• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Has SPD (sensory processing disorder) ever gotten you into trouble?

Chance

"all who wander are not lost" - Tolkien
V.I.P Member
Mine just did a little while ago... again.
Right now I'm a 5'8", 175lb clump of pissed off ...(at myself).

I just got stopped for 17mph over the speed limit (87 in a 70) and got a warning (which is very cool).

BUT the nice officer gave me a ticket for not having my seat belt on. It's not that I don't think they save lives, or that I don't think I need to wear it... I know all that is true.

This ticket stays on my record for 7 years, and it makes my car insurance go up, and all sorts of nice things. Its a bad ticket to get.

The stupid seat belts, or even a tights shirt, drives me up a freaking tree.
I cant stand the seat belt touching, rubbing on me, and pressing against me.

I was of course upset, and I started shaking and having trouble getting words out... I was fearing he was about to search me or give me a sobriety test. I felt like I was freaking out pretty bad and I was starting to scare myself, cause I couldn't control it, and settle the F down.

He asked me if I have a medical condition and I wanted to say hell no! But I explained to the Officer that I have SPD and he was nice and it seemed to put him at ease a that point, so I did settle down some. He told me to present proof of that to the Justice of the Peace and they 'might' drop the ticket. Now I have to deal with all this junk...

My hands were shaking so bad I couldn't hardly get my license back in my wallet, and I still had to sign the stupid ticket... Good Lord, and I wonder why people make fun of me... My brains battery is now dead, I am exhausted from just getting a damn ticket.

This is my first ticket in maybe 10 years.
50 miles of freaking nothing and the 1 Tahoe I meet is DPS (Highway Patrol)... geez.
I know I shouldn't have been speeding, but I was... and it is what it is I guess.

So has your SPD got you into a mess?

I have prolly 100 different stories. One is about my underwear at a Company Christmas party but lets not go there... Random babbling geez... I'm so pissed at me. I need a nap for about 10 hours.

Usually any sensory issues I have just get me into social messes, such as having to leave a concert because of not only the noise, but all the goddamn light and people touching me to the point where I was about to have a full on meltdown right then and there. I could list another million situations that immediately seem to turn people away from me because they think I'm some kind of antisocial weirdo for not wanting, or physically being able to handle some things. Fortunately for me, the law has not been involved any time before, but who knows, it might someday.

You handled yourself pretty well,
I think. Maybe a brisk walk would help discharge your distress. I'd be rattled, too!

Just a thought for SPD and seat belts: Have you ever considered a weighted vest? They can be very calming, and help when you need distraction gor the straps of the seat belt safety harness. There are done totally cool ones at SensaCalm! That's where I ordered my weighted blanket. Very effective!

I'm hoping you begin to feel much better soon.

You handled yourself pretty well,
I think. Maybe a brisk walk would help discharge your distress. I'd be rattled, too!

Just a thought for SPD and seat belts: Have you ever considered a weighted vest? They can be very calming, and help when you need distraction gor the straps of the seat belt safety harness. There are done totally cool ones at SensaCalm! That's where I ordered my weighted blanket. Very effective!

I'm hoping you begin to feel much better soon.

Thank you... I have heard of people wearing them, but never really considered it.. maybe they can make mine like bullet proof and tactical all in the same theme... or just make a Chance ready straight jacket...
: )

I've gotten in trouble and made fun of for wearing my sunglasses indoors (especially school) and at night.

I had to deal with a baby and a small yappy dog on an airplane going from Houston to New York City. The baby quieted down after a few seconds the dog did not. Thankfully I didn't get myself thrown off the plane but it was more embarrassing and annoying that I had to tell the woman to shut up her dog up. My nerves were about shot after I left the plane ride and dealing with TSA wasn't any easier.

New Threads

Top Bottom