Aspie would a special interest.

All quite normal for spectrum folk. I don't make eye contact either, but I've learned to trick people by staring at a nose, above their head, or something that's in the general direction of their eyes so they don't get scared or offended. Aspies also tend to have issues with speed and volume control when they talk, and as you know we tend to prattle on about things we like no matter how much it bores another person.

I'm a tomboy too. Not just for SPD reasons, but also because I find dresses highly impractical. Oddly, that's quite the female Aspie symptom. A lot of Aspies male or female are androgynous, so you fit in there as well. Of course, there are a few high-fashion Aspies about that are aces and extremely um, "gendered" (?) in their outfits, but most of us lean toward casual and neutral.

A good bit of Aspies girls don't get along with other girls. Many of us also have very few friends, if any. In fact, some doctors out there will dismiss you as being on the spectrum if you want friends at all, so there's an idea just how bad our social graces can be. I feel your pain, I was quite the reject at your age. Every time I seemed to make a friend, they'd ignore me and start hanging out with the "cool" kids and never have anything to do with me. It gets easier as you get older, kids grow up and start acting with decency some day. Be patient and keep at it, you'll be able to have a friend some day.

If you feel bad about your collection, I shall send you a screenshot of mine and how many GB (!) of data I have stored for art references or further reading. I am quite the pack rat!

Despite what some "experts" say, Aspies are quite capable of vivid imaginations! In fact, an obsession with fantasy is one of the informal diagnostic criteria for females.

Now I know how you got your username! =)
The Phantom of the Opera is a good book too if you haven't read it yet, you can get it off of Project Gutenberg for free and legally for free. If you don't have an ereader, Firefox has an epub extension so you can read it off your browser too. It's one of my favorite books and it had a really good movie too, so I can't fault you for liking it.

This was actually my first introduction to autism. A good friend of mine had a bunch of work ordered on her apartment building by the landlord and it nearly drove her insane between the chaos, noise, disruption of routine, and changes made. I'm the same way, I get very attached to my surroundings. So you're normal in that respect.

That sums up my childhood and early teens. I read every RL Stine book I could get ahold of, I later discovered Lovecraft, and I had some particularly dark and gruesome writings of my own. My advice is to learn how to filter that interest when you're around other people. People are scared, flighty little critters that frighten easily and you don't want them making weird accusations of you and trying to ruin your life by going around saying you're an axe murderer or something.

QUITE normal, I assure you. As an artist, I can get away with watching animation as "research", and as a mom I can get away with it because "the kid likes it". I say don't blame the Aspie for liking the kiddie stuff, blame Hollywood for making such boring stuff for adults! :p

Aye, that one likely falls mostly with your OCD. At least, I attribute mine to the OCD.

Artists are allowed a wide berth to be eccentric and weird, so you're less likely to be labeled a creepy stalker than if a normal person was collecting pictures of people.

The possessiveness though is a bit odd, that one you'll have to keep an eye on to make sure it doesn't start to hurt you or others at a later time. It may be due to OCD, autism, or both.

Hi,

sorry it took so long for me to reply! I had so many posts to reply to and yours was so long I was putting it off. Not that the length was a bad thing, I'm so glad you took your time to dissect my 'novel' :D

Thanks for the link, I've read some of it already. I though I probably didn't have ADD because the symptoms were so similar to aspergers, but now from what you've said along with the link its probably a comorbid then.

Feeling guilty about others is probably one of the most exhausting things during school, considering I am in a grade where toruble-making boys are abundant, and I constantly feel a personal sadness. And I say boys only because the girls never get in trouble!! Although there was that one girl who went into the boys bathroom LOL. Anyway, I had no idea someone else felt like that! That's very interesting indeed. I will be checking out that post.

Zones are definitely a state of bliss in the midst of the constant worry I'll 'expose' my weirdness. The other day I was waiting for an appointment (out to lunch)in a building that was quite empty and just had the sort of 'feel that I liked. I was listening to music and my dad was on his phone. I asked 'Dad, can I walk down the halls?" and so he was like 'Sure.' I then proceesed to march down the hall to the beat of 'Another Brick in the Wall Part 2.' by Pink Floyd, only realizing some of the other clinics were still open and it wasn't lunch for them and people cloud see me. So, that was quite short lived unfortunately haha.
But nothing makes me more mad in regards to zones than when I'm on the couch, minding my own business, listening to the perfect music trying to create a soundtrack to one of my writing pieces, or just watching videos to influence my projects and then... "Go do your work.' Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr... I JUST GOT BACK FROM SCHOOL WHAT DO YOU MEAN DO YOUR WORK GAAAHHHHHHHHHH!". Whew! That was intense.

The same thing in regards to my routines. 'Let's go to the market' (during the middle of my "Work" as you may call it) actually why don't we not?? "Can we go later?" "No we have to go right now". Uh whyyyyyyyyy. I know I sound like a whiny teen (well, I am) but come one! If I explain to my parents about my 'routines' they'll just think I'm uptight or picky or a control freak (something along those lines)

That's interesting about you not finding your math skills until later. My parents are convinced I'll do the same thing (they think I have the potential to be great at math but just lazy lol) but unfortunately I don't think I'll be having any epiphanies anytime soon. I don't have the freedom I want in math. there are too many rules to memorize and certain strategies you're required to use (although that may be a level thing and will change when I'm older). And ff there was some sort of change that happened in that regard, I wouldn't have noticed cause I wouldn't be paying attention :D I can't help it. I don't even have a proper ADD diagnosis to even have that excuse.

It's good to know that other Aspies have that condition (I mean I feel sorry for them obviously, but It's nice to knwo I'm not alone lol.) Once I started seeing symptoms of Aspergers in myself I had wondered if it contributes to my poor two-handed playing.

Yes, I always found it funny how while I fitted the symptoms of an Aspie, I was different from the stereotype. I frequently drop and spill things, and bump into people out in public, but I am one of the top of dance class LOL.
And I definitely see how being a theater Geek works with being an Aspie. I don't know for sure if I have aspergers or not, but let's say I do. I would definitely be on the eccentric side. Naturally crazy hair, perpetually shocked eyes, loud and deep voice (for a 13 yo girl) so yeah I can definitely see how I can disguise myself as an outlandish thespian Haha! Since we're all geeks in the theater community (for the most part; not mentioning the snobs) I do see how we can use that to have some social interactions without judgment, especially since you're supposed to be playing a role.
Just a random story, at a drama festival I was talking to my friend during the introduction of the first day, and we were looking at all the different schools. We pointed out a guy in his mid to late teens, tan, model looks, and in a a white abercrombie and fitch shirt, who we were kinda cynical/wary of and called 'The Abercrombie Guy' lol.
To quote my friend and I's conversation:
Me: "dude, I'm scared of all these people. Oh no! Look! There's a guy in an abercrombie T-shirt!
Friend: "Oh yeah. I mean who wears abercrombie to a drama festival?"
LOL.
We were in one of the same activities, and he laughed at my comedic performance and actually turned out to be pretty cool, so yeah there's that.I guess I"m just scared of teen boys haha. Just though I'd share the story with you, it's a testimony to just how weird my friend and I are in social situations haha.
And I've come to know that some of the actors I knew were speculated to be aspies. Marilyn Monroe and Robin Williams come to mind in that particular. Apparently Marilyn had a very high IQ and was actually quite shy Off-Camera, and Robin had a very eccentric personality, but also as we know suffered from depression which I hear is not that uncommon in aspies.

Very interesting, a lot of the peopele I've talked to on this forum do you the whole 'focus on other facial feature besides eyes' thing like you and I. I just thought some people just plain looked away. Hmmm. I guess it;s way more common than I thought. I do find it harder to make contact with light colored (blue, green) eyes rather than brown? Do you feel similar? Could it be because you can see the pupil more clearly? Doesn't help since I like someone with very blue (almost grey) eyes :D
:confused: It's an interesting process for sure ;).

Yeah, mines not just for SOD reasons. It's just not me. Not to mention I feel silly. I'm very casual, but almost wither 'Prep' or 'rocker' I wear black tees (usually rock logos) with denim shorts or jeans, but I aso wear headbands to school and secretly yearn to wear argyle and a button up with khakis or something LOL. That's probably why i love my ban duniform so mu(White dress shirt, black pants, black vest) Just an ode to unique style. I love hearing about aspie style though. it's so fascinating. Brings to mind what another user wrote about his former fashion sense when he was in school. Very interesting to hear about.
And I really had no idea being a tomboy was so common for aspie women. Beverly told me about her experience and how it was a bit simialr to mine, but before that I had no idea how often occurring it was.

I get along Ok with most girls, but after a while they really start to think I'm weird. I'll just say something or give a look that kinda warns them of 'My real identity' haha. Boys find that side of me funny, so maybe that's why they like me better. Girls my age are just meant to be so phony that I seem like a freak when really I'm just a 'free bird' lol. Unfortunately while they boys enjoy my company and say how they hate the girls, at the end of the day they still prefer the girls over a quality frien (not trying to toot my own horn, if you were at my school you'd know what I mean by that. They just hang out together because it's 'fun; and not for the reasons you should be friends with someone. It's ok, I'm still waiting on the day that they'll grow up and out of it. Yes, older kdis tend to be much more mature in that aspect. Probably why i usually befriend freshman boys easily haha. They're much more accepting compared to the kiss in my grade. In fact I'm usually friend with MANy older kids regardless of gender. Must be a maturity thing. Having an older brother helps I guess.

I would definitely be interested in your 'collection' haha! I don't even know if you're serious or not, but I would totally be willing to do a swap. I love seeing what inspires people.
And I'm a pakc rat two, both virtually and physically. Moving out is gonna be torute, and transferring computer data take s a looong time. I also hate letting people use my computer cause there are so many weird things in every corner just waiting to be revealed.

That's really interesting! I knew that it was common in aspies, but never knew that a fantasy session would be criteria! (be it formal/official or not) Especially for females in particular.

:) Haha, know you know! I only saw the show in january but became obsessed instantly. I've seen the movie too. I would definitley be interested in reading the book, I've been wanting to do that for some time, so I will be checking that out. And my username is not what it is just because I like the story. It's really the character of the phantom himself. Hey, he has an amazing voice, had is own underground layer, AND he wears a cape. I mean come on! If wearing capes were socially acceptable, you know that I would be rocking one as part of my signature look. Plus he has cool hats and a mask.
But all jokes aside, I do feel an odd sort of ability to relate to him. no, the the facial deformity (although that is up for debate LOL) but the kind of isolation and rejection he suffers, the desire for positive human interaction. Things like that. IN fact, one of the men who have played the role of the phantom in the show based his approach on the assumption that the Phantom has Aspergers. Intersting. huh? He didn't 'diagnose' him or anything, and it's in no way official, but he took some traits of aspergers an applied it to the movments. Like turning away from Christine if she looked at him in the face closely. There is some more, but I can't think of it at the moment. I only read about this way after I saw the show, but it's definittley cleared up some of the reasons I so grealty connected/empathized with the character. Now, I don't know if that explains why I play the songs int eh dark and lipsync to the Phantoms part while pretending to be him. I do believethat might be a different story :p.

of course the choas was overwhelming and incredibly inconvenient, (they only had 1 working elevator at a time) but in the end it all boilded down to how I didn't want it to change after living with that same design for 6 years. They got rid of the water fountain and replaced it with plants. PLANTS. Don't get me wrong, I do like plants, but they already put so many plants! The had to get rid of the fountain? What's even the point of that? Now i"m sad again :( haha. But that's interesting how your friends reaction to the construction introduced you do autism. I guess it does good sometimes haha. It's ok. But there's been talks of re-tiling the WHOLE building, and I won't even start on how I feel about that!

Ahah, yes, I do tend to offput some people when I mention my interest in the works of Lovecraft and others. Someone asked me if I was goth because I mention Edgar Allan Poe. It was a passing joke though. I do have an embarrassing story on that though, if you're interested haha.It involves friends who just won't take a hint lol. I don't know if she is an aspie (there is a possibility) but either way she's got even more filter problems than I do! haha. But yeah, I do try to be careful. People usually accept my more mild horror books, but if they see the worst of it they are sure to be creeped out. Especially the 'popular' girls in my grade. I'd for sure get an axe murdered rumor, or at least some talk behind my back. Oh well, they don't know REAL fun anyway :D. It's not like I'm the only one though.
Interestingly enough, I do show my writing regularly to one of my friends, currently a book I am working on. It's been in development for over a year now, and It started off very childish, and corny, as any 11 year old's amateur work would be. I've lerned recently that she thinks my book is a children's book and is in the Harry Potter age range (Meaning, the target age range, about 8 and up) I didn't comment, but inside I did an evil laugh, because I've been working on a much darker and twisted version (well, it's a plan in my mind.) She's told me she's never met a a friend like me before (as in so messed up haha) and she comes from a pretty conservative Mormon family, and it's been very amusing to see her react to my readings +pictures about Hell and demons and such for the first time. She was for sure very thrown off at the beginning. now it's even funnier to see her act so unsurprised when I mention anything of the sort.
But I'm just scared for what my extended family would think! Strict Catholics I tell you, and I know a few in particular who would be very unforgiving of my black leather volume of Necromicon. Oh well, I'll work my way out of it.

Haha yes! I do so love the guise of 'artist' because it makes so many things acceptable. But I do see how that can relate to my very um, 'young' interests. Even better, though I want to have kids regardless of this fact, what makes it even better is the very excuse to buy kiddie toys and watch childrens shows+ movies is because 'The kid likes it!' I remember once wanting to buy a baby toy but asking my mom to say it's for my "younger sibling" (I'm the youngest) Unfortunatley my mom wouldn't be able to get away with that. Oh well, maybe next time :D.

Yes, that definitely is at least partly because of my OCD. The reaosn Is aid it was possibly Aspergers is because I sawa an article on the whole 'Objects have souls' thing the author had aspergres and said they thought it was also Aspergers, and many Aspie commenters agreed. So I think it might be possibly both. But surely OCD at least.
What I think about the whole thing has changed overtime though. I don't usually think they have souls, but I still feel the same sadness, not because of the object, but because of the person who made it. Like' what goes on through my head when I'm sad because something's been thrown out/neglected is that "Oh, this person put hard work into designing this patter/toy/flyer/object/whatever and now people aren't appreciating it" something like that, but obviously much more extreme. Like I can feel that way about a random junk mail flyer or the ones they hand out of the streets. Anything.
They're different things now, but i sitll believe they're highly related.

And again, the benefits of being an artist. I use this to reassure myself often, because peopel will atl east now it's for artistic purposes. Of course many won't understand (snobby classmates come to mind) but I know the mature ones will.

Don't worry, I'm making sure I'm not going to far. Yeah, I know it's weird and far enough already, but I'm monitoring myself. Right now it's not hurting myslef or anything, I usually i can talk myself out of strong unreasoned emotions when something comes up. I've always been quite good at reassuring myself anyhow.

Well, on that very long note, Thank you so much for the reply! You've definitely helped a lot!
:D:):D:)

sorry it took so long for me to reply! I had so many posts to reply to and yours was so long I was putting it off. Not that the length was a bad thing, I'm so glad you took your time to dissect my 'novel' :D
No worries. I can be pretty chatty too. :p

The same thing in regards to my routines. 'Let's go to the market' (during the middle of my "Work" as you may call it) actually why don't we not?? "Can we go later?" "No we have to go right now". Uh whyyyyyyyyy. I know I sound like a whiny teen (well, I am) but come one! If I explain to my parents about my 'routines' they'll just think I'm uptight or picky or a control freak (something along those lines)
Only thing I can figure is she might be trying to beat lunch hour or rush hour traffic. Especially on weekends, traffic is terrible the further the sun goes down. We lived in a pretty safe place, so I often got to stay at home while my mom went out grocery shopping.

That's interesting about you not finding your math skills until later. My parents are convinced I'll do the same thing (they think I have the potential to be great at math but just lazy lol) but unfortunately I don't think I'll be having any epiphanies anytime soon. I don't have the freedom I want in math. there are too many rules to memorize and certain strategies you're required to use (although that may be a level thing and will change when I'm older). And ff there was some sort of change that happened in that regard, I wouldn't have noticed cause I wouldn't be paying attention :D I can't help it. I don't even have a proper ADD diagnosis to even have that excuse
The thing that got me was how lazy and imprecise my math was. I couldn't accept "2x+1" as an answer because that is the last step before you get an answer. I also felt a calculator was lazy and for cheaters, so I bombed in trigonometry because I wasn't given the formulas to do trig out by hand. All math is and will ever be is adding and subtracting anyway. Multiplication and division is fancy adding and subtracting, and exponents and roots are fancy multiplying and dividing. Or so how it works out in my twisted little head. :yum:

Yes, I always found it funny how while I fitted the symptoms of an Aspie, I was different from the stereotype. I frequently drop and spill things, and bump into people out in public, but I am one of the top of dance class LOL.
And I definitely see how being a theater Geek works with being an Aspie. I don't know for sure if I have aspergers or not, but let's say I do. I would definitely be on the eccentric side. Naturally crazy hair, perpetually shocked eyes, loud and deep voice (for a 13 yo girl) so yeah I can definitely see how I can disguise myself as an outlandish thespian Haha! Since we're all geeks in the theater community (for the most part; not mentioning the snobs) I do see how we can use that to have some social interactions without judgment, especially since you're supposed to be playing a role.
Just a random story, at a drama festival I was talking to my friend during the introduction of the first day, and we were looking at all the different schools. We pointed out a guy in his mid to late teens, tan, model looks, and in a a white abercrombie and fitch shirt, who we were kinda cynical/wary of and called 'The Abercrombie Guy' lol.
To quote my friend and I's conversation:
Me: "dude, I'm scared of all these people. Oh no! Look! There's a guy in an abercrombie T-shirt!
Friend: "Oh yeah. I mean who wears abercrombie to a drama festival?"
LOL.
We were in one of the same activities, and he laughed at my comedic performance and actually turned out to be pretty cool, so yeah there's that.I guess I"m just scared of teen boys haha. Just though I'd share the story with you, it's a testimony to just how weird my friend and I are in social situations haha.
And I've come to know that some of the actors I knew were speculated to be aspies. Marilyn Monroe and Robin Williams come to mind in that particular. Apparently Marilyn had a very high IQ and was actually quite shy Off-Camera, and Robin had a very eccentric personality, but also as we know suffered from depression which I hear is not that uncommon in aspies.
Heheh, no worries! I think artsy folk are inclined to react odd in social situations. In my case, where a normal girl would drool over a muscular dude, my first instinct is to use his body as a learning instrument to draw anatomy better.

Very interesting, a lot of the peopele I've talked to on this forum do you the whole 'focus on other facial feature besides eyes' thing like you and I. I just thought some people just plain looked away. Hmmm. I guess it;s way more common than I thought. I do find it harder to make contact with light colored (blue, green) eyes rather than brown? Do you feel similar? Could it be because you can see the pupil more clearly? Doesn't help since I like someone with very blue (almost grey) eyes :D
:confused: It's an interesting process for sure ;).
Nah, eye color doesn't bother me. Although, there are theories on why darker-eyed people are usually trusted more than lighter-eyed folk. Since wide pupils are a sign of a relaxed, happy, young (babies), or aroused person, and narrow pupils are often a sign of anger and scary predators like cats and snakes, the same principals apply with eye color. Dark eyes give off a vibe of larger pupils and therefor good/trustworthy eyes, while lightly colored eyes make the pupils seem smaller than usual and thus bad/killer eyes. My dad and I both have blue eyes and thick jaws, so we scare people with a natural serial killer / predator glare whether we mean to or not. :sweatsmile:

I get along Ok with most girls, but after a while they really start to think I'm weird. I'll just say something or give a look that kinda warns them of 'My real identity' haha. Boys find that side of me funny, so maybe that's why they like me better. Girls my age are just meant to be so phony that I seem like a freak when really I'm just a 'free bird' lol. Unfortunately while they boys enjoy my company and say how they hate the girls, at the end of the day they still prefer the girls over a quality frien (not trying to toot my own horn, if you were at my school you'd know what I mean by that. They just hang out together because it's 'fun; and not for the reasons you should be friends with someone. It's ok, I'm still waiting on the day that they'll grow up and out of it. Yes, older kdis tend to be much more mature in that aspect. Probably why i usually befriend freshman boys easily haha. They're much more accepting compared to the kiss in my grade. In fact I'm usually friend with MANy older kids regardless of gender. Must be a maturity thing. Having an older brother helps I guess.
Disproportionately aged friends is common. A lot of Aspies tend to get along better with people older or younger, but not so much the ones in the middle. I have a cousin (light suspicions) that has always preferred toddlers and little kids. When I was your age, I was all about old people and the elderly.

I would definitely be interested in your 'collection' haha! I don't even know if you're serious or not, but I would totally be willing to do a swap. I love seeing what inspires people
And I'm a pakc rat two, both virtually and physically. Moving out is gonna be torute, and transferring computer data take s a looong time. I also hate letting people use my computer cause there are so many weird things in every corner just waiting to be revealed
It'd probably be easier for me to send you a link to multiple websites. I've gotten stuff from patterns to templates to history to religion to astrology to critters and random science stuff. I recently downloaded about seven or eight websites pertaining to one interest.

:) Haha, know you know! I only saw the show in january but became obsessed instantly. I've seen the movie too. I would definitley be interested in reading the book, I've been wanting to do that for some time, so I will be checking that out. And my username is not what it is just because I like the story. It's really the character of the phantom himself. Hey, he has an amazing voice, had is own underground layer, AND he wears a cape. I mean come on! If wearing capes were socially acceptable, you know that I would be rocking one as part of my signature look. Plus he has cool hats and a mask.
But all jokes aside, I do feel an odd sort of ability to relate to him. no, the the facial deformity (although that is up for debate LOL) but the kind of isolation and rejection he suffers, the desire for positive human interaction. Things like that. IN fact, one of the men who have played the role of the phantom in the show based his approach on the assumption that the Phantom has Aspergers. Intersting. huh? He didn't 'diagnose' him or anything, and it's in no way official, but he took some traits of aspergers an applied it to the movments. Like turning away from Christine if she looked at him in the face closely. There is some more, but I can't think of it at the moment. I only read about this way after I saw the show, but it's definittley cleared up some of the reasons I so grealty connected/empathized with the character. Now, I don't know if that explains why I play the songs int eh dark and lipsync to the Phantoms part while pretending to be him. I do believethat might be a different story :p.
That is an interesting idea about the Phantom. You'll love parts of his lair when you get to read it, I don't think the movie showed one of his toys. At least, the movie I watched. There tends to be lots of movies about the classics.

Ahah, yes, I do tend to offput some people when I mention my interest in the works of Lovecraft and others. Someone asked me if I was goth because I mention Edgar Allan Poe. It was a passing joke though. I do have an embarrassing story on that though, if you're interested haha.It involves friends who just won't take a hint lol. I don't know if she is an aspie (there is a possibility) but either way she's got even more filter problems than I do! haha. But yeah, I do try to be careful. People usually accept my more mild horror books, but if they see the worst of it they are sure to be creeped out. Especially the 'popular' girls in my grade. I'd for sure get an axe murdered rumor, or at least some talk behind my back. Oh well, they don't know REAL fun anyway :D. It's not like I'm the only one though.
Interestingly enough, I do show my writing regularly to one of my friends, currently a book I am working on. It's been in development for over a year now, and It started off very childish, and corny, as any 11 year old's amateur work would be. I've lerned recently that she thinks my book is a children's book and is in the Harry Potter age range (Meaning, the target age range, about 8 and up) I didn't comment, but inside I did an evil laugh, because I've been working on a much darker and twisted version (well, it's a plan in my mind.) She's told me she's never met a a friend like me before (as in so messed up haha) and she comes from a pretty conservative Mormon family, and it's been very amusing to see her react to my readings +pictures about Hell and demons and such for the first time. She was for sure very thrown off at the beginning. now it's even funnier to see her act so unsurprised when I mention anything of the sort.
But I'm just scared for what my extended family would think! Strict Catholics I tell you, and I know a few in particular who would be very unforgiving of my black leather volume of Necromicon. Oh well, I'll work my way out of it.
My stuff around 10-11 was heavily influenced by newspaper comics, so you can imagine how terribly corny it was. But oh so much fun! When a piece of paper is the only thing that'll tolerate your zany side, ya just gotta go for it sometimes.

Harry Potter didn't seem very childish to me, at least not the later books, but that's what I grew up reading so I'm probably biased. A lot of kids my age enjoyed that Harry grew up at the same rate they did and the maturity level of the books seemed to match them as they aged.

Yes, that definitely is at least partly because of my OCD. The reaosn Is aid it was possibly Aspergers is because I sawa an article on the whole 'Objects have souls' thing the author had aspergres and said they thought it was also Aspergers, and many Aspie commenters agreed. So I think it might be possibly both. But surely OCD at least.
What I think about the whole thing has changed overtime though. I don't usually think they have souls, but I still feel the same sadness, not because of the object, but because of the person who made it. Like' what goes on through my head when I'm sad because something's been thrown out/neglected is that "Oh, this person put hard work into designing this patter/toy/flyer/object/whatever and now people aren't appreciating it" something like that, but obviously much more extreme. Like I can feel that way about a random junk mail flyer or the ones they hand out of the streets. Anything.
They're different things now, but i sitll believe they're highly related.
I definitely understand the frustration of a perfectly good item being tossed out. I attribute mine mostly to social status, I've spent most of my life having to make everything count. Junk mail flyers can be hats, boats, paper maché fodder...

Well, on that very long note, Thank you so much for the reply! You've definitely helped a lot!
:D:):D:)
Any time. I like to collect data and distribute it too. =)

I despise repeating myself as well. After about 2 times of either saying a certain word/phrase, or explaining what I mean, I just give up.
I do yell fairly often, soemtimes intentionally, sometimes not. It still scares the crap out of the people around me. I recall during a dance class, we were filming a routine to send to our principal, something she requires each lesson. By that time, he had gone through the dance a hundred times and we were just done with it, not to mention it was the end of class. During the filming, it was going quite well, but one of my classmates had gone on the wrong foot and it threw her off for a second. She continued to dance with her hand raised calling 'Ms. Leah. Ms. Leah! I messed up, can we restart (she's fifteen years old for goodness sakes)' repeatedly, subsequently ruining the tape. My classmates were frustrated, but I was downright ready to burst.
"ChlooooOOOOEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" I let out my giant gorilla scream reserved for only the occasion where I A. wouldn't get in trouble for it and B. Was at the point of considering seriously maiming someone, making my whole class' jaws drop and gasp.They've never forgotten about that.

So yeah, there's that.

I completely relate on the whole 'missing lines' thing. I often either don't understand the material and re-read it, or completely skip the line/word/phrase. I re-read whole pages sometimes because I'm afraid I missed something, and that I won't understand it along with the content of the next page.

Ad for the planning... I don't think the issue of not knowing which room we'd be in would make me nervous more than annoyed. That is, if was a choice between a few. If we completely didn't know what kind of room we'd be staying in, or even which hotel, I'd go ballistic.
I also hate when (especially on vacation, but sometimes at home) someone will say 'Let's just get out of the house and do something.' Actually, no, let's not. I want to know what we'll be doing! Not wasting our time trying to decide what to do. I can't even really explain WHY exactly that bothers me so much. None of these out of anxiety, so while I think some of it could be OCD, it may more likely be an aspie thing if I do have aspergers.
But the whole spontaneous trip just seems to dumb to me. I've packed for New York, Illinois, and California, not bloody Hawaii!! I've packed a lot of long jeans and denim shorts, and a slew of T-shirts, hardly what I would consider beach-ready. And I would hate to be on the beach for so long. And like I mentioned before I'm not in the proper mindset, nor had the time to be able to get into said mindset.

but I'll definitely be researching more to help calm myself. The trips not official yet anyway.

i'll try to keep this short (yeah right lol)...... anyway, as far as the dance routine. i fully understand.. when you mentioned she put up her hand i instantly thought "just put your hand down and keep going........ you're doing the video to show the teacher your skills, they will catch the mistake but if you do the rest of it well it's not a big deal"... maybe you could explain that to chole so next time she'll just keep doing the routine instead of (what i would feel anyway) interrupting the entire process for everybody else in the class. now, if she tripped and broke her nose and was bleeding everywhere... clearly that's a different situation. but some stumbling.. that's why you're a student and not a professional.

as far as the whole "lets go out" thing, i hated it too. a big consistency with aspie "problems" is logic and focus, generally there's far too much of it but it's concentrated on very few topics (whether that be a person only interested in ballet but having no interest in all other forms of dance... or loving all forms of dance but only being able to focus on 1 at a time until they feel they're at a professional level so they can move onto the next form)
so, going out is something you do when you know where you're going and why..... it's not something you do to figure out why you did it. it goes back to the whole learning by trial/error type of thing. if you don't know what you want to do outside.. you're just going to sit there doing nothing wondering why you're outside and getting annoyed by the time and focus you're wasting. whereas if you sit around inside until you figure out what to do outside... then, when you go outside, you'll know what you want to do and be able to do it. so when most people hear "hey lets go to the beach" their response is "oh that will be fun" and they figure out what to do when they're there. sofar what i've noticed from others (and certainly myself) is that if i do the same thing.. when i get there, i'm bored and it's a wasted day that just leaves me annoyed and stressed out. which is clearly just a waste of vacation and in turn ruins everybody elses vacation because they don't get why you can't just "go along for the ride" so to speak (all those weird sayings can also be a problem due to literal thinking)

sadly, i wish i had a good solution to it.. but i really dont. planning is such a big part of all actions that if i do a major thing that is unplanned, it just ruins my entire day (which is the problem i'm having with working right now)

not to bum you out, but you may honestly not be able to plan and prepare enough to be comfortable with the whole vacation. but what if you focused on just a few aspects? like.... obviously you'll be at the beach. figure out a couple things you know you want to do at the beach, tell your family the things you want to do, and make sure they do them (or let you do them anyway). even if it's something like "i want to build a sand castle".. make sure you get to do that. because if you really like making a sand castle anytime you're at the beach, and you don't get to do it this time.. your vacation will be ruined. or, that's how it works for me anyway...... when i went with my ex girlfriend (and only girlfriend ever) to Michigan she told me about this big barn restaurant with great food and drinks. so that's the only thing i wanted to do when i was there.... i spent probably 2 months or so there.. not once did we go to that restaurant. it not only bothered me every day (and i brought it up often so it's not like she forgot about the place) but that was 10 years ago and it still bugs me that i didn't go. i'm not sure if it's a common aspie trait to dwell on things such as that however

i'll try to keep this short (yeah right lol)...... anyway, as far as the dance routine. i fully understand.. when you mentioned she put up her hand i instantly thought "just put your hand down and keep going........ you're doing the video to show the teacher your skills, they will catch the mistake but if you do the rest of it well it's not a big deal"... maybe you could explain that to chole so next time she'll just keep doing the routine instead of (what i would feel anyway) interrupting the entire process for everybody else in the class. now, if she tripped and broke her nose and was bleeding everywhere... clearly that's a different situation. but some stumbling.. that's why you're a student and not a professional.

as far as the whole "lets go out" thing, i hated it too. a big consistency with aspie "problems" is logic and focus, generally there's far too much of it but it's concentrated on very few topics (whether that be a person only interested in ballet but having no interest in all other forms of dance... or loving all forms of dance but only being able to focus on 1 at a time until they feel they're at a professional level so they can move onto the next form)
so, going out is something you do when you know where you're going and why..... it's not something you do to figure out why you did it. it goes back to the whole learning by trial/error type of thing. if you don't know what you want to do outside.. you're just going to sit there doing nothing wondering why you're outside and getting annoyed by the time and focus you're wasting. whereas if you sit around inside until you figure out what to do outside... then, when you go outside, you'll know what you want to do and be able to do it. so when most people hear "hey lets go to the beach" their response is "oh that will be fun" and they figure out what to do when they're there. sofar what i've noticed from others (and certainly myself) is that if i do the same thing.. when i get there, i'm bored and it's a wasted day that just leaves me annoyed and stressed out. which is clearly just a waste of vacation and in turn ruins everybody elses vacation because they don't get why you can't just "go along for the ride" so to speak (all those weird sayings can also be a problem due to literal thinking)

sadly, i wish i had a good solution to it.. but i really dont. planning is such a big part of all actions that if i do a major thing that is unplanned, it just ruins my entire day (which is the problem i'm having with working right now)

not to bum you out, but you may honestly not be able to plan and prepare enough to be comfortable with the whole vacation. but what if you focused on just a few aspects? like.... obviously you'll be at the beach. figure out a couple things you know you want to do at the beach, tell your family the things you want to do, and make sure they do them (or let you do them anyway). even if it's something like "i want to build a sand castle".. make sure you get to do that. because if you really like making a sand castle anytime you're at the beach, and you don't get to do it this time.. your vacation will be ruined. or, that's how it works for me anyway...... when i went with my ex girlfriend (and only girlfriend ever) to Michigan she told me about this big barn restaurant with great food and drinks. so that's the only thing i wanted to do when i was there.... i spent probably 2 months or so there.. not once did we go to that restaurant. it not only bothered me every day (and i brought it up often so it's not like she forgot about the place) but that was 10 years ago and it still bugs me that i didn't go. i'm not sure if it's a common aspie trait to dwell on things such as that however

Hmm, yeah that is a good way to explain to her. Thankfully term is over now, but if this happend again I will try and be calm next time. However I do think my scream is enough to teach her a lesson (at least for now) lol.

Yeah, I do see how the whole 'logic' thing causes distress in aspies. There's really no logic involved in 'just going out and doing something', it's all for 'spontaneity' and has no purpose which I would enjoy lol. I guess that's my logic at least.

Don't worry, I know if unlikely I can really get what I want in the end. Although, my parents haven't even booked the tickets yet and we're leaving for chicago in 2 days so... that's a tad last minute for such a popular summer holiday destination. Whenever they've planned last minute it's always backfired. I hate to want this trip to be derailed for my owon selfish puproses but.. what can you do. In the end it's not really my fault haha. But yeah, if we're oging they better make it REAL good. I don't want some sort of half-@$$ trip. That would piss me off more than the actualy trip lol. So I'm gonna make sure we can do everything we want.

Thanks for the advice.

No worries. I can be pretty chatty too. :p

Only thing I can figure is she might be trying to beat lunch hour or rush hour traffic. Especially on weekends, traffic is terrible the further the sun goes down. We lived in a pretty safe place, so I often got to stay at home while my mom went out grocery shopping.

Yeah, I do see that. We have a shuttle bus spefically from our building to the market that goes every 15 minutes, so I see how it could come from that. Or she just thinks i"m lazy and wants me to stop procrastinating . :p Although I'm assuming it's the former (for the most part :eek:)

The thing that got me was how lazy and imprecise my math was. I couldn't accept "2x+1" as an answer because that is the last step before you get an answer. I also felt a calculator was lazy and for cheaters, so I bombed in trigonometry because I wasn't given the formulas to do trig out by hand. All math is and will ever be is adding and subtracting anyway. Multiplication and division is fancy adding and subtracting, and exponents and roots are fancy multiplying and dividing. Or so how it works out in my twisted little head. :yum:

Ahh, this is where we are different. Despite the guilt, I am forever grateful for calculators and find them a very useful tool haha! I guess I am lazy in some aspects, but people who call me out for using a calculator (when in the certain scenario is not cheating and allowed) really don't understand how much I actually need it. I know it's easy to say, but it's true. I have extreme issues in math with focusing and having to solve it on my own.
Kinda like the trig thing with you, I flunk math alot because we're not given certain formulas that go with the way we choose to go about and solve the problem. And i agree about the 'fancy' was of adding and subracting hehe. But that just might be me trying to simplify everything :oops::rolleyes:

Heheh, no worries! I think artsy folk are inclined to react odd in social situations. In my case, where a normal girl would drool over a muscular dude, my first instinct is to use his body as a learning instrument to draw anatomy better.

That's a bit similar to me. There is a boy in the grade above me the girls in my grade go nuts for, freaking out if he walks by them. He's actually a very cute looking boy, who I admittedly find attractive, but really my instincts are telling me "dang, he looks a lot like my mental image of the protagonist in my book" lol. Actually I used him as a basis for some sketches I was doing of the character haha. In fact, pretty much all my reactions to any good-looking boy are related to either my writing or drawing. A rather interesting reflex I must say lol. I would definitely consider this a kind of juvenile equivalent of what you described. I have no doubt be reacting the same way you do to that situation when I'm an adult lol (but maybe more int he 'which character does look look/act most like? kinda sense). The only time I'm really fixated on looks is in the artistic sense. It's definitely an interaction with someone that triggers any romantic attraction, no matter how tiny. Weird and off topic, but just thought I'd mention it. I'm wondering if anyone here is the same way.
[/QUOTE]

Nah, eye color doesn't bother me. Although, there are theories on why darker-eyed people are usually trusted more than lighter-eyed folk. Since wide pupils are a sign of a relaxed, happy, young (babies), or aroused person, and narrow pupils are often a sign of anger and scary predators like cats and snakes, the same principals apply with eye color. Dark eyes give off a vibe of larger pupils and therefor good/trustworthy eyes, while lightly colored eyes make the pupils seem smaller than usual and thus bad/killer eyes. My dad and I both have blue eyes and thick jaws, so we scare people with a natural serial killer / predator glare whether we mean to or not. :sweatsmile:

Haha, I was guessing that was more a trait of mine than anyone else. But I had suspected it was the pupil thing. Probably because the expression is so clear to see, the emotions are as well. It's probably easier to tell what someone thinks about you when you can see all that in detail. I think I can trust someone regardless of eye color (I mean if I trust a blue-eyed person before hand the eyes color won't put me off), but yeah I guess brown eyes may come off as warmer, while light blue eyes can appear very cold or piercing. Usually doesn't make me like anyone less though haha. But I guess that's a good sign for me then, I have dark brown eyes I've always hated because of how common they were, I always wanted blue eyes. I guess I have reason to be happy now lol. Though I do apologize for you and your dad, but don't worry, if they know you're good people they'll trust you regardless :)

Disproportionately aged friends is common. A lot of Aspies tend to get along better with people older or younger, but not so much the ones in the middle. I have a cousin (light suspicions) that has always preferred toddlers and little kids. When I was your age, I was all about old people and the elderly.

I've always talked with adults better, much more intelligent conversation. But I also enjoy the company of older kids (even a year older) and got along with them. But younger too, I am friendly with lot's of younger kids (if they're not brats :O ). I actually have an older cousin who I have some very strong suspicions about being an aspie. He never even went to proper school, so that definitley doesn't help. But anyway, we talked frequently when we were together during summer and got along very well and actually are very similar(more reason to suspect; but I'm not trying to jump to conclusions, everyone thinks so), and he's a few years older than me. I have a brother and a cousin who is his age but he couldn't really connect with them too well. Then again, he's doens't really care for his three younger sisters, so maybe it's just us having a lot in common... idk. But I definitley can see how this would be an aspie trait.

It'd probably be easier for me to send you a link to multiple websites. I've gotten stuff from patterns to templates to history to religion to astrology to critters and random science stuff. I recently downloaded about seven or eight websites pertaining to one interest.

I link would be just fine. A lot more organized, as well :)

That is an interesting idea about the Phantom. You'll love parts of his lair when you get to read it, I don't think the movie showed one of his toys. At least, the movie I watched. There tends to be lots of movies about the classics.

I've hear the description of his lair is fantastic, so I'm definitely lookinf forward to reading that bit. There are a few adaptions of the book, so I'll be looking out for one where it shows his lair in more detail. The only movie version I've seen is the musical one, but I want to watch the 1925 (I think that's when it was though) verison with Lon Chaney, as well as the other ones. There are a lot if I recall correctly.

My stuff around 10-11 was heavily influenced by newspaper comics, so you can imagine how terribly corny it was. But oh so much fun! When a piece of paper is the only thing that'll tolerate your zany side, ya just gotta go for it sometimes.

Haha, yeah I had been reading some mild horror at that age, but really I was all about humor at that time I was beginning the first drafts, so I see how that influenced it. Later on I started reading +watching darker content, so that for sure influenced the later drafts and ideas.

Harry Potter didn't seem very childish to me, at least not the later books, but that's what I grew up reading so I'm probably biased. A lot of kids my age enjoyed that Harry grew up at the same rate they did and the maturity level of the books seemed to match them as they aged.

Ah, I think I didn't really explain to well the first time. I do not think Harry Potter is childish at all, I I read the books when I was younger and still enjoy the story greatly. What I meant was that my friend thought the target audience is what people would assume the first book in the series (the mildest in terms of violence and scariness IMO. The last few are definitely not childish.) was for. You know, the age kids usually start to pick it up. I really don't know how to explain it that well, sorry. But basically she thought it would have violence, but nothing too gruesome, non-controversial ( I mean besides the witchcraft thing.. If you get what I'm saying) and clean humor (oops. haha)
I'm definitley making HP sound a lot more childish than it is in that description, buy if you kinda understand what I'm saying. To boil it all down she thinks it's a book aimed at kids and preteens. I do believe the mature kid/preteen can read it, but it's not a children's novel (IN my opinion, at least.) The content is up for debate for what would be considered appropriate for children or not. I think it's because my first drafts were so corny and filled with dumb humor that she wasn't been able to see the slow transition into darker things. Then again she does have a quite strict moral standing so maybe that has something to do with it. The tends to interpret good + bad, + healthy +unhealthy, right + wrong, appropriate +inappropriate and all that stuff a bit differently from others, It's fine though. But I do recall her reading a book in a series that had some sexual implications (not graphic at all) and I asked her what she felt about it. She said that she was kinda disappointed int e author for putting it in children book, and that caught me off guard. The book was about an assassin and had description of blood+gore and killing and stuff, so I was confused as to why she thought it was a childrens book. Oh well, this is off topic. I just thought I'd explain lol.

I definitely understand the frustration of a perfectly good item being tossed out. I attribute mine mostly to social status, I've spent most of my life having to make everything count. Junk mail flyers can be hats, boats, paper maché fodder...

Yeah, I try and find uses for junk items as well haha. Bad habit of mine, I must say :confused:. but hey, isn't it recycling in the end? ;)

Any time. I like to collect data and distribute it too. =)

:) Thanks!

Ahh, this is where we are different. Despite the guilt, I am forever grateful for calculators and find them a very useful tool haha! I guess I am lazy in some aspects, but people who call me out for using a calculator (when in the certain scenario is not cheating and allowed) really don't understand how much I actually need it. I know it's easy to say, but it's true. I have extreme issues in math with focusing and having to solve it on my own.
Kinda like the trig thing with you, I flunk math alot because we're not given certain formulas that go with the way we choose to go about and solve the problem. And i agree about the 'fancy' was of adding and subracting hehe. But that just might be me trying to simplify everything :oops::rolleyes:
I relaxed a LOT after I got out of highschool. I used the heck out of my calculator in college! It was a cool one too, I could make all sorts of complicated fractions with it. It was fun to play with outside of math class.

That's a bit similar to me. There is a boy in the grade above me the girls in my grade go nuts for, freaking out if he walks by them. He's actually a very cute looking boy, who I admittedly find attractive, but really my instincts are telling me "dang, he looks a lot like my mental image of the protagonist in my book" lol. Actually I used him as a basis for some sketches I was doing of the character haha. In fact, pretty much all my reactions to any good-looking boy are related to either my writing or drawing. A rather interesting reflex I must say lol. I would definitely consider this a kind of juvenile equivalent of what you described. I have no doubt be reacting the same way you do to that situation when I'm an adult lol (but maybe more int he 'which character does look look/act most like? kinda sense). The only time I'm really fixated on looks is in the artistic sense. It's definitely an interaction with someone that triggers any romantic attraction, no matter how tiny. Weird and off topic, but just thought I'd mention it. I'm wondering if anyone here is the same way.
Heehee, I don't know if that's an Aspie symptom, but it's definitely a creative symptom! Only the creative types would go up to a hot guy and say "excuse me, but I think you'd be vital to my project and I need you to stand still for a few moments" instead of "can we go out next Friday". :yum:
If you get too involved studying copyright law, it'll become more of "I can take his nose and her eyes and their ears and that chin and I'll have this awesome character nobody can sue me over because the original base was changed by more than 10%!" when you get older.

Haha, I was guessing that was more a trait of mine than anyone else. But I had suspected it was the pupil thing. Probably because the expression is so clear to see, the emotions are as well. It's probably easier to tell what someone thinks about you when you can see all that in detail. I think I can trust someone regardless of eye color (I mean if I trust a blue-eyed person before hand the eyes color won't put me off), but yeah I guess brown eyes may come off as warmer, while light blue eyes can appear very cold or piercing. Usually doesn't make me like anyone less though haha. But I guess that's a good sign for me then, I have dark brown eyes I've always hated because of how common they were, I always wanted blue eyes. I guess I have reason to be happy now lol. Though I do apologize for you and your dad, but don't worry, if they know you're good people they'll trust you regardless :)
No worries, people who get to know us do fine. It's those poor passersby in public that shy away and recoil. Sometimes I walk slow with my mom behind my dad just to watch everybody's expressions. He's most of the time, Mom's had to give her own glare a few times when a few flirty-eyed women glance his way. Never underestimate the glare ability of the brown-eyed people, they can hold their own quite well. ;)

I link would be just fine. A lot more organized, as well :)
I'll see if I can get a page put together. A few of my interests and research links I've gathered together here with some more random things on my links page. Slowly but surely getting every interest on there. It's my site and I'm paying for it, so why not? It's organized and flagged for those that don't wanna stray in some places.

Ah, I think I didn't really explain to well the first time. I do not think Harry Potter is childish at all, I I read the books when I was younger and still enjoy the story greatly. What I meant was that my friend thought the target audience is what people would assume the first book in the series (the mildest in terms of violence and scariness IMO. The last few are definitely not childish.) was for. You know, the age kids usually start to pick it up. I really don't know how to explain it that well, sorry. But basically she thought it would have violence, but nothing too gruesome, non-controversial ( I mean besides the witchcraft thing.. If you get what I'm saying) and clean humor (oops. haha)
I'm definitley making HP sound a lot more childish than it is in that description, buy if you kinda understand what I'm saying. To boil it all down she thinks it's a book aimed at kids and preteens. I do believe the mature kid/preteen can read it, but it's not a children's novel (IN my opinion, at least.) The content is up for debate for what would be considered appropriate for children or not. I think it's because my first drafts were so corny and filled with dumb humor that she wasn't been able to see the slow transition into darker things. Then again she does have a quite strict moral standing so maybe that has something to do with it. The tends to interpret good + bad, + healthy +unhealthy, right + wrong, appropriate +inappropriate and all that stuff a bit differently from others, It's fine though. But I do recall her reading a book in a series that had some sexual implications (not graphic at all) and I asked her what she felt about it. She said that she was kinda disappointed int e author for putting it in children book, and that caught me off guard. The book was about an assassin and had description of blood+gore and killing and stuff, so I was confused as to why she thought it was a childrens book. Oh well, this is off topic. I just thought I'd explain lol.
No worries, I got it. I didn't clarify mine to well either, I was disagreeing with your friend that Harry Potter was childish. Granted, at the moment I have a toddler watching things like Handy Manny, so things for older kids like Disney's Great Mouse Detective and the "let me be good to you" song seem more for teens or older to me right now.

Yeah, I try and find uses for junk items as well haha. Bad habit of mine, I must say :confused:. but hey, isn't it recycling in the end? ;)
Exactly, and they always say to reuse and recycle! :D

I relaxed a LOT after I got out of highschool. I used the heck out of my calculator in college! It was a cool one too, I could make all sorts of complicated fractions with it. It was fun to play with outside of math class.

We usually only have calculators with the 4 main operations and stuff. Sometimes there are more complicated ones but I have no idea how to use them. I really wish I knew how, because I'm horrendous at fractions.

Heehee, I don't know if that's an Aspie symptom, but it's definitely a creative symptom! Only the creative types would go up to a hot guy and say "excuse me, but I think you'd be vital to my project and I need you to stand still for a few moments" instead of "can we go out next Friday". :yum:
If you get too involved studying copyright law, it'll become more of "I can take his nose and her eyes and their ears and that chin and I'll have this awesome character nobody can sue me over because the original base was changed by more than 10%!" when you get older.

Haha I think if I had the guts I would be going up to all the hot guys in my school and giving them questionnaires or something of the sort to find out their personality and somehow use that to translate it into a book character, or like you said to stand still for a portrait LOL. Then again I've always had different reaction then my friends when it came to 'attractive males.' They've always thought I was abnormal for not salivating over certain celebrities anyhow.
And that 10% rule is definitely useful. Seeing how often I take inspiration for characters from the people around me, that would be useful even if it wasn't for copyright purposes! I don't want people knowing that I do that to random people, I would be mortified:eek: Then again, they might take it as a compliment :D Who knows. I might even be taking requests eventually lol.

No worries, people who get to know us do fine. It's those poor passersby in public that shy away and recoil. Sometimes I walk slow with my mom behind my dad just to watch everybody's expressions. He's most of the time, Mom's had to give her own glare a few times when a few flirty-eyed women glance his way. Never underestimate the glare ability of the brown-eyed people, they can hold their own quite well. ;)

Haha, I think some strangers react in a a similar way to me. I don't mean the glare, but if any one of my classmates are really not doing their best to be on my good side that day, I give them a glare that makes my eyes seem HUGE. Blue eyes would be the icing on the cake for that tool, bu I think brown works just fine. I think it gives the appearance of black bottomless pits of despair, which I think gives a nice touch.
But in regards to the strangers, I think they assume I'm a normal kid when they see me (besides the hair, which depending on the weather can make me resemble a madman). But it's when I open my mouth they realize that my voice is probably not the most fitting for someone of my age and gender lol.

I'll see if I can get a page put together. A few of my interests and research links I've gathered together here with some more random things on my links page. Slowly but surely getting every interest on there. It's my site and I'm paying for it, so why not? It's organized and flagged for those that don't wanna stray in some places.

Thanks for the link! I think it's useful that you're using your site for that, cause like you said, why not? I just have a folder on my computer filled with random jpegs, but there are a lot mroe things that I've seen on deviantart that I like that are not in the folder.

No worries, I got it. I didn't clarify mine to well either, I was disagreeing with your friend that Harry Potter was childish. Granted, at the moment I have a toddler watching things like Handy Manny, so things for older kids like Disney's Great Mouse Detective and the "let me be good to you" song seem more for teens or older to me right now.

I see. My friend doesn't think Harry Potter is childish either, she loves the books. I think she was just struggling to find a book series to explain what she thought the age group was. But yeah, comparing HP to Handy Manny, there is definitely a large gap there haha.

Exactly, and they always say to reuse and recycle! :D

I mean, I'm just trying to help out help out environment! ;)

Last edited:
We usually only have calculators with the 4 main operations and stuff. Sometimes there are more complicated ones but I have no idea how to use them. I really wish I knew how, because I'm horrendous at fractions.
At the time, it was a $13 scientific calculator from Walmart. On top of the usual stuff, it did fractions, radians, pi, trig, permutations, log, and then some weird thing I've forgotten the name of but it had a big sigma and a few data entry spots for calculating compound interest or something like that. And I've probably forgotten half the other stuff it could do. It was cool!

And that 10% rule is definitely useful. Seeing how often I take inspiration for characters from the people around me, that would be useful even if it wasn't for copyright purposes! I don't want people knowing that I do that to random people, I would be mortified:eek: Then again, they might take it as a compliment :D Who knows. I might even be taking requests eventually lol.
Requests are a lot of fun. They'll also build up your artistic skills better. Even if you try to be versatile and do everything on your own, you're still bound to get a request to do something you hadn't considered before.

Haha, I think some strangers react in a a similar way to me. I don't mean the glare, but if any one of my classmates are really not doing their best to be on my good side that day, I give them a glare that makes my eyes seem HUGE. Blue eyes would be the icing on the cake for that tool, bu I think brown works just fine. I think it gives the appearance of black bottomless pits of despair, which I think gives a nice touch.
But in regards to the strangers, I think they assume I'm a normal kid when they see me (besides the hair, which depending on the weather can make me resemble a madman). But it's when I open my mouth they realize that my voice is probably not the most fitting for someone of my age and gender lol.
Aspies are supposed to have odd hair! :p
I have a strand that flips out by each ear so I look like I have devil/bull horns. Very annoying.

just to mention the hair thing (especially since my photo has a helmet on lol)...... when my hair is long (i love it long but i sweat too much in the summer to deal with it.. i can feel my hair far too much to deal with sweat) it has this windswoop thing going where the left side (my left) will curve right looking like it's going under my chin and behind my head.. the right side also curves right so it looks like there's a wind blowing all the time lol. i also had a "rat tail" as a kid (a thin piece of hair that was kept long while the rest was cut short...) that i had so long at 1 point i could tilt my head back and step on it

and in the 90s i had a "mushroom" haircut for a while, which was fun... i loved bopping my head around because it felt really cool. 'course now it's a "designer" haircut that nobody under the age of 50 can figure out so i haven't had a haircut i really liked since those mushroom cuts in my early teens

At the time, it was a $13 scientific calculator from Walmart. On top of the usual stuff, it did fractions, radians, pi, trig, permutations, log, and then some weird thing I've forgotten the name of but it had a big sigma and a few data entry spots for calculating compound interest or something like that. And I've probably forgotten half the other stuff it could do. It was cool!

In school we have either a TI 82 or something very similar (it's blue with yellow and red buttons, and it's a Texas Instrument one, I just don't know which one)
It does have a lot of cool operations, problem is there are no labels so I can't for the life of me tell what they are!

Requests are a lot of fun. They'll also build up your artistic skills better. Even if you try to be versatile and do everything on your own, you're still bound to get a request to do something you hadn't considered before.

Yeah, when I first started on the drafts for my first book I kept on aksing my friends if they wanted a character based off of them (being 6th graders who thought the book was gonna get famous, they said yes of course haha) Now it's getting hard because of the type of world it's set in , but I"m still tying to include them in my other books with settings that are easier to put those kind of people in.

Aspies are supposed to have odd hair! :p
I have a strand that flips out by each ear so I look like I have devil/bull horns. Very annoying.

That DOES sound annoying. I hate to assume and generalize, but I always kinda thought that it wasn't so uncommon for aspies to have odd hair! Well, of course not everybody, but you get what I'm saying. if you count Einstein, who's hair is not too different from mine! OK, that's an exaggeration, but on a bad day it's uncanny. Sadly, naturally my hair is actually doll-like ringlets, but humidity and just general lack of proper styling products causes my actual hair to be covered in a giant layer of frizz with a lot of random strands sticking out though. It's alright though, I'm able to tame it on occasion, plus, it gives "personality" as they say it!

just to mention the hair thing (especially since my photo has a helmet on lol)...... when my hair is long (i love it long but i sweat too much in the summer to deal with it.. i can feel my hair far too much to deal with sweat) it has this windswoop thing going where the left side (my left) will curve right looking like it's going under my chin and behind my head.. the right side also curves right so it looks like there's a wind blowing all the time lol. i also had a "rat tail" as a kid (a thin piece of hair that was kept long while the rest was cut short...) that i had so long at 1 point i could tilt my head back and step on it

and in the 90s i had a "mushroom" haircut for a while, which was fun... i loved bopping my head around because it felt really cool. 'course now it's a "designer" haircut that nobody under the age of 50 can figure out so i haven't had a haircut i really liked since those mushroom cuts in my early teens

The mushroom cut sounds fun to shake your head with for sure haha. Actually, there is this kid in my grade who has a rat tail (he is Chinese and it's an ancient kinda hair cut for them so him mo m forces him to wear it lmao) but he hates it. In 1st grade he used to ask people to braid it, and people used to talk about his hair all the time. He annoys a lot of people (know it all) so people use his hair as a platform to get back at him. I know it sounds awful, but it's hilarious. One a teacher threatened to hang him from the ceiling by his rat tail LOL.

I used to have very long hair too (to my lower back) when I was younger, but I got monster knots and it got greasy and just stuck to my head and looked really stupid, so I cut it to my chin and never looked back. I like my longer hair too a bit, but I love my shorter hair way more. The only thing I miss is being able to do more hairstyles with my hair, but it was a lost cause from the start. Curly hair isn't the best for hairstyles. It's so frustrating seeing these things online like "cute hairstyles for school!' and stuff seeing how i couldn't do them due to my hair texture. It's not even hairstyles, there are so many haircuts in can't have. I used to want bangs but it would look like crap. I know because I tested it out by putting my hair into the style of bangs and putting a head band over it. My mom actually thought it was super cute and said I should get it cut like that, to which I replied that she was insane. I would never want to go out in public like that lol. I can't dye the ends like all the girls in my grade do because A. it would look awful on curly hair and B. my hair is black and I would have to bleach it, which I would never do. But yeah, I get jealous of all the girls who can do 8 million different hair styles when I'm jst stuck with: Headband and without headband lol. I do remember the girls went through a bow phase last year where everyone bought bows with those barrette clips (so from the get go, curly hair or not I wasn't about to try that out lol)and clipped them above their ponytails (other problem, I can;t do a decent ponytail, unless I'm looking for a puffball). They also tried to make wearing your dad's ties with your uniform shirt (mind you: it's a polo) a "thing". Needless to say the boys just watched confused from the sidelines lol.

Yeah, when I first started on the drafts for my first book I kept on aksing my friends if they wanted a character based off of them (being 6th graders who thought the book was gonna get famous, they said yes of course haha) Now it's getting hard because of the type of world it's set in , but I"m still tying to include them in my other books with settings that are easier to put those kind of people in.
That does sound like a fun test of creative writing. :)

That DOES sound annoying. I hate to assume and generalize, but I always kinda thought that it wasn't so uncommon for aspies to have odd hair! Well, of course not everybody, but you get what I'm saying. if you count Einstein, who's hair is not too different from mine! OK, that's an exaggeration, but on a bad day it's uncanny. Sadly, naturally my hair is actually doll-like ringlets, but humidity and just general lack of proper styling products causes my actual hair to be covered in a giant layer of frizz with a lot of random strands sticking out though. It's alright though, I'm able to tame it on occasion, plus, it gives "personality" as they say it!
I keep reading that here and there, so I guess it's true. On the Aspie Quiz, one of the questions is if you have strange whorls in your hair. It even counts toward your Aspie score.

I keep reading that here and there, so I guess it's true. On the Aspie Quiz, one of the questions is if you have strange whorls in your hair. It even counts toward your Aspie score.

Wow, that's interesting! I knew odd hair would count for something since Aspies are sometimes different from the norm in physical ways (as in clothes and such), since they are not meant to regard social rules. However I do wonder how the hair counts towards an aspie score. Because my hair is inherited :D so I do wonder why it affects the score. Well, my hair is still different form my other curly-haired relatives, I guess. Maybe that's it :cool:

I took the quiz. Is the quiz credible enough to raise the question of having Aspergers? Like if I could show this to my family, counselor, etc? Because it seems so, to me at least. In case you were curious (or just because I want to share lol) here are my results:

Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 166 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 32 of 200
You are very likely neurodiverse (Aspie)

Definitely higher than I thought it would be.

Wow, that's interesting! I knew odd hair would count for something since Aspies are sometimes different from the norm in physical ways (as in clothes and such), since they are not meant to regard social rules. However I do wonder how the hair counts towards an aspie score. Because my hair is inherited :D so I do wonder why it affects the score. Well, my hair is still different form my other curly-haired relatives, I guess. Maybe that's it :cool:

I took the quiz. Is the quiz credible enough to raise the question of having Aspergers? Like if I could show this to my family, counselor, etc? Because it seems so, to me at least. In case you were curious (or just because I want to share lol) here are my results:

Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 166 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 32 of 200
You are very likely neurodiverse (Aspie)

Definitely higher than I thought it would be.
I do believe the Aspie Quiz was put together by an Aspie, along with the RAADS-R. The RAADS-R is actually meant to be taken in a clinical setting during a diagnosis with a parent or other person who has known you a long time. There's also the Autism Quotient test, but if you're kind of reserved and anti-social you will score as autistic. My dad did and he is definitely not on the spectrum, he's just anti-social, and he scored very normal on the Aspie Quiz and RAADS-R.

I'd love to see a study done that observed biological changes instead of just our wires and nerves. When an animal is tamed down, they lose adrenaline overall in their genetics, and that leads to changes in the skull, tail, coat, and obviously demeanor. And there are a few other conditions out there among people that changes their appearance. I wonder what biological changes are more common with us?

on the topic of hairstyles....... just do what you like. think outside the box... you said you had dark hair, what if you frosted the tips or something like that?
i dont know much for curly hair.. it is pretty limiting. you could straighten it but it takes a long time and will never stay like that for too long (without making your hair look like crap anyway)

myself, i've always preferred natural over anything else. i generally don't like when girls have makeup, lipstick, eyeliner, hair colorings/foils/ect. doesn't matter what that natural look is... i almost always prefer it over anything else. and if anything, i'll only suggest minor touches to have a true natural look (not the store "natural" look) which is usually only if the person has a very pale complexion so they often look sick or atleast very tired and rundown.

Again, on the hair. I too have natural ringlets and, frizz if I am not careful but, I have solved my hair problems. Actually a stylist did it for me years ago but, I think anyone with naturally curly hair that tends to frizz can benefit form what I know.

Styling products to be used after you shampoo are not the problem, the shampoo is the problem. Any shampoo that lathers contains sulfides, those strip too much of the natural oils from your hair, leaving it rough and frizzy. Use those only once every fourth or fifth time you wash your hair. Use your conditioner, or a product called a Co-Wash (conditioning wash). Wenn and Pantene Co-Wash are two brands I know. Pantene is much less expensive and, you can buy it in many stores.

It really is that simple to have soft, shiny, frizz free, curly hair that you can brush out and let air dry and, it comes out gorgeous. Give it a try, you will see the first time, it makes all the difference.

I do believe the Aspie Quiz was put together by an Aspie, along with the RAADS-R. The RAADS-R is actually meant to be taken in a clinical setting during a diagnosis with a parent or other person who has known you a long time. There's also the Autism Quotient test, but if you're kind of reserved and anti-social you will score as autistic. My dad did and he is definitely not on the spectrum, he's just anti-social, and he scored very normal on the Aspie Quiz and RAADS-R.

I'd love to see a study done that observed biological changes instead of just our wires and nerves. When an animal is tamed down, they lose adrenaline overall in their genetics, and that leads to changes in the skull, tail, coat, and obviously demeanor. And there are a few other conditions out there among people that changes their appearance. I wonder what biological changes are more common with us?

Yeah, it would be interesting to see how those conditions might affect our appearance. If I recall correctly, Aspies generally have low levels of certain hormones ( I can't remember which) that obviously affect certain actions, but maybe possibly physical appearance? I'm not sure, but that would definitely be an interesting study.

As for the test, I do think that would be good for now (to possibly seek out a diagnosis, but nothing too big). I tried taking the RAADS-R test online but there were 3 problems. A one of the options was "True only when I was younger than 16", but I AM younger than sixteen. The other was that I in the previous step I didn't fill out some contact information, so it restarted EVERYTHING and didn't save nay of my answers.The third was that there were 80 questions, and almost all of them tedious to answer, so I didn't do it again :D Of course If I was required to take it, I would, but I don't at the moment. I like the Aspie Quiz better, the questions are all very interesting and taught me about some interesting things that can be considered symptoms that I never thought about, things that I have. The RAADS-R test had really similar questions (to me) that seemed repeated. Oh well, maybe when I'm not feeling so lazy. However I did take a Psych Central quiz which questions are from the RAADS test, and I scored a 34, and on that quiz 31& up is 'Autism/Aspergers Likely". I just used that to get a general idea.

New Threads

Top Bottom