• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Hello all

Dmh80

hello all, I wanted to come to this forum and officially register. My name is Dee, I have been going through various online forums and reading posts and replies for a few weeks now.

My daughter is about 19 months old, she has yet to speak other than babbling and animal sounds, she is not walking on her own yet. We just had an evaluation where it was determined she was “globally delayed” in her development. She is very shy and uncomfortable around new people which may have effected the evaluation a little bit but she is definitely showing concerning behavior.

My wife and I are hoping for the best but I am not gonna be in denial if there is something going on with her as I want to supply her with any help she will need.

I would like to describe her behavior to see if anyone could maybe help me with what I should work with her on and maybe get anyone’s opinions on what may be going on with her. Thanks in advance for anyone who might respond.

As I said my daughter is 19 months old, she has an incredible memory and love for music. Tell her what something is one time and she will be able to point it out to you. She loves books and flash cards and can pick out any card (we have hundreds) when they are laid out in front of her. These are things that at first I thought was advanced behavior but am now wondering if it is more on the unusual side of things.

Eating - She will not eat anything aside from purée baby food or baby powdered oatmeal. When she actually watches one of us eat she will make a gagging face. She gags when touching certain objects like play doh or noodles or even fruit. If we try to giver her a sippy cup or cup she will throw it on the floor, if we try to give her any normal food she will do the same.

Play time - she is way more interested in puzzles, books, flash cards than she is her regular toys. She will throw her rings around the room for 30 minutes at a time sometimes. Lately she has wanted to go in her crib to play with her stuffed animals or other animal toys. When we take her out she will throw a little tantrum, usually we can distract her so it’s short lived.

Pain - unless she really falls bad she doesn’t seem to feel pain. I can think of 3 times she’s cried from bumping into something. We are of course on top of her and protective over her to not get hurt but accidents do happen and the few times I’ve seen her bump into things I have expected her to look at us and start crying. She doesn’t.

Sleep - she sleeps every night from around 7pm till anywhere from 5:30 - 6:30 the next morning. Always the same night sleep hours. She in the past would take one short nap or no naps at all but for the last 2-3 months she takes a one hour nap mid day. She has been a good night sleeper for the most part but has never been a good napper.

Communication - she does answer to her name and usually waves back at people, more to say goodbye then hello for some reason. We are only just now in September putting her into short classes with other toddlers. It’s hard to determine how she is with other kids at this point since we don’t know anyone with kids her age so we haven’t had the opportunity to socialize her at all yet. She was very colic so we were not able to put her into any class programs as we didn’t think it would be right to drop off a crying baby to a school.

Wanted to see if anyone else had gone through similar things with their children. As is the sentiment with everyone who has concerns over their child we love her and want to help her no matter what the determination is and no matter how hard we are going to have to work to get keep her happy.

Thanks again to anyone who took the time to read this.

upload_2019-8-25_10-12-26.png

hello all, I wanted to come to this forum and officially register. My name is Dee, I have been going through various online forums and reading posts and replies for a few weeks now.

My daughter is about 19 months old, she has yet to speak other than babbling and animal sounds, she is not walking on her own yet. We just had an evaluation where it was determined she was “globally delayed” in her development. She is very shy and uncomfortable around new people which may have effected the evaluation a little bit but she is definitely showing concerning behavior.

My wife and I are hoping for the best but I am not gonna be in denial if there is something going on with her as I want to supply her with any help she will need.

I would like to describe her behavior to see if anyone could maybe help me with what I should work with her on and maybe get anyone’s opinions on what may be going on with her. Thanks in advance for anyone who might respond.

As I said my daughter is 19 months old, she has an incredible memory and love for music. Tell her what something is one time and she will be able to point it out to you. She loves books and flash cards and can pick out any card (we have hundreds) when they are laid out in front of her. These are things that at first I thought was advanced behavior but am now wondering if it is more on the unusual side of things.

Eating - She will not eat anything aside from purée baby food or baby powdered oatmeal. When she actually watches one of us eat she will make a gagging face. She gags when touching certain objects like play doh or noodles or even fruit. If we try to giver her a sippy cup or cup she will throw it on the floor, if we try to give her any normal food she will do the same.

Play time - she is way more interested in puzzles, books, flash cards than she is her regular toys. She will throw her rings around the room for 30 minutes at a time sometimes. Lately she has wanted to go in her crib to play with her stuffed animals or other animal toys. When we take her out she will throw a little tantrum, usually we can distract her so it’s short lived.

Pain - unless she really falls bad she doesn’t seem to feel pain. I can think of 3 times she’s cried from bumping into something. We are of course on top of her and protective over her to not get hurt but accidents do happen and the few times I’ve seen her bump into things I have expected her to look at us and start crying. She doesn’t.

Sleep - she sleeps every night from around 7pm till anywhere from 5:30 - 6:30 the next morning. Always the same night sleep hours. She in the past would take one short nap or no naps at all but for the last 2-3 months she takes a one hour nap mid day. She has been a good night sleeper for the most part but has never been a good napper.

Communication - she does answer to her name and usually waves back at people, more to say goodbye then hello for some reason. We are only just now in September putting her into short classes with other toddlers. It’s hard to determine how she is with other kids at this point since we don’t know anyone with kids her age so we haven’t had the opportunity to socialize her at all yet. She was very colic so we were not able to put her into any class programs as we didn’t think it would be right to drop off a crying baby to a school.

Wanted to see if anyone else had gone through similar things with their children. As is the sentiment with everyone who has concerns over their child we love her and want to help her no matter what the determination is and no matter how hard we are going to have to work to get keep her happy.

you need to talk to @Crossbreed He has two children I think with (but definitely two)autism and is autistic.

9CA26199-7A8A-484A-8A1C-F5F09B635AAF.jpeg

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom