• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Hello. My name is Ilona.

Ilona Anne Hress

Hello. I have a friend who has a nonverbal learning disability and is on the spectrum. I have joined because I would like to support her to expand her community with others who can understand her challenges and experiences. What do you suggest to help her calm her anxieties? What has worked for you? Thank you in advance.
Sincerely,
Ilona Anne Hress

upload_2017-8-11_15-1-51.png

Hi Ilona! (Love your name, I have family called the same :)
Weighted blankets and sensory friendly spaces are good for calming anxiety, as well as many other things. We're a friendly group here, pretty easy to talk to, talking helps (though typing is even better ;) So she can tell us whats on her mind if she wishes. She's lucky to have a friend like you, I'm sure that has helped her tremendously :)

Hey Ilona, and welcome to AC! Like Keigan said, so many awesome people on here - I love it! I'm sorry your friend is struggling; I have anxieties too - general and OCD. Lots of them. And it's not the only thing I struggle with (meltdowns, emotional outbursts, social and communication issues, just to name a few...). I started seeing a psychologist a few months ago and anxieties was one of the main topics we talked about. He suggested a way to help me manage them, mainly the OCD types; if you'd like to read up on it, here's an early post I made: Managing Anxieties - the FLOAT Method

Hope everything goes well, and she really is very lucky to have you as a friend. I'd do the exact same to any friend of mine because I care about people too (although I sometimes come off as opposite because I'm bad at expressing sympathy).

Soft clothes, weighted blankets, music you like and for me nature and animals help my anxiety. Fidgets doesn't help that much, but a nice polished stone I can hold in my hand is helpful. But, then my obsession is rocks.
Glad to see you here. A good place and good people.

Hello. I have a friend who has a nonverbal learning disability and is on the spectrum. I have joined because I would like to support her to expand her community with others who can understand her challenges and experiences. What do you suggest to help her calm her anxieties? What has worked for you? Thank you in advance.
Sincerely,
Ilona Anne Hress

I really like rocking my cats to calm down or otherwise feel better. I got an office chair that rocks and added a rocking footstool to go with it. That way I can keyboard while rocking.

Hi Ilona! (Love your name, I have family called the same :)
Weighted blankets and sensory friendly spaces are good for calming anxiety, as well as many other things. We're a friendly group here, pretty easy to talk to, talking helps (though typing is even better ;) So she can tell us whats on her mind if she wishes. She's lucky to have a friend like you, I'm sure that has helped her tremendously :)
Thank you for the information. We're working on not being afraid. I like the weighted blanket idea but not sure she'll use it. Where did you get one? Hope you are having a good day.

Hey Ilona, and welcome to AC! Like Keigan said, so many awesome people on here - I love it! I'm sorry your friend is struggling; I have anxieties too - general and OCD. Lots of them. And it's not the only thing I struggle with (meltdowns, emotional outbursts, social and communication issues, just to name a few...). I started seeing a psychologist a few months ago and anxieties was one of the main topics we talked about. He suggested a way to help me manage them, mainly the OCD types; if you'd like to read up on it, here's an early post I made: Managing Anxieties - the FLOAT Method

Hope everything goes well, and she really is very lucky to have you as a friend. I'd do the exact same to any friend of mine because I care about people too (although I sometimes come off as opposite because I'm bad at expressing sympathy).
Thank you so much for sharing the FLOAT Method. My friend and I looked at it together and tried to think of a time where she could use it. I think it's a good system and I'm glad that it is working for you. May you grow your confidence every day.

Soft clothes, weighted blankets, music you like and for me nature and animals help my anxiety. Fidgets doesn't help that much, but a nice polished stone I can hold in my hand is helpful. But, then my obsession is rocks.
Glad to see you here. A good place and good people.
I love rocks too! I am a crystal healer and help people to find the best rocks to help them. My friend has a grid of stones by her bed to help her relax and calm her mind to sleep peacefully. She doesn't put stones in her pockets but I regularly suggest that people do to relieve stress or build strength. You may want to try a green or purple fluorite to focus and build confidence. Have a good day.

Sincerely,
Ilona Anne Hress
Welcome

New Threads

Top Bottom