• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Greetings

Ronanne

HI :) .

Someone recently brought to my attention that I might be on the spectrum, and that insight has turned my world upside down.

I've started down the path to an official diagnosis, but (I apologize) I've felt a lot of despair in the week after that conversation. When I learned I was an INTJ, I thought I had some unusual defecits that could be overcome if I was diligent and careful. The possibility of being on the spectrum, from what I understand now, suggests these defecits will be far more difficult to overcome. I'm also older (52), which I think complicates everything.

Ugh.

I'm here to learn, and I'm looking forward to getting to know others in this forum.

Thanks for reading.

Welcome.

I'm self diagnosed at 54, for myself it is a significant relief to the life long persuit of "why don't I fit in". I celebrate my AS, more and more good things are showing up for me as I understand and accept that "this is as good as it gets". Sure I can improve upon my coping skills, now I know how valuable they are.

Someone recently brought to my attention that I might be on the spectrum, and that insight has turned my world upside down.

I've started down the path to an official diagnosis, but (I apologize) I've felt a lot of despair in the week after that conversation. When I learned I was an INTJ, I thought I had some unusual defecits that could be overcome if I was diligent and careful. The possibility of being on the spectrum, from what I understand now, suggests these defecits will be far more difficult to overcome. I'm also older (52), which I think complicates everything.

Ugh.

I'm here to learn, and I'm looking forward to getting to know others in this forum.

Thanks for reading.
Welcome I was diagnosed in my mid to late forties but when you're experiencing what I experience it was unexpected
not as shocking
But we both come from a generation where autism was never mentioned
Apart from the last 20 years and then just vaccines or savants which Iam not

upload_2017-9-1_10-52-59.png

Ugh.

Thanks for reading.

Hi Ronanne. Welcome to AF!!!

I am a self-diagnosed @ 66. I already knew what a lot of my problems, including PTSD, were before I began to suspect that I might have Asperger's. I have been working at self-improvement most of my life, so I had tackled some of my problems due to Aspie traits before I knew where they came from. Two different guys told me they thought I was Aspie, before I knew much about it. I did not pay attention to what they said because of misperceptions about Aspergers".

I have not been dealing with my Aspie traits as long as others on this site, with the understanding that I was an Aspie. I have nevertheless been working very hard on learning to deal with Aspie consequences and problems for a long time.

I think it is impossible for Aspies and Auties to completely fit our pointy edges into round NT holes. I think it is probably harder when we find out about being on the Autism Spectrum later in life. I do think we can still do a lot to minimize our Aspie/NT friction.

We just have to face it, we are weird, according to NT standards. That weirdness brings us both good and bad. Our weirdness does the same for any NTs who hang out with us.

Welcome! Read, share, and you'll be surprised at how much you'll learn. You did the hard part, writing and sharing your feelings. Stay on course and know it's okay being different and what a boring world this life would be if we were all the same.

Welcome. Diagnosed by psychologist in 2013 when I was 10.

Everyone is welcome here. Good luck

New Threads

Top Bottom