• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Guitar anyone

Rayner

I'm not sure I've mentioned it on the forum much if at all but I over the past 18 months or so I've started to learn how to play the guitar again. I took lessons when I was in the 3rd grade for a year. I was wondering if anyone plays guitar as a hobby or any other instrument for that matter. Tell me about it.

No.

(An excellent contribution to the thread).

No, I'm not just going to leave it at that. I've never played the guitar and have always been pretty useless at musical instruments, but I have a lot of respect for you for learning. If anyone does want to learn it's easier than ever these days with training systems like the Guitar Hero range that are made into a type of game, but Rocksmith is much better for anyone serious because I understand it teaches people from all levels from total beginner to expert using a real guitar.

See a demo and intro of Rocksmith:

(It's over 5 years old, but is still very impressive.)

Last edited:
that's pretty cool. I like how it trains you to not look down at the guitar as your playing.

Anyway, I was kind of taken aback by how much stuff is out to help beginners learn. For me learning the notion is probably the hardest part besides technique. It's been a decade since first learned not that I was that great at then, you know.

I've been playing the guitar off and on since I've been 12. Its a very good way to relax and also, once you get good at it an excellent way to bond with others. Some of my greatest memories were playing music with friends. I hope you get to that point some day!

Thank you. Funny enough, what w made me decide to play or at least to learn to play guitar again was so that I could play the guitar with my girlfriend. She is very musically talented has been playing guitar since she was 5. Shortly after our first date where she mentioned that if I was interested in she could teach me. I went out bought a guitar that I've been playing ever since.

What kind of guitar do play?

I've been playing the guitar off and on since I've been 12. Its a very good way to relax and also, once you get good at it an excellent way to bond with others. Some of my greatest memories were playing music with friends. I hope you get to that point someday!

Heck yeah!!! I love instruments. I can play any and all clarinet (alto, contra-alto, soprano, etc) but my favorite is bass clarinet or contra bass clarinet. I can also play tenor saxophone.
I'm working on improving ocarina the most currently.
I own an accordion, an electric guitar, a flute, and ukelele. But, I cannot play any of these (yet). After Ocarina I want to do ukelele, then electric guitar, flute, and ukelele.
I do not own a bass clarinet but a local community band lets me borrow one.

I love music, but I can't play a musical instrument :( At school, I had music lessons, but I found it hard to keep up, and my parents wouldn't let me practise in the house. Also, the teacher was really awful, and had taken a particular dislike to me. I wasn't encouraged to learn, but discouraged.

As an adult, I decided to learn the guitar and had lessons for about a year. I didn't get very far with them. I had a teacher who said that there were 3 kinds of students, those with natural talent who pick it up immediately, those who can learn, but need more time, and those who have no natural talent who never become really good, but can learn as a hobby. I asked him which category I came into, but he didn't want to answer me, and I took that to mean that I was the third category. I gave it up eventually, I wasn't getting anywhere with it, and I find that if I don't show much obvious progress quickly, then I lose motivation. I don't have such good coordination in my fingers, it's very hard to use both hands independently and to read music and play at the same time. But the final straw was that the eveing school I went to wanted me to play a piece in front of an audience at an end of year show, and was too anxious and lost it and missed two bars or so, so I decided that I wasn't really going anywhere with it, and gave it up.

A frustrating, determined, "gorilla-grip", fingers not long enough, wondering whether to string it for left handed play, prefering tabs to chords kind of attempt at learning to play the acoustic guitar.

Not had lessons (professional)
Son and you tube trying to teach.

I love the noise it makes.

My son just 'gets it'
He picks up the guitar and follows the chords, tabs and then goes off somewhere else, still playing and making up bits and pieces (I'm sure there's a technical term for that) as he goes along.

Never had music lessons,a He just 'sees it' and let's his soul soar.

Do you do that @Rayner?

Bougth a left handed acoustic 20 years ago.
String too thick, cpuldnt dombarre chords
So buy an electric guitat first.

Taught myself bumcould omly get to a certain level.
It is was easier to write songs to try to fit in new chords rather than learning any 'real' songs.
It meant I could strum how I wanted,it was never 'wrong'

Started with elvis - his latest flame for the chord pattern, just the start then did my own song from there.
Forgotten most of them. Remember in part
But one joke song about suicide whose inspiration was the diving bell and the butterfly I still remember and I still like it.

Try not giving a sh## and making stuff up if you're learning.

Have fun.

I have a 12 string acoustic and an electric guitar but don't play either of them very well. My natural instruments of choice are electronic keyboards and synthesizers and I have many of them at home just like the more famous Vangelis.

Have tried but I am so dyspraxic! Can't progress easily and can't sing and play at same time. My teacher seemed frustrated yet was annoyed when I stopped . Hmm. I love the sound my guitar can make. Hope you make good progress.

Kind of sometimes, I will play a chord or a set of chords then I will try to play them down further on the neck to see what it sounds like. But No, not really I don't really see it like your son does. For me I tend to think it over what I want to play before I actually start playing.

A frustrating, determined, "gorilla-grip", fingers not long enough, wondering whether to string it for left handed play, prefering tabs to chords kind of attempt at learning to play the acoustic guitar.

Not had lessons (professional)
Son and you tube trying to teach.

I love the noise it makes.

My son just 'gets it'
He picks up the guitar and follows the chords, tabs and then goes off somewhere else, still playing and making up bits and pieces (I'm sure there's a technical term for that) as he goes along.

Never had music lessons,a He just 'sees it' and let's his soul soar.

Do you do that @Rayner?

New Threads

Top Bottom