• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Has anyone else changed majors an infinite number of times?

CultOfLoonLoon

Purple Priest
I really would like to get back into the rhythm of going to school, but I have a problem that really needs to be addressed before I can do so.

I graduated high school in 2007 with a not-so-good GPA and didn't take the SAT's, either. As a result, I started going to community college. I loved it there. The campus was beautiful, the weather was nice, there were plenty of spots to hide away. Seemingly perfect.

Not all was perfect, though.

Every time I had a particularly good professor, or went off on a new obsession(tangent), I'd change my academic major. My friends would all call me wishy washy or lazy or unmotivated. But, in reality, what was going on is much more complicated.

I tried different schools only to get the same results.

Biology
English
Early education
Criminal Justice
Comparative religion

etc...

Does anyone else understand my pain..?
And furthermore, is there a solution?

Could you explain the complicated part?
I always find it very complicated and trying to explain obsessions to NT's because I do not fully understand their nature myself. Maybe it's not complicated at all, but I lack the ability to explain it to others.

So you are saying that your interests change.

Interesting. I'm an aspie and my interests have pretty much stayed the same for the last 30 years. Technology has allowed me to add new interests like video editing but I haven't lost any interests.

Have you considered thinking about your career goal and taking the classes you need to achieve this goal?

I have 3 college degrees and I can assure you that although I largely enjoyed my experiences as a student, I hated some of the classes I had to take.

In culinary school, I hated my wine class because I'm allergic to alcohol.

In graduate school, I hated statistics.

As an undergraduate I had to take a class in art history. That was incredibly boring ... and history is one of my favorite subjects but art just makes me want to yawn.

The thing is that with all 3 degrees, I took classes I didn't like because that's what I had to do to graduate.

So instead of moving from one major to another, think about your endgame. What do you want to do with your life and how can you use an education to help you?

So instead of moving from one major to another, think about your endgame. What do you want to do with your life and how can you use an education to help you?
My main problem is that I can't seem to figure out my endgame. Because I can be hyper "into" anything for a few months and then my interest diminishes in the blink of an eye.

I've noticed that there is a common denominator in all of my interest, hobbies and obsessions. The desire to help others in some immaterial way.

I've noticed that there is a common denominator in all of my interest, hobbies and obsessions. The desire to help others in some immaterial way.

So make a list of all the occupations that would allow you to do this.

Here's a start.
  • Teacher
  • Social worker
  • Healthcare: doctor, nurse, nurse's aide, medication technician, EMT
  • Psychologist
  • Guidance Counselor
  • Firefighter
  • Law enforcement

So make a list of all the occupations that would allow you to do this.

Here's a start.
  • Teacher
  • Social worker
  • Healthcare: doctor, nurse, nurse's aide, medication technician, EMT
  • Psychologist
  • Guidance Counselor
  • Firefighter
  • Law enforcement
Unironically, when I was going to community college, I went through all of those majors save Fire Technology.
I have been considering pharmacist technician lately, but I'm intimidated to take the next step for fear that I won't follow through with it.

I'm intimidated to take the next step for fear that I won't follow through with it.

I don't know about you, but I see the world in flow charts. For every event that I'm involved in, there are usually multiple options.

Do I ask the cute brunette out on a date? Yes or no? The yes option (especially if she were to answer with a yes) could lead towards all sorts of possibilities ... a pleasant evening, a new friend, a possible relationship ... and if I were to ask and she said no, that wouldn't leave me any worse off than I was ... but giving up entirely and not asking her out at all would leave me right where I was.

Sometimes you have to take the yes option. The outcome might not be what you wanted but at least you tried.

Always choosing the no option will leave you in a rut. You aren't moving forward. You aren't moving at all. Life is plodding on and leaving you behind.

Sometimes you have to take a chance.

Many years ago while I was still a young teacher, I took a chance and went to an ISS (international schools service) job fair. The job fair was being held in New Orleans and after arriving at the fair and registering, I was given a list that covered 3 days ... and each day had time slots available for job interviews.

On the day of the event, the applicants were let into a huge hotel ballroom. Around the perimeter of the room were tables with recruiters. The name of their school and the country they were in were on big posters on the wall above them.

The line for schools in Europe was long ... Aberdeen, Rome, Bucharest ...

The line for popular destinations in Asia were also long ... Tokyo ... Bangkok ... Singapore.

There was almost no one in line for the Saudi Aramco Schools in Saudi Arabia. Why? The Iraqis had invaded Kuwait and the U.S. and its allies were building up troops in Saudi Arabia along the Kuwait and Iraqi border. The Iraqis had countered by shooting scud missiles at Saudi Arabia. Saudi Arabia was a potential war zone.

I got in line to talk to the recruiter for Saudi Aramco. The superintendent looked at my resume, asked a few questions, and then penned me in for an appointment. 24 hours later, I had a job that paid 3 times more than what I was making in Texas. Within 6 months, I was boots on the ground in Saudi Arabia ... and I was there for seven years.

The nest egg I made in Saudi Arabia gave me all sorts of options when I returned stateside and during my employment with Aramco, I got to travel and see the world.

And none of this would have happened if I hadn't signed up for the ISS job fair or gotten in line to speak to the Aramco recruiter.

Sometimes you just have to take a chance.

Take a Chance.png

I don't know about you, but I see the world in flow charts. For every event that I'm involved in, there are usually multiple options.

Do I ask the cute brunette out on a date? Yes or no? The yes option (especially if she were to answer with a yes) could lead towards all sorts of possibilities ... a pleasant evening, a new friend, a possible relationship ... and if I were to ask and she said no, that wouldn't leave me any worse off than I was ... but giving up entirely and not asking her out at all would leave me right where I was.

Sometimes you have to take the yes option. The outcome might not be what you wanted but at least you tried.

Always choosing the no option will leave you in a rut. You aren't moving forward. You aren't moving at all. Life is plodding on and leaving you behind.

Sometimes you have to take a chance.

Many years ago while I was still a young teacher, I took a chance and went to an ISS (international schools service) job fair. The job fair was being held in New Orleans and after arriving at the fair and registering, I was given a list that covered 3 days ... and each day had time slots available for job interviews.

On the day of the event, the applicants were let into a huge hotel ballroom. Around the perimeter of the room were tables with recruiters. The name of their school and the country they were in were on big posters on the wall above them.

The line for schools in Europe was long ... Aberdeen, Rome, Bucharest ...

The line for popular destinations in Asia were also long ... Tokyo ... Bangkok ... Singapore.

There was almost no one in line for the Saudi Aramco Schools in Saudi Arabia. Why? The Iraqis had invaded Kuwait and the U.S. and its allies were building up troops in Saudi Arabia along the Kuwait and Iraqi border. The Iraqis had countered by shooting scud missiles at Saudi Arabia. Saudi Arabia was a potential war zone.

I got in line to talk to the recruiter for Saudi Aramco. The superintendent looked at my resume, asked a few questions, and then penned me in for an appointment. 24 hours later, I had a job that paid 3 times more than what I was making in Texas. Within 6 months, I was boots on the ground in Saudi Arabia ... and I was there for seven years.

The nest egg I made in Saudi Arabia gave me all sorts of options when I returned stateside and during my employment with Aramco, I got to travel and see the world.

And none of this would have happened if I hadn't signed up for the ISS job fair or gotten in line to speak to the Aramco recruiter.

Sometimes you just have to take a chance.

View attachment 21206
Wow, that is a super inspirational story. I'm definitely applying for FAFSA when I wake up tomorrow morning! Thank you so much!

Yes, I changed majors an infinite amount of times. Eventually I realized that I just needed to graduate and pick literally anything to do so because I couldn't keep accumulating student debt. I decided that my career was going to be a means to an end. Instead of finding the major that fit my interests, which were themselves quite abstract and nebulous and refused to fit into any square box, I would pick the major / career path that made it easiest to pursue those interests as myself, not as a job title.

This doesn't work for everyone, and every interest. I've doubted whether or not this was the right decision too many times to count. I've seriously considered turning back on it. Right now though, I'm generally comfortable with sticking to it.

DC1346, your story is fascinating. I would love to hear more about your experience in Saudi Arabia - although it's not a place I can go to, for reasons other than the regional instability which affects everyone. Aspies aren't known to be nomad types, so I always get excited when I encounter someone who might also be one. :grin:

Aspies aren't known to be nomad types, so I always get excited when I encounter someone who might also be one. :grin:

I've given up the life of a world traveler because now that I'm back in the states, I have cats. My father thinks I'm being ridiculous. He thinks I should just drop them off at the shelter ... but he's not a cat person and he doesn't know that all of my cats have very distinct personalities. I think of them as little people in their own right ... free citizens in the Republic of Dave, the borders of which coincide with the square footage (including the fenced back yard) of my current home in Nevada.

As far as being an Aspie Nomad ... I grew up as a military service brat. My father was a doctor in the U.S. Armed Forces and I spent most of my childhood in Ghana, Thailand, and El Salvador. Since I knew there were American schools overseas (having spent most of my childhood in private American schools and not DoDD schools i.e. U.S. military base schools), I knew what to look for and that's how I found the ISS which led to my first overseas job.

I was in Saudi Arabia from '91 through '98 and I then went to another ISS job fair. I was hoping for Europe but EVERYONE hopes for Europe. It's a tough market to get into. Having already worked in Saudi Arabia for 7 years, I was typecast as someone who liked working in the Middle East ... so my possibilities were limited to Alexandria in Egypt, Istanbul, and Beirut.

Beirut had just ended a 17 year long three way civil war between the Muslims, Christians, and Druze and ACS Beirut (American Community School) was looking to hire some Americans to put some American curriculum back in the school which had apparently continued to operate throughout the length of the civil war albeit with a largely Lebanese faculty.

I wound up working for ACS Beirut but left after one year. The last day of the 1998-1999 school year ended with an Israeli air attack. Israeli bombers flew in low over the Mediterranean Sea. The force of their passage shook the faculty apartment I was in. Having lived in Saudi Arabia during the First Gulf War, I knew better than to stare out the windows (which could have exploded into shrapnel), so I rolled out of bed, grabbed my evacuation kit, and ducked under a heavy desk in the corner of my living room.

In the distance I could hear explosions. I could hear the wail of civil defense sirens. From my position beneath the desk, I could look over the window sill and see tracer fire from Syrian anti-aircraft gun crews rising into the night sky.

It was a long night.

Every time I thought that it might be safe to come out, another wave of bombers would streak overhead and the entire building would shake from the speed of their passage.

In the morning, I found that the airport had been closed ... but as soon as it reopened, I was on a flight back to the states ... and I haven't left the country since.

I would love to hear more about your experience in Saudi Arabia - although it's not a place I can go to, for reasons other than the regional instability which affects everyone.

It's really hard to get around Saudi Arabia without a car ... so I bought a Jeep Cherokee. After all, I worked for Aramco which produced all of the oil that was sold in export. Since we produced the oil, we also had refineries for in-country use ... so gasoline prices at the time were the equivalent of 7 cents per gallon.

One of the things I liked to do was to host new teachers and show them around the area. I'd take them to our company's commissary (supermarket) which was by the post office and within walking distance of a bank. I'd also take them into the neighboring Saudi city of Al-Khobar pronounced Al-Ho-bar ... though most Americans insisted upon mispronouncing it ... calling it Coal-bar ... culturally ignorant ninnies that they were. In addition to treating them to dinner at my favorite Thai restaurant, taking them to the local mall, and introducing them to the gold suq where the street was lined with jewelry stores.

Driving into town was always interesting. Although the Saudis understood the concept of traffic lights i.e. red means stop and green means go ... they didn't really grasp the concept of a 4 way stop.

I learned during my first trip into town with another expat, that there was an unwritten traffic rule ... whoever has the bigger vehicle and more momentum has the right of way. The teacher I was with on that first trip drove a Bronco. He only yielded to buses and trucks.

Since I drove a Jeep Cherokee, I only yielded to Broncos, buses, and trucks.

So ... coming to a 4 way stop, I'd slow down to gauge the opposition and if there were no vehicles larger than mine, I'd accelerate, blaring my horn and driving hell for leather for the intersection while lesser vehicles braked or pulled aside.

The greenhorns, fresh from the states would always scream at me to stop ... but no experienced driver ever stopped because if you stopped you had no momentum and you'd have the devil of a time making it through the intersection.

I lived in Saudi Arabia for 7 years ... 6 in Dhahran and 1 in Ras Tanura and I never had a single accident.

Here's a picture of me "back in the day." My students and I were dressed in Arabic fashion because it was Arab Culture Week and we had spent the week learning about the Arab culture in Social Studies. This cultural mini-unit always ended with a catered Arabic lunch that we'd enjoy sitting inside a Bedouin tent.

David.Arab.jpg

I've given up the life of a world traveler because now that I'm back in the states, I have cats.
Ugh. I really, really, really, really want a dog. Seriously - every dog I see, I want. I live alone, have a non-existent social life and am pathetically unfit, so everyone tries to persuade me to just get a dog already. Except I can't stop moving around, and I know that if I get a dog now, I'll very likely have to give them up for adoption again way sooner than later, and it's not really responsible to go into it with that knowledge. Pets develop bonds once they've been with you for long enough, and it's traumatic for them when you just disappear.

I was hoping for Europe but EVERYONE hopes for Europe. It's a tough market to get into.
Haha, yes. I'm not a teacher, but my long-term goal nowadays is basically to move to Europe. Although in the tech industry it's more like all the Europeans want to move to the US instead, and the occasional weird American who values something else strongly beyond the big dollar. I have a coworker friend, we both plan to move to Europe. I watched her apply for jobs for an entire year. Finally she received two offers (it took for EVER, omfg) and then rejected them because, among other things, she couldn't let go of her cushy silicon valley salary. I'm not too sure what she's up to now.

Do you miss being a nomad? Do you actually feel settled and comfortable now?

Pets develop bonds once they've been with you for long enough, and it's traumatic for them when you just disappear.

I agree ... and this is why I'm stuck stateside, not that I'm complaining because my life here is still quite amazing.

Do you miss being a nomad? Do you actually feel settled and comfortable now?

Do I miss being a nomad? I don't know. The longest I've ever stayed with one employer is 7 years. The longest I've ever stayed in the same HOME has been 5 years.

I just moved to a new home and a new school. I'm in my 8th year of employment as a Culinary Arts teacher (having previously been elementary for 17 years) and the interest is still holding strong though as with any job, there are always ups and wons.

The nice thing about NOT being an expat any more is that I have all of my stuff with me.

Aramco in Saudi Arabia paid me buckets of money ... and they shipped all of my belongings to Saudi Arabia (and back to the states after I resigned) ... but as a teacher, most international schools don't even give their faculty a shipping allowance ... so you arrive in country with your international baggage allowance of 2 suitcases and 1 carry-on. If you want to bring anything else with you, you're usually more than welcome to do provided that you pay for it.

When I lived in Saudi Arabia, I had personal possessions stashed with friends and relatives in 3 different states. Now that I'm back in the states, all of my possessions are with me.

I don't know about you, but I much prefer owning my own furniture instead of having company issued furniture, rental furniture, or living in a furnished apartment.

My coffee table is the converted window frame of a majaraja's palace. The wrought iron screen with its wooden teak frame was flipped onto its side and some enterprising soul added 4 legs and voila ... it became a coffee table which found its way to a shop in Al-Khobar, Saudi Arabia, called Desert Designs. There were two such tables in the shop. I bought one and my friend bought the other.

I have an intricately hand carved camp chair from Syria ... a 19th century British Imperial style end table with a green marble top that I found at a souq in Cairo ... Persian and Tabriz carpets from Iran that I bought in Bahhrain ... and all sorts of other treasures.

My home is quite eclectic. Pictured below is the entry way to my home. The 19th century screen is hand carved elm that I found at an antique store in Utah. My Dad picked up the carpet from Afghanistan during the 80's.

Entry way to House.jpg

So here we are a bit further into my home. Pictured right on the wall is a Mogul Dynasty era shield. The Moguls were the dynasty that ruled India after the Mongol invasion. This piece probably belongs in a museum but I picked it up in Saudi Arabia from a Saudi historian turned shop keeper. The copper pot filled with artificial flowers is hand beaten copper from Medina in Saudi Arabia. The side table it's sitting on is circa 1910 from Pennsylvania.

Dining Area.2.jpg

I have a coworker friend, we both plan to move to Europe. I watched her apply for jobs for an entire year. Finally she received two offers (it took for EVER, omfg) and then rejected them because, among other things, she couldn't let go of her cushy silicon valley salary. I'm not too sure what she's up to now.

Although I have traveled extensively throughout Europe, I have never worked there but I know people who have. Europe can be an expensive place to live and work. If your coworker is looking for big bucks, a nice home or apartment, and the opportunity to travel, she's going to be disappointed. Unless she really lucks out, she'll have to settle for the latter two choices ... a reasonably comfortable home and the opportunity to travel.

It all boils down to a question regarding the quality of life.

Does she want to stay in the Silicone Valley for the rest of her career? If so, that's her choice. If she aspires to something more ... say having breakfast in Zurich and dinner in Berlin then another path awaits.

The expat life is admittedly not for everyone. Once people get past the idea that they're "on vacation," some will get homesick. They miss their Starbucks, their favorite name brand groceries, and their favorite TV shows.

I once knew a teacher in Saudi Arabia who took his homesick wife to Austria for Christmas. He flew his in-laws out and they had a winter skiing holiday ... but in the end, she simply couldn't adjust to life in the Middle East and he had to return to Kansas.

New Threads

Top Bottom