• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Greetings

Muninn

Hi,

My real name is Marianne and I'm 34. Outwardly, I have a successful career and seem sociable and stable, but I've just taught myself how to get through dealing with people (it all feels like a rather exhausting act). I've always had trouble with social interaction, making friends, relationships, etc. I always had the impression that it was my fault and that I just wasn't trying hard enough (or that was the impression others gave me?) After a number of years of being treated for anxiety and still not feeling like I have a handle on things, I stumbled across one of the online Asperger's quizzes and took it just to see (like taking a magazine quiz...you know?). I'll admit that prior, I never really thought much about it...seemed like something people just called themselves as an excuse to be, well, jerks. I was taken off guard when the quiz said I was likely an aspie. That can't be right! Since then, I've been doing research and finding that....actually, it very well could be right. A lot of the little quirky parts of my personality that I never thought about (except when I noticed that I didn't share the quirks with anyone else), the childhood meltdowns, the disturbing adulthood shutdowns...so many other little subtle aspects that suddenly come together when I read about others' experiences. I'd like to pursue this further (officially), but in the meantime, I thought it would be nice to try to connect with other people who would understand what it is like to always feel like they're living a world apart from everyone around them.

Cheers, Marianne

Welcome Muninn,

I'm in my late 30's and I too didn't knew since recently. The more I read the more everything made sense. There are so many little details we don't even look at, thinking everybody else must be the same way. Comparing experiences with fellow Aspies has really open my eyes so much.

Hope you like it here, it's a great place.

Thanks so much, RubenX! I'm looking forward to learning about everyone's experiences :) This is all pretty new to me.

Well welcome here. I hope that you find us all inviting, warmish, and supportive. Yup you are not alone in how a lot of adults from that age range of 20's+ have gotten their official diagnosis by starting off in the same boat you are in. I am 30yrs old, and was basically told by my supervisor at an internship in my field of study (social work) and from there an official diagnosis. So you are certainly not alone we would love you to come and share this community with us. :)

New Threads

Top Bottom