• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Hello All!

Welcome, Will! I also look forward to you participating. :) Care to tell us a little about yourself?

Welcome, Will! I also look forward to you participating. :) Care to tell us a little about yourself?
Actually I'm a dad of an aspie daughter who is turning 16 years old. I wanted to get on this site to learn a little more about what she's dealing with and to hopefully recommend this site to her.

Actually I'm a dad of an aspie daughter who is turning 16 years old. I wanted to get on this site to learn a little more about what she's dealing with and to hopefully recommend this site to her.
Oh, cool! I'm glad you're taking such an interest. Many of us weren't nearly so lucky with our own parents.

Oh, cool! I'm glad you're taking such an interest. Many of us weren't nearly so lucky with our own parents.
Nice of you to recognize my interest in helping her. Do you feel this would be an appropriate site for her? She has a bunch of great friends who are all typical. The social scene is becoming more complex as boys are being introduced into the peer group. I think it would be good for my daughter to have a forum to chat with people who share similar challenges. Any thoughts?

If she is interested, yes! But I'm not sure a teenage girl would like to hang out in a space that her parents frequent... It sounds like she's doing well in life, which is also wonderful to hear. :)

Yes I would. It helps me to come here so that I remember how our perception is so different than most, and for reassurance that I am not alone.

If she is interested, yes! But I'm not sure a teenage girl would like to hang out in a space that her parents frequent... It sounds like she's doing well in life, which is also wonderful to hear. :)
My plan would be to back out once she is in.

I like How you are supporting your Daughter, I think it would be helpful in knowing she is not alone. she would find a number of a similar age as well.

Hello,

I am also glad that you are supporting your daughter. I am also new but this site seems very supportive and friendly. There are also a lot of great resources. Although she may have a good social circle and skills, many of us just "act" which can be exhausting and tough after a while. I learned to act at an early age and somehow became popular in highschool. I still do not know how that happened. It was quite difficult to keep up and form friendships that were more meaningful and deeper to me. Eventually I no longer saw a point and became a partial shut in.

When was she diagnosed? I am asking as early diagnosis can lead to early support and care which seems to have greater benefits. One of my cousins had more severe Aspergers (could not be in a room with more than 4 people, communication issues, rocking, the works) and greatly benefited from it when he was young and is doing much better now.

Hi William MB and welcome,
As an Aspie, and the parent of an Aspie, I would have no issue recommending this site. The totally inclusive environment and support, offered by it members are something to behold. Their experiences are invaluable for someone starting on this path. The moderators do an outstanding job, of keeping this site clean and family friendly.
Cheers
Turk

Hello and welcome. As a parent you have an amazing gift (your daughter) and this site will give you an insight into how she sees the world. :)

New Threads

Top Bottom