• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Good day

purplewho

Hi all :wavespin:,

I hope no one minds me posting, it is a big leap for me to do so. Normally on the internet, as in RL I observe what people are doing and only after I am confident that I won't make too many faux pas do I join in. (Now I am concerned with what the plural of faux pas is...:sticky_question:)

I am a 31 year old mother of a 9 year old boy-child with ASD :love:. I truly believe it is genetic in his case, but until very recently I assumed it was on his father's side! I have been seeing a therapist and it occurs to me more and more that I just CAN'T do the normal social things. It has never bothered me that much before (as I arrogantly assumed everyone else was at fault - I guess it was a case of self-preservation) but now I am more aware of it I am so self-conscious for even the most minor interactions. I suppose it did bother me enough to study humans and their interactions and try and improve things for myself, but it never occurred to me that actually, I might NOT just be able to learn it :{.

I am not sure if I fit the criteria for Aspergers, and there's lots of things about my life that are so automatically censored that I don't tell my therapist either so he's not getting a very complete picture of how I live. I am managing to hold down a job but I do feel like I am treading a fine line, I had my first "meltdown" :stomp: at work last week due to an overload of social interactions going wrong and then a misunderstanding with a colleague. I do not want to carry on like this and I need to know myself enough to prevent these things from occurring.

Anyway, sorry for the long post, I hope to contribute to this community.

Welcome to AC! We're pretty friendly bunch so you just join in whenever you are ready. Here we tend to be pretty understanding of issues with social interactions. So jump in when you are a comfy. :) Nice to meet you.

New Threads

Top Bottom