• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Have you ever been happy?

I once read some research that some people are wired to be on a higher continuum of "happiness" than others(and that is for neuro-typicals). I know that I'm not one of those people. It even stresses me out to be around those kinds of people for too long. I'd rather be contented and relaxed.

I think that I might be one of those people, other than the fact that I am not a NT. I do not try to be like that, it is just the way that I am. I think that it has to do with the fact that when bad things do happen, it does not negatively effect me as much as those around me. I have been accused of being cold hearted, but I am not. I just am not very emotional and do not show my feelings as much as most people. And I am contented and relaxed.

I have my moments. When there is no one but me outside (no humans, anyway), I just feel like I love weather so much.

Wow Great insight. I will have to think about this . I am I'd rather deal with bad /difficult weather than bad/difficult people!!

You might try counting your blessings; the things that are good in your life. Even us NT's are not in a complete state of happiness all the time. Life sort of gets in the way. Life on TV is not reality! It is about liking yourself just the way you are. You also might find some suggestions at www.aspergerexperts.com.
The only reason I survive is that 'I count my blessings' everyday and try to focus on the positive.

Happiness is circumstantial, and that is why it is so temporary, elusive and the memories of it can lead to despair. That's why I agree with Crossbreed on this one.
I think it also depends on your temperament - one temperament type is melancholic - the tendency to be much more intense and not as easily sense a state of happiness as others.
Joy on the other hand, is a state of being which is permanent. I think most battle to experience this, and that is ok - it is human.

Yes, I've been able to maintain a level of happiness and satisfaction with my life for about 4 months now. My suicidal thoughts have dissipated for the first time since I was a child, and I'm able to see the good in life now, and that it's worth living. My life is definitely not perfect, and there's still much to work on, but yes, it is possible to wake up daily with a positive attitude, and face life's challenges with a smile. Definitely worth all the work, treatment, self exploration and patience I've had to endure to find this happy place in myself after experience a lifetime of depression.

I find plenty of happy moments in new discoveries of facts in my hobbies.
I find it stressful to actively feel emotions about people. My experience taught me that people often say the same words but mean by them totally different things.
So I'm just tensed to the point of scare when people around me spill their emotions.
I find it's a rather stupid idea of 'sharing emotions' with someone - because any emotion is a result of the a person's perception of a certain fact or action - so the people should assess the effect of these facts/actions in similar way to feel similar way about them.
I have number of friends I talk often with - and I know their way of thinking, so it's easy for me to feel similar emotions with them at the facts. Because I know: we look at the thing and its outcome in similar way.
But with strangers - I'm totally tensed at their bursts of emotions.

I thought a lot and I realized that display of emotions in movies is not truthful. Like types of characters of the heroes - it's not psychologically reliable.

I don't feel 'happy' but when I get to the sea shore at my vacations - I relax and feel deep soothing bliss.
I can not explain people how it is innerly freeing - to just have all my time and my body to myself. To enjoy the nature around, to research my body sensations as I swim, or just walk around, fell the wind or water on my skin and hair. These couple weeks I live for real - but I can't say I'm 'happy' or 'content'. Because meanwhile I meet some people and I do some things I feel very different emotions about.

But also I have never met a person who was 'movie-like' happy in the period as I looked at them.
People in movies don't have real-life troubles and risks thus they emotions are very shallow and simplified: they are just not real.

I no longer expect or indeed require happiness. I seem to trudge along with my life with my feelings of indifference towards the world, and suddenly I will see something (something beautiful outdoors, for example a flower, beautiful cloud formations, trees, water ect or one of my dogs will make me laugh by doing something funny or cute, or someone will smile at me unexpectedly and say hi, that is what gives me fleeting feelings of joy/happiness that make me glad to be alive.

Those are the moments I relive in my head and cling on to as they make me feel (nearly lol) human.

"Peaks and valleys". But no real sense of joy. For me, it is what it is.

Comes in handy for the lottery though. Not for winning it, but losing it. :p

When I know that whatever elation I might feel for a brief time with all that wealth would inevitably evaporate. With a sense of "being all dressed up with nowhere to go". While I would no longer have to worry about survival, I'd still be no happier. o_O

But then hey...what would anyone expect having been formally diagnosed with chronic clinical depression many years ago?

There was a time in my life over 20 years ago that lasted a couple of years during which I experienced real joy and contentment. It was after I had left an abusive ex-husband and was living on my own and independent for the first time. I had work I could deal with that paid the bills and had my free time to myself to relax and recharge. I was starting not to care so much what people thought. I felt I was starting to undo the years of damage done growing up as the "weird one" in an extroverted, unsympathetic NT family. This was years before I ever had any clue that I was autistic. I no longer felt pressured or felt the need to have friends. I was just happy to spend my free time on my own terms, doing what I enjoyed and not having to answer to anyone. In retrospect, sheer bliss.
Then at one point, I was contacted by a former NT friend who wanted to get back in touch. I was initially a bit leery since this was a friend who had pretty much abandoned me when I was having trouble with my ex-husband and could have used the support of a real friend. But I thought it would be nice to have a friend again and for a while, it was. Then after a couple of years, I started feeling depressed again. I started seeing the first of many therapists and taking anti-depressant meds for the first time. In hindsight, I now realize that my friend was giving me the not so subtle message that it wasn't ok to be alone. She was married and kept telling me that I should date and "get out more". She'd fix me up with her husband's single friends, which left me feeling more depressed when things didn't work out. I didn't have the self-confidence to tell her that I was fine on my own. I didn't trust relying on my own instincts to determine what was best for me. And the therapists that I was seeing at the time, who had no clue that I was autistic, were certainly no help.
I eventually got married again and had a son. After all, everyone in my NT family was married and had kids, so I thought that's what was missing in my life. By the time he was a toddler, I realized that though he was intelligent in many ways, something was different about my son. He talked later than other kids and had tantrums that seemed far more out of control than other kids' tantrums. Discipline methods described in popular parenting books didn't work on him. I felt like an awful mother at first, and then started wondering if he was autistic. I began doing research and reading extensively about autism. Then I had an epiphany: "Holy ****, I'm autistic myself!" Over the years, I'd been told that I was depressed, even bipolar, and was prescribed medications that would eventually stop working, didn't work at all or did real harm.
My son and I were officially diagnosed several years ago. I finally found an amazing therapist who is actually on the spectrum herself and whom I wish I had met years ago. But I'd already made choices in my life that couldn't be undone. Years of dealing with my son's issues while working full-time really did a number on me. I was even the primary support of our family when my husband was unemployed for a couple of years. I cut back on my hours when my husband went back to work, but had become so depressed and anxiety-ridden, that I stopped working altogether two years ago. I hate being financially dependent on my husband since I was once so independent and self-sufficient. Life with my husband and son involves socializing that I find exhausting. What I wouldn't give to go back to those years when I was happy to be on my own. My husband realizes that I have regrets, but I always try to go to great lengths to never let my son realize this. And this in itself is exhausting. I made a choice and I never want my son to feel that he isn't loved and accepted for who he is. He deserves the unconditional love that I didn't get when I was growing up.
Sorry for such a long, drawn out response to a simple question. But a very thought provoking question. I can't change the way my life turned out, but I can give some advice: if you're really content and satisfied being alone, don't let anyone try to convince you that you'd be better off otherwise. Relationships aren't for everyone and it's ok to be alone if that's what you want. Would I have continued being happy if I hadn't let my NT friend needle me into "getting out more"? Hard to say. But if I knew then what I know about myself now, I would have trusted my own judgement about what was right for me. So please, don't let anyone pressure you into questioning your version of happiness.

There was a time in my life over 20 years ago that lasted a couple of years during which I experienced real joy and contentment. It was after I had left an abusive ex-husband and was living on my own and independent for the first time. I had work I could deal with that paid the bills and had my free time to myself to relax and recharge. I was starting not to care so much what people thought. I felt I was starting to undo the years of damage done growing up as the "weird one" in an extroverted, unsympathetic NT family. This was years before I ever had any clue that I was autistic. I no longer felt pressured or felt the need to have friends. I was just happy to spend my free time on my own terms, doing what I enjoyed and not having to answer to anyone. In retrospect, sheer bliss.
Then at one point, I was contacted by a former NT friend who wanted to get back in touch. I was initially a bit leery since this was a friend who had pretty much abandoned me when I was having trouble with my ex-husband and could have used the support of a real friend. But I thought it would be nice to have a friend again and for a while, it was. Then after a couple of years, I started feeling depressed again. I started seeing the first of many therapists and taking anti-depressant meds for the first time. In hindsight, I now realize that my friend was giving me the not so subtle message that it wasn't ok to be alone. She was married and kept telling me that I should date and "get out more". She'd fix me up with her husband's single friends, which left me feeling more depressed when things didn't work out. I didn't have the self-confidence to tell her that I was fine on my own. I didn't trust relying on my own instincts to determine what was best for me. And the therapists that I was seeing at the time, who had no clue that I was autistic, were certainly no help.
I eventually got married again and had a son. After all, everyone in my NT family was married and had kids, so I thought that's what was missing in my life. By the time he was a toddler, I realized that though he was intelligent in many ways, something was different about my son. He talked later than other kids and had tantrums that seemed far more out of control than other kids' tantrums. Discipline methods described in popular parenting books didn't work on him. I felt like an awful mother at first, and then started wondering if he was autistic. I began doing research and reading extensively about autism. Then I had an epiphany: "Holy ****, I'm autistic myself!" Over the years, I'd been told that I was depressed, even bipolar, and was prescribed medications that would eventually stop working, didn't work at all or did real harm.
My son and I were officially diagnosed several years ago. I finally found an amazing therapist who is actually on the spectrum herself and whom I wish I had met years ago. But I'd already made choices in my life that couldn't be undone. Years of dealing with my son's issues while working full-time really did a number on me. I was even the primary support of our family when my husband was unemployed for a couple of years. I cut back on my hours when my husband went back to work, but had become so depressed and anxiety-ridden, that I stopped working altogether two years ago. I hate being financially dependent on my husband since I was once so independent and self-sufficient. Life with my husband and son involves socializing that I find exhausting. What I wouldn't give to go back to those years when I was happy to be on my own. My husband realizes that I have regrets, but I always try to go to great lengths to never let my son realize this. And this in itself is exhausting. I made a choice and I never want my son to feel that he isn't loved and accepted for who he is. He deserves the unconditional love that I didn't get when I was growing up.
Sorry for such a long, drawn out response to a simple question. But a very thought provoking question. I can't change the way my life turned out, but I can give some advice: if you're really content and satisfied being alone, don't let anyone try to convince you that you'd be better off otherwise. Relationships aren't for everyone and it's ok to be alone if that's what you want. Would I have continued being happy if I hadn't let my NT friend needle me into "getting out more"? Hard to say. But if I knew then what I know about myself now, I would have trusted my own judgement about what was right for me. So please, don't let anyone pressure you into questioning your version of happiness.
Your post resonated with me very much. Whether the working full time=burnout+chronic depression and anxiety equation or the difficult social demand that comes with being a wife and a mother. Sometimes just picking up my children from school when they were really little and having to walk through people with a stupid grin on my face, (especially when you're a minority and don't want to compound 'weird witch' to the preconceived stereotypes that hover over you), greeting people while walking as fast as I could, would really be exhausting!!
Even though I've never lived on my own, I can totally imagine how blissful it was for you.
Like I said, for whatever reason. Your post really touched me and I understand the point you were trying to make and agree.

I'm not sure.

However, reading your post brought the classic Tinkertoy construction set to mind.

A strength of many on the spectrum is the innate ability to see whole, original designs in perfect spec in their heads and then build them in the real world.

Maybe you are building happiness with the pile on the floor right in front of you.

Make it a beautiful, well lit space that fits you comfortably and wears well.

You might try counting your blessings; the things that are good in your life. Even us NT's are not in a complete state of happiness all the time. Life sort of gets in the way. Life on TV is not reality! It is about liking yourself just the way you are. You also might find some suggestions at www.aspergerexperts.com.

With all due respect, are you really serious or are you just being a troll? Yes, we get that things could always be worse. I could be living in a warzone and being subjected to a genocidal campaign. I've actually said that to myself at one point. Autistic people are a lot more perceptive than you probably think. But this is a forum for people on the autism spectrum, or at least it should be. Even if you're a neurotypical parent or grandparent of an autistic person, you still really have no inkling of what it's like to be autistic. Let me ask you this. Autism is not a disease; but just for the sake of comparison, would you go to a cancer survivors' website and tell cancer survivors looking for support from fellow cancer survivors to "count their blessings"? Do you honestly think it would be helpful?

Your post resonated with me very much. Whether the working full time=burnout+chronic depression and anxiety equation or the difficult social demand that comes with being a wife and a mother. Sometimes just picking up my children from school when they were really little and having to walk through people with a stupid grin on my face, (especially when you're a minority and don't want to compound 'weird witch' to the preconceived stereotypes that hover over you), greeting people while walking as fast as I could, would really be exhausting!!
Even though I've never lived on my own, I can totally imagine how blissful it was for you.
Like I said, for whatever reason. Your post really touched me and I understand the point you were trying to make and agree.

Thanks Aspiegirl! I take my son to a jujitsu class three times a week. Just putting on my "congenial mask" when I walk into the waiting room where other parents are sitting is incredibly demanding. And once I've retreated into a corner to try to quietly read, I'm exhausted after trying to filter out incessant chatter for an hour. And on the weekends, his bowling league! My son is a very proficient bowler and it doesn't seem to bother him, but trying to deal with the noise and lighting in the bowling alley while interacting with other parents drives me to distraction.

I fell in love once. It was the happiest two years of my life followed by three years of misery. I'm no longer miserable six years later but I've been on emotional autopilot for most of my twenties.

And I don't mean 'omg, I aced this test'-happy or I just got asked out by this hot guy/girl-happy. Or anything along these lines.
I mean HAPPY, you know, like it's always portrayed on TV or in books (well, until the ultimate tragedy hits!!! ), or like those friend couples you know who are so in love and so happy, it makes you nauseous! :p
For me, happiness has always been but fleeting moments, few and far in between!!
I don't even think I know anymore what that really means and I'd sure be grateful for some explanations.
No matter what happened in my life there was something holding back that darn happiness, anybody else?!
Today I think I realized that I'm too afraid to let myself experience calm happiness/contentedness, as though I am hooked/programmed to be anxious or detached. So I want to change that. It kind of makes sense of how at times I will think I feel fine, but others will note that I seem tense....and I think I kind of don't relax really.

I have experienced happiness from time to time. It's usually caused by little or simple things like a view of the stars at night, or the fresh smell of rain, or spending genuine time with someone I care about. These might be leaning more towards contentment but I think that being content briefly in my life does make me happy. These feelings are always fleeting though. I believe that happiness is a life long pursuit that can be caught and held briefly before it slips through my fingers again.

There is overlap where NT strategies are practical for us auties, too. YMMV

I think both NTs and autistics could learn useful strategies from one another if given the chance. Unfortunately, there are a few serial misinformed posters on this website who mistakenly believe it is exclusive to only autistics.

Mm, only really in those fleeting moments. Antidepressants have helped me achieve more of an "okay" state, which is so much better than constant sadness. I'll take okay.

New Threads

Top Bottom