• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Hello from Aeolienne

Aeolienne

Hi, I'm Aeolienne. I'm 41 and single. I'm from London originally but have spent the majority of my working life away from the capital. The longest stint was in Exeter where I ended up buying a flat, but having been dismissed from a scientific civil service job there in 2009 I've been out of work for most of the time since.

To elaborate, I was on the dole for a year after leaving the civil service, then was offered a job with a private-sector environmental consultancy in Skipton, North Yorkshire. Not my preferred choice of location by a long chalk - I'd much rather have moved to Bristol - but it was the only job offer I received so I let out my Exeter flat and moved up north. Unfortunately I was fired from the Skipton job during probation, and when I went to sign on I discovered that my owning a property I wasn't living in disqualified me from claiming means-tested benefits. So I decided to cut my losses and move in with my parents in London. That was supposed to be a temporary measure but it ended up lasting for nearly five years. During this time I clocked up a four-month internship with a smart metering firm in Cambridge, two months with an oil company, six months with an investment bank and one week with an home insulation provider. The second and third placements were arranged via a so-called supported employment scheme with scant regard for my actual career aspirations.

Eventually, feeling that I was running out of options I agreed to take part in a BBC documentary about autistic jobseekers, which led to me being offered a job (albeit temporary) with an energy services provider in Warwick in February 2016. I now live in nearby Leamington Spa.

Outside of work, I'm into hillwalking, environmental conservation, visiting art galleries, recorder playing and music (especially Baroque and medieval) and I'm passionate about environmentally sustainable technologies (especially renewable energy).

Hi there,

Thanks for sharing, it sucks how you've been treated.

Welcome to the forums :)

Oh dear, I know the feeling. I managed to avoid being sacked myself, except from a couple of temping jobs when I was trying to gain office experience, but it was a close-run thing at times!
The worst experience was in Germany; I didn't realise the place I was working in was toxic and, when I was called into the Personnel Manager's office and told off for being lazy, I did something about it (it was due to struggling with relentless pressure; long story) and expected that to be the end of it. To cut a long story short, I was effectively constructively dismissed, which ended with me being shouted at and vilified. I do know, however, I was not the only one, it was their way of running a business, keeping staff simply not being on their agenda.
I never had to go through that again, but I did struggle within the workplace, and couldn't understand why; I'm glad I'm out of it now.
Have you thought about working from home? True, I don't know exactly why you keep being fired, but if it's due to difficulties with workmates or pressure, you won't have that problem as you'll be on your own, and can work at your own pace without a lot of interruptions (I know one of my problems was constant interruptions, which everybody except me could take in their stride).

His Aeolienne Welcome to Central I liked reading your post & it reminded me that I only ever managed to hold down full time working twice in my life, the rest was part time & I lost my last job from "attitude" although my physical health now prevents me doing the blue collar manual stuff anymore, anyways. I hope things work out for you.

Have you thought about working from home? True, I don't know exactly why you keep being fired, but if it's due to difficulties with workmates or pressure, you won't have that problem as you'll be on your own, and can work at your own pace without a lot of interruptions (I know one of my problems was constant interruptions, which everybody except me could take in their stride).
I have the option of working from home in my current job but I haven't used it yet. In part this is because my flat isn't conducive to working during the height of summer (it's on an east-west axis) but also because I haven't as yet had the luxury of a piece of work I can just plug away at without any need to ask someone for assistance.

Oh, and if you want to view my documentary appearance (it was subsequently reduced to a 10-minute film on BBC3), click here.

Last edited:
Welcome to AC! I hope you enjoy reading amd sharing here. :)
Please make yourself at home!

New Threads

Top Bottom