• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Hello - new member from Canada

islandwoman

I am a 65 year old female living in rural Prince Edward Island, Canada. self diagnosed autistic. I'd like to get a "real" diagnosis if it would lead to some assistance or support; but as far as I know there is nothing for adults where I live.

I am quite isolated and have no relationships or supports in my life. This is something I would really like to change if I'm to go on. I've read that autistic people live in their heads and that's something I identify with greatly.

Although I have been anxious and depressed my entire life, I feel like my anxiety is increasing and I need to find a way to calm down and calm my thoughts.

Hoping to learn from some other autistics who are older or Canadian or isolated or rural or not :)

Much appreciation for everything I've read so far and greatly appreciate those who have poured out their lives and struggles on the screen. Thank you.

Welcome! You seem like a friendly sort. I like that. I’m 33 and Dutch, so I’m probably not really in the demography you’re looking for. However, there’s plenty of members your age around here. I’m sure you’ll find more than enough willing to share their thoughts with you.

upload_2019-6-13_16-7-7.png

Welcome to AF. I think you'll find many of us who share your sentiments.

I've lived in near-isolation by choice since 2007.

Last edited:
I am a 65 year old female living in rural Prince Edward Island, Canada. self diagnosed autistic. I'd like to get a "real" diagnosis if it would lead to some assistance or support; but as far as I know there is nothing for adults where I live.

I am quite isolated and have no relationships or supports in my life. This is something I would really like to change if I'm to go on. I've read that autistic people live in their heads and that's something I identify with greatly.

Although I have been anxious and depressed my entire life, I feel like my anxiety is increasing and I need to find a way to calm down and calm my thoughts.

Hoping to learn from some other autistics who are older or Canadian or isolated or rural or not :)

Much appreciation for everything I've read so far and greatly appreciate those who have poured out their lives and struggles on the screen. Thank you.
i'm also isolated not geographically but in every other way ❗️I get help from a charity only because my mother was in that profession,if you had a similar option in Canada they might pay for a diagnosis .The charities rules in the UK help you even if you're not penniless ,i'm in my late 40s wasn't diagnosed until my mid 40s and I was surprised as a doctor inferred I was a hypochondriac just a few years before .

Welcome! You seem like a friendly sort. I like that. I’m 33 and Dutch, so I’m probably not really in the demography you’re looking for. However, there’s plenty of members your age around here. I’m sure you’ll find more than enough willing to share their thoughts with you.
Thanks for the welcome! I should have made my post a little clearer as I meant the "or not" to include everyone :)

i'm also isolated not geographically but in every other way ❗️I get help from a charity only because my mother was in that profession,if you had a similar option in Canada they might pay for a diagnosis .The charities rules in the UK help you even if you're not penniless ,i'm in my late 40s wasn't diagnosed until my mid 40s and I was surprised as a doctor inferred I was a hypochondriac just a few years before .
Thanks for the suggestion.

Hi Islandwoman, Welcome to the club. There are lots of friendly, compassionate people here. I hope you can appreciate the "isolation" you are experiencing, but I understand the need to connect. PEI is a special place.

Hi Islandwoman and welcome. 61 here and live in North Carolina. Diagnosed a couple years ago. You''' mostly find a lot of support and smiles here on this forum.

Welcome Islandwoman! You may take comfort knowing that you are not alone anymore! I find it the most wonderful miracle in one's life; finding others that think in the same ways, can understand, and can actually relate to you. So glad you are here!❤

For being in a rural/isolated area, I feel you pain. I too lived in a rural area up in north Idaho and the natives were anything but friendly towards me or anyone that didn't fit the status quo for that matter. Just be glad that you finally got an internet connection and found people like us to chat with. I never had the internet when I was living up in Idaho.

As far as living in our heads go. Ya! We all do that. It's called an imagination and I like to use my without a license form Disney.

Welcome Islandwoman!
I'm 62 and wasn't diagnosed until I was 58.
I lost my Mother whom I had always lived with and moved in with a man from a tennis club I knew
that wanted some help around the house. I get rent I can afford, but, he is not a kind person.
I don't think I could stand to live alone though at this age since I never have.
You are right. We live in our heads and living alone with just me and my thoughts I don't think
I would like. I want some human contact to talk with if nothing else.

Here a diagnosis does help with getting financial and medical help.
If I lose my living arrangements here with this guy, I probably would seek help for living in
a seniour assisted group someplace.

Hope you enjoy the group here as much as I have. :sunflower:

Welcome! I hope you find support, kind words and a little less isolation here on this forum. It's a very good place for autistic people to take a breath and share thoughts with other people on the same wavelength.

Welcome islandwoman, to the forum. I know the island quite well having spent a great deal of time there over the years. You would likely have to go to Halifax or St. John's for any sort of accurate diagnosis I imagine. I'm from away, but the female side of my husband's family originally settled there way, way back. So their roots are on the island still.

I hope you like the forum, it's a good place to be.

New Threads

Top Bottom