• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Have I found the answer?

Phanelope

I apologise in advance for this rambling post. I’m feeling really overwhelmed with emotion right now, partly because I think I have finally discovered why I’m so different, but could also be because I missed my medication for two days and just had one this morning .

I have posted here a few times with queries about my son’s who I’m pretty sure are on the spectrum. Naturally I have been doing more research on it, and have discovered a strong family history through my cousins. I have also looked into autism in adults and specifically autism in women. I have just watched a few different videos on autism in females on YouTube and tick every box. As a child I was extremely anxious. My mum described me as “shy and sooky” and I was often punished for my fears. I was mildly OCD, enjoying collecting things and often wanting a set of toys to display rather than play with, but I remember having a messy room as a teen. I was teased a lot as a child, I’m honestly not sure why, but I remember being called “cry baby” a lot.

I struggled to “talk” in childhood and early adulthood. I could speak, but I would stutter, stammer, mumble, talk too quiet or too fast. I barely passed English, despite a love of reading and writing. I simply didn’t understand the formalities of Language. It was only after I had children and was forced into more social situations (appointments, school meetings etc) that I started to learn the rules of speech, but it is still a conscious effort for me. I have extreme social anxiety and fear having to go to work. I often avoid work simply because I feel overwhelmed and just can’t handle people for the day.

I also struggle to hear people, even though I’ve had my hearing checked and it’s within normal limits. I can hear my kids jumping on the bed in a room on the other side of the house with the door closed. I can hear my phone vibrating on silent in another room with the door closed, but I can’t hear people speak. I also need to have the captions on when I’m watching tv even with the sound turned up. I can however hear in a cinema I believe because there is no other light or sound interference. I also can’t handle loud music on the radio because I can’t concentrate on driving, but I can handle it in a night club. I tend to zone out when people are talking to me and at times don’t realise they are talking to me until they’ve touched me or called my name repeatedly. This also causes problems at work because I miss when the kids ask me something (I work in education) or I miss an instruction. I often have to write down instructions and sometimes when people don’t give me the time to get paper I get extreme anxiety, miss the verbal instructions completely and then have to guess what they said.

I don’t have any particular obsessions, although I do enjoy video games quite a bit (namely Zelda and FFVII). I do however get hyperfocused on topics/books/movies/people for weeks to months and then lose interest (apparently an ADHD trait). I am mildly Obsessive compulsive and like things to be in order. I do collect packaging, which I guess is not very average. I feel like I will need it again to repackage things, but I never do. I like rules and regulations and get extremely upset if people don’t follow them. Especially in social situations, because it’s hard for me to understand what’s going on when people don’t behave the way I expect them to.

I’m not sure about face blindness. I tend to mis recognise faces a lot, thinking people are someone but they’re not, but I don’t have problems remembering people if they come up to me. I don’t use people’s names because it actually makes me feel horrible saying them. I read dale carnegie’s How to make friends and I tried to follow that rule and I just couldn’t do it.

I hate talking to people on the phone or in person and prefer to use text and email. I sometimes avoid phone calls even from family and close friends in favour of text. I get really irritated when people call me. If I go to a party etc. I have to take my husband or best friend. I don’t necessarily talk through them, but I feel like I need them there to be able to talk to other people. If they leave me even for a moment I suffer extreme anxiety and I’ll usually go and hide in the corner or in the bathroom.

All of these things make me feel like I must be on the spectrum. However, I have been told (by people who are NOT autistic mind) that people with autism can’t do certain things, namely understand sarcasm, understand someone else’s point of view, and have the desire to connect with others, and I do all these things (although a lot of people don’t get my sarcasm which makes me think I’m not as good at it as I think I am) so what do actually autistic people think? Can you do any or all of these things? Is there anything specifically that an autistic person definitely can’t do? Do you think my desire to fit in is just making me look for austistic traits that aren’t actually there?

ETA: forgot about stimming. This isn’t an obvious one to me. I have my nervous twitches, like foot tapping, scratching my head, bouncing on my feet, swaying. But I don’t do it all the time. I only really do it when Im either restless, or (this is weird) feel like I’m floating away and need movement to ground me.

All of these things make me feel like I must be on the spectrum. However, I have been told (by people who are NOT autistic mind) that people with autism can’t do certain things, namely understand sarcasm, understand someone else’s point of view, and have the desire to connect with others, and I do all these things (although a lot of people don’t get my sarcasm which makes me think I’m not as good at it as I think I am) so what do actually autistic people think? Can you do any or all of these things?
I’m an Aspie woman, and I do all of these things. Don’t let others force their stereotypes on you. Best of luck on your journey.

I was shy/introverted, not sure if that's why I was punished or not. I had a messy room but my parents were both slobs, not sure why they periodically made a big deal about cleaning my room and doing chores of cleaning the rest of the house. Cinderella much?

I would also stutter and talk quiet/fast, not sure what formalities of language are? For me, anything qualifying as public speaking, including speaking up in class or in meetings at work, as well as typical public speaking, always made me really anxious/nervous/heart racing, etc. Sometimes I'm amazed that I ever graduated or had decent jobs.

I also have trouble understanding what people are saying. If I'm watching tv, I always have the CC/words on, otherwise it's really difficult for me to figure out, especially accents. Pretty often I'll just not watch a show if there are no words on the screen.

I do focus a lot on a specific topic but I don't think I obsess about a topic, it just makes sense to read more or watch videos on a topic to learn about it. But there are times when I'll read several books at once so who knows.

I've experienced face blindness for years, even with close friends, etc. There were many times I'd get a sense they were different, is that who I think? Or someone else? I used to have a public facing job and it was horrible trying to remember regulars names. My coworker would often remind me just as a regular was walking in. Sometimes I feel like I'm just walking around with a bunch of crutches or illiterate, I don't know how I've made it this far.

I like rules when they help make a place functional and not dysfunctional. I hate when there are rules for no reason or when it would be so simple to give a one line explanation but they don't.

I'm not a fan of talking on the phone, mainly when it's customer service calls because they take so long. If they were quicker about it I probably wouldn't mind. And since emails are included with my internet access, and phone calls are not (non-plan phone), I try not to use the phone as much. If calls were free maybe I'd use the phone more.

When I order stuff and have packing materials, if it's big I try to get rid of it, but I do keep a few boxes/bubble wrap around for returns. I really don't like tons of stuff around if I can get rid of it, partially due to my dust allergy, guess I got over my slobbish teen ways :)

As for your need to have someone around when you're talking to people, I only experienced that with one person. I was terrified of my father, guess it's good that he's dead, I don't mean that in a bad way but for me... But usually when someone is always with someone I actually feel cornered to talk to more than one person at a time. Maybe this has something to do with looking at more than one person in the eye, it feels distracting to the point of overwhelming, like an imminent attack. I understand your reasoning for it but I'd prefer talking one on one to people.

I usually understand sarcasm but I do remember one boss I had that didn't or at least it seemed that way. I didn't know anything about autism then so I was more confused than she was! or maybe she just didn't like sarcasm or in my case, I don't like or understand many puns.

I don't think it's about fitting in or not, for me, reading more about autism/aspergers is just to understand me better as a way of approaching my life, being more aware of my abilities I guess. If I had known about autism in women years ago, I think I would've understood me better too, and possibly learned some ways around it.

I can relate to what you write - I also got teased a lot when I was a kid, I also got called 'cry baby' because I couldn't handle other kids and melted down a lot - I became to hate the words 'baby' and 'little' and sought to eliminate them from a couple of library books I had and that got me into a lot of trouble. I can relate to your difficulties with hearing, making out speech, missing instructions, speaking on the phone. I also rely on my partner as a prop in social situations. one of the worst things that happened to me was at my sister's wedding, they seated me away from my family, on a separate table with strangers, and for years I really resented this, I thought that she had done it on purpose. I also collect and hoard - in my case music albums (though not sure that this is an autistic trait?).
All of these things make me feel like I must be on the spectrum. However, I have been told (by people who are NOT autistic mind) that people with autism can’t do certain things, namely understand sarcasm, understand someone else’s point of view, and have the desire to connect with others, and I do all these things (although a lot of people don’t get my sarcasm which makes me think I’m not as good at it as I think I am) so what do actually autistic people think? Can you do any or all of these things? Is there anything specifically that an autistic person definitely can’t do? Do you think my desire to fit in is just making me look for austistic traits that aren’t actually there?
If you go onto a site and they have a symptoms list, then this is a list of all the traits that someone can possibly have, not all the traits that a person must have. It may refer to children on the spectrum, who may be delayed or slow to develop these skills - but usually, as adults, they develop some social skills or abilities, and the difficulties become more subtle. With me, I am aware that not everything is to be taken literally or seriously, I know that I need to look out for sarcasm, but I don't always detect it - it's hit and miss with me. As a child, I had considerable difficulty with humour, handling teasing, banter and that kind of thing - still can't do banter.

Autism isn't one single thing that people on the spectrum can't do or which is different, it is rather a cluster of difficulties that come together to form an autism profile. If you take any single trait on its own, you will find people who have this trait, NTS and autistics alike, but when a combination of traits comes together, then it is autism.

Getting information about Autism from those without Autism will usually mean it's wrong. All of those things mentioned are wrong. For instance, understanding sarcasm isn't the problem, it's understanding the body language and tone to discern sarcastic remarks from statements. This difference can be learned quickly by being around annoying teenage girls.

The only way to know for sure is a full evaluation in order to get a diagnosis. If a full diagnosis won't help you regarding gaining necessary support then there is no reason to get one. You are who you are, Autistic or not. There's really no reason to be part of one group or the other.

I have a lot of problems with working and I’m under a tremendous amount of pressure to get a job which is making my anxiety worse. It’s not that I don’t want to work, I actually enjoy working, but I want my employer to understand my difficulties. Unfortunately I don’t think they’ll be understanding if I just say I get overwhelmed by social situations, have trouble following verbal instructions, and have trouble abandoning incomplete tasks. With a proper diagnosis they legally wouldn’t be able to deny me employment. I think I can do most jobs just fine by adapting, but I need the chance to adapt.

Unfortunately diagnosis is so expensive.

Hi. Overall from what you are saying it seems like you have identified a fair number of traits within yourself that could indicate that you are autistic. I've possibly got a couple of things to add in/ask you that may give you a few more things to reflect on. Overall, if it is concerning you and having an effect on your daily life (which it sounds like it might be) that you feel is significant then it may be worth talking to your doctor about it.

"However, I have been told (by people who are NOT autistic mind) that people with autism can’t do certain things, namely understand sarcasm, understand someone else’s point of view, and have the desire to connect with others".

To start with - from my perspective, I love sarcasm. I find it great fun and generally understand it well. There are times when it is more difficult to understand (when other people don't put as much of the tones in their voice to indicate it, or where it doesn't make sense to be used in conversation at this point), but 90% of the time I understand sarcasm. I generally enjoy understanding other people's points of view and actively seek out ways to understand it, as I can find it difficult to determine it without discussing it in some circumstances - but as to whether I understand other people's points of view, I believe I can. Finally, as highlighted from the last one, I have a desire to connect with others (at least my partner would hope so!) I have a good number of solid relationships with people that I find important to me and I have a desire to connect with them. Also my job is very much centred around working with people and connecting with them, so that comes in as well.

I am autistic. However, I was diagnosed as an adult and therefore the way I present it is probably reasonably subtle (probably as I have also gained a load of coping strategies over the years to make it look more subtle). Therefore, to the original points - I believe that you can be autistic and still be able to do those things.

I can't say anything about whether your desire to fit in is giving you autistic traits, as that is something that you can probably understand more about then me as it is happening to you. However, I can say that I had similar thoughts leading up to my diagnosis and the doctor thought that I was autistic and those thoughts turned out to be anxieties around the whole process of diagnosis.

As another thing to think of is what you mean by mildly OCD - as with autism there can be obsessions but they are generally different from the ones in OCD (at least from what I've learnt in studies and the experiences that I have had discussing this with someone I know with OCD). For OCD the obsessions and compulsions come from a negative place, whether that is that you are afraid by saying a word in a sentence means that someone is going to die or that if you cannot wash your hands after that touched an object someone else has touched that you will get ill and everything will go wrong (and a load more examples that I can't truly understand as I do not believe that I have OCD). While for autism, obsessions (at least from my perspective) seem to come from a more positive place. When I am obsessed playing a computer game (for example: FFVII and LoZ - both excellent series by the way) then I may carry on playing it for hours on end but that is not due to any foreseen consequence from not doing it, it's just that the positives I get from doing it are huge. When I am exhausted and having a loop of thought continuously going back to one idea, it's generally to understand it and because it is interesting to me. There is no negative consequence to it in itself (apart from feeling utterly exhausted by the whole thing, something that is also experienced with OCD) but it can lead to issues if you are not able to stop it to do the general things in daily life (I had a day where I couldn't leave my room because I had an obsession about the light switches outside being switched off if no one was in the hallway and I didn't know if the lights were on or off and so I avoided leaving so I wouldn't have to know. There were no consequences from this apart from my own feelings about the sense of order from it, which I why I believe it is more of an autism obsession. But still had an effect and was not the most fun XD). Therefore, I guess what I'm getting to, is it may be worth thinking about what causes you to experience obsessions and/or compulsions and what is the cause - is it something negative or is it something positive. It is possible to have autism and OCD, but if you have 'mild OCD' it could potentially be something else.

Overall this sounds like a tough time for you, but you are doing the right things. Thinking about these things are important. Try to talk about this with people that you know and see what they say, as they may be able to provide some perspectives to help and more importantly just be able to support you generally. Make sure that you take care of yourself, as that's important regardless of any labels that we can give to things we experience :)

Therefore, I guess what I'm getting to, is it may be worth thinking about what causes you to experience obsessions and/or compulsions and what is the cause - is it something negative or is it something positive. It is possible to have autism and OCD, but if you have 'mild OCD' it could potentially be something else.
Thank you so much for sharing your views. I have OCPD (or so we think) which means I like things to stay in order. I get really upset by things not being in their place. I think I’m normal for wanting things in order. It keeps things neat and makes them easy to find, but my friends and family are constantly making fun of my “OCD”. But apparently thinking you’re normal is part of OCPD too.

To give you a good example of how this affects me in my life I’ll tell you this story. One day at work we had separated the children into groups and wanted to make sure each group had a good selection of different coloured textas (markers) that had been thrown into a large box. The other teachers were just randomly grabbing handfuls and handing them to the kids. I was going through and sorting them into colour shades and making sure each bundle had one of each colour. The group leader was rushing us to get them out, but I continued to sort them into colours. When another teacher just grabbed the packs out of my hand that I hadn’t finished, I was furious. Then I was overwhelmed with anxiety as I watched the kids struggle With having multiples of one colour and none of another. I spent the rest of the event trying to hand out the colours evenly and ignoring the other part of my job, which was to manage student behaviour. It wasn’t until the textas were put away that I was finally able to forget about it. When I reflected on it, I thought, stuff like that is definitely going to make me lose my job.

So I guess it’s positive in the sense I like things to be neat, but negative in that it can be disruptive.

With the game thing, every time I go past the gaming store at any shopping centre I will always go in and look at the Zelda merchandise, but I never buy anything (because I’m broke), but if for some reason I’m in a rush and can’t go in, I’ll feel like I’ve missed something important. I watch LoZ and FFVII videos on YouTube quite a bit, but I will also watch other videos. So this doesn’t interfere with my life as much.

To give you a good example of how this affects me in my life I’ll tell you this story. One day at work we had separated the children into groups and wanted to make sure each group had a good selection of different coloured textas (markers) that had been thrown into a large box. The other teachers were just randomly grabbing handfuls and handing them to the kids. I was going through and sorting them into colour shades and making sure each bundle had one of each colour. The group leader was rushing us to get them out, but I continued to sort them into colours. When another teacher just grabbed the packs out of my hand that I hadn’t finished, I was furious. Then I was overwhelmed with anxiety as I watched the kids struggle With having multiples of one colour and none of another. I spent the rest of the event trying to hand out the colours evenly and ignoring the other part of my job, which was to manage student behaviour. It wasn’t until the textas were put away that I was finally able to forget about it. When I reflected on it, I thought, stuff like that is definitely going to make me lose my job.
Your way was definitely the correct way to do it.

Last edited:
Wouldn't it have been more efficient to distribute the markers blind first and then let the groups of kids trade markers they had copies of or that they didn't want?

At the school I was at, the pencils or markers came in packs with one of each colour, so this was never an issue.

Wouldn't it have been more efficient to distribute the markers blind first and then let the groups of kids trade markers they had copies of or that they didn't want?
It was about 100 kids. It was easier for us to hand them out. But they should’ve been sorted into their packs before being thrown into the box in the first place. I was enraged when after the event they just threw them back in jumbled up again. So next time they’re going to have the same problem.

See what I mean about keeping things organised and ordered? But people try to say there’s something wrong with me.

Eh. It's not like education is where the smart people end up. Sorting and keeping things organized is for engineers. A change of career might be the suitable approach. More money too.

I’ve never really had an interest in engineering, I always thought of it as working with mechanics, which don’t really interest me. I have thought working with data might suit me. Or maybe IT. I chose teaching because I find it so much easier to relate to kids than adults.

New Threads

Top Bottom