• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Headphone repairing help

GoofKing

All your bases are belong to us
I'm going to need to repair these headphones soon because the cheap plastic has already been broken through where the wires are showing and will soon probably break.

Would taping these work or maybe taking a lighter and melting the plastic back together ? There's already a gap in the cord where the wires are exposed and not sure if using tape would help fix the problem or maybe I should try melting and infuse the cord back together ...

I call these cheap things, Poverty headphones. This means that these things were made with the cheapest of materials for those living poorly ...

I'm not quite sure I get precisely what the problem is. Could you post pictures, maybe?

I'm not quite sure I get precisely what the problem is. Could you post pictures, maybe?

Well it's more it's more like this except it's not an Ipod cable:

farm4.static.flickr.com_3545_3348240231_1f99be67b1.jpg

And I guess you could say that it's a break in the heaphone cables

Oh. Yeah, there's not much you can do. Tape it and it might last a couple more weeks.

This is one of the reasons I started plopping money down on headphones that are actually built to last. An investment that has continuously paid off. :)

These headphones weren't intelligently designed XD The cord has less of a length because the asshole designers added the main cord on the left side and because it's a single cord going through one headphone means the cord goes across your chest and neck lol

I hope these things last more then a couple of weeks ...

I'm going to need to repair these headphones soon because the cheap plastic has already been broken through where the wires are showing and will soon probably break.

Would taping these work or maybe taking a lighter and melting the plastic back together ? There's already a gap in the cord where the wires are exposed and not sure if using tape would help fix the problem or maybe I should try melting and infuse the cord back together ...

I call these cheap things, Poverty headphones. This means that these things were made with the cheapest of materials for those living poorly ...

Hi GoofKing,

If you can still hear sound through them, wrap the damaged area in electrical tape and that may reduce the wear & tear so they won't fail so soon ... I don't know how severe yours are, but mine have been wrapped for a couple of weeks where I saw little kitty tooth-marks, but the sound was still fine. If the sound is already intermittent or failing, they're pretty much a lost cause.

Geek warning ahead: when I got my first iPod in 2004, everyone wanted white headphones even if they didn't have an iPod ... I guess they thought it looked trendy. Over the next few years the trend has reversed completely, so that almost no one uses the included white Apple earbuds, claiming the sound quality isn't very good. I'm not an audiophile, they're good enough for me, and better than anything else I can afford. Apple would charge almost $30 for them, but I could usually find them cheaper on twitter or eBay from people who had a stack piled up that they wouldn't use. About a year ago Apple switched to these ridiculous 'EarPods' that won't stay in my ears, so I went to twitter/eBay and bought a few pairs of the previous earbuds for around $10 each, and they tend to last me about a year (if the kittens don't get ahold of them). Make sure they're actually made by Apple, though ... there are loads for $2 or less, but they're cheaply made knockoffs that sometimes don't work at all, so check the item reviews. Be very careful with the details, though, if a feature isn't explicitly mentioned (like mic or volume control) then it probably doesn't have it.

Now that I think about it, do you need the mic or volume control? If not, I have a few pairs that I can't use ... I need the mic because I can't stand to hold the phone to my ear. For the cost of shipping I'd be happy to send them to you (no insurance, regular mail, shouldn't be more than a few dollars). If you're interested, send me a private message and we'll chat.

Hope this helps,
Kassie

PS: I would definitely *not* recommend the lighter method.

Thanks guys, but I sort of already took them to my dad and ended up tying a not after taping the exposed wires back because the left headphone is in a plastic shell ...

Now I wish the cord was a little bit longer as they already had a short reach lol Somehow I damaged the front headphone jack because the extension for the old headphones I was using had a larger plug and I bent it a bit. I also tried bending it back while they were in the headphone jack.

So I have to use the back jacks now ...

That's one aspect I don't find very inviting about the latest in headphones. Too much fragility. :oops:

That's one aspect I don't find very inviting about the latest in headphones. Too much fragility. :oops:
Even a lot of the more expensive, popular "Brand-Name" headphones can be built very cheaply...I'm thinking of experiences I've heard of people who have owned expensive Skullcandy products (like the $149 Aviators) or Beats by Dré ($300). Even some more reputable companies like Etymotic, I owned a pair of them (the in-ear type) and the actual plastic casing itself broke as I was trying to replace the tips! I picked up a pair of Audio-Technica ATH-M50's for around a hundred bucks and they are built like a TANK...I expect them to last for a very, very long time, and they're what I use when I need to toss 'em in a bag and carry them around.

New Threads

Top Bottom