• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Greetings!

Quinny

Hello everyone,

I'm a 25-year-old female living in rural Pennsylvania, and I just received my official diagnosis of Asperger's Syndrome/Autism Spectrum Disorder yesterday. My goal on this site is to make connections, compare experiences, and learn about resources. Growing up in a small town (graduating class of 36) meant that there were basically no resources for diagnosis when I was a child. Although I've also had diagnoses of GAD and OCD, I didn't consider that I was on the spectrum until adulthood. A few years ago, I began working with our local child protective services agency. My role in the department meant that I would work directly with a variety of children on the spectrum. It was at that time that I began doing a lot of research on Autism and I started to realize that I identified with a lot of the criteria and characteristics. Nearly two years later, I finally worked up the nerve to speak with my therapist about my suspicions. At first, I thought a diagnosis would be scary, but actually I'm relieved because I can finally start to make sense of things.

In addition to my recent ASD diagnosis, I am also struggling with postpartum depression, as I have a six-month-old son. Luckily, I have a wonderful family and support system and I'm doing my best to navigate through all of these things. My wonderful therapist has a great perspective, and she believes that being "neurodiverse" can really be a gift, as long as the negative aspects are being controlled with healthy coping mechanisms.

I can't wait to learn more about my diagnosis, and talk to all of you! I'm always open to give and receive support, so please comment!

-Quinny

Hello everyone,

I'm a 25-year-old female living in rural Pennsylvania, and I just received my official diagnosis of Asperger's Syndrome/Autism Spectrum Disorder yesterday. My goal on this site is to make connections, compare experiences, and learn about resources. Growing up in a small town (graduating class of 36) meant that there were basically no resources for diagnosis when I was a child. Although I've also had diagnoses of GAD and OCD, I didn't consider that I was on the spectrum until adulthood. A few years ago, I began working with our local child protective services agency. My role in the department meant that I would work directly with a variety of children on the spectrum. It was at that time that I began doing a lot of research on Autism and I started to realize that I identified with a lot of the criteria and characteristics. Nearly two years later, I finally worked up the nerve to speak with my therapist about my suspicions. At first, I thought a diagnosis would be scary, but actually I'm relieved because I can finally start to make sense of things.

In addition to my recent ASD diagnosis, I am also struggling with postpartum depression, as I have a six-month-old son. Luckily, I have a wonderful family and support system and I'm doing my best to navigate through all of these things. My wonderful therapist has a great perspective, and she believes that being "neurodiverse" can really be a gift, as long as the negative aspects are being controlled with healthy coping mechanisms.

I can't wait to learn more about my diagnosis, and talk to all of you! I'm always open to give and receive support, so please comment!

-Quinny
Hello quinny.....

upload_2017-5-11_10-52-3.png

Hiya Quinny, seems as if you have a rare therapist, which makes you pretty lucky:D Welcome to Aspie Central.

Welcome, Quinny.

This should be the message inside of a box of ASD fortune cookues, "My wonderful therapist has a great perspective, and she believes that being "neurodiverse" can really be a gift, as long as the negative aspects are being controlled with healthy coping mechanisms."

or just, "being "neurodiverse" can really be a gift, as long as the negative aspects are being controlled with healthy coping mechanisms."

If i new how to begin new thread, this would also make great topic: How do you employ control healthy coping mechanisms to leverage being "neurodiverse" as a gift?

or just, "being "neurodiverse" can really be a gift, as long as the negative aspects are being controlled with healthy coping mechanisms."

If i new how to begin new thread, this would also make great topic: How do you employ control healthy coping mechanisms to leverage being "neurodiverse" as a gift?

@Mia I am certainly blessed with a wonderful therapist! I know how hard they are to find.

@janie I think my current therapist has a really unique view, and she has a son diagnosed with ASD. Certainly different than all of the the other therapists I've seen in my life. I'm actually looking forward to my sessions with her, and finding out her ideas about coping mechanisms and using my "gift".

You were dx'd YESTERDAY
You sing HOPE today
No waiting for TOMORROW
Your resilience rises like a Phoenix
from the flames,
flickering,
neon
gift wrap.

And hello to everyone else who stopped by to check in on my post! It's awesome how quickly I'm finding supportive people on here :)

New Threads

Top Bottom