• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Hello you all!

Due to my social awkwardness, I failed to make any friends at my university :sweatsmile:, and thus I wanted to join this forum to be able to talk to some people.

I've experienced the exact same in college. People started hating me, shying away from me...I've tried way too hard to make friends but ended up becoming a pariah instead. Felt so bad and I started actually hating myself (it used to be just low self-esteem). I wanted to be cool and popular but ended up becoming loud, obnoxious, rude, insensitive and even borderline sexual harassment a couple of times...and I wasn't even aware! No, all that time I thought I was doing things right and it was THEM overreacting. I mean I'm sure some people actually overreacted, but I can tell why most people started shying away from me and leaving me out.

I'm still very socially awkward and I did almost regress back into my college behavior a few times, including one point when I was at work. I can tell things better now and I can totally tell that I annoy my coworkers. I don't like annoying people, I don't like making people unhappy. I lost so many potential friends in college; right now I only keep in touch with one person, and he actually thought I was cool...like for real! I love talking to the people in this forum and I'm making friends here, ones I can relate to. I did manage to make a few NT ones but I'm still awkward around them and might say something unacceptable from time to time - yet for some reason they didn't run off.

You've come to the right place, Valentin - you don't have to know someone in real life to be friends. We're all about listening and reaching out. So many wonderful folk on here, it's just unreal. Yet at the same time, it's totally real. Welcome to the best forum on the planet!

New Threads

Top Bottom