• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Going to the loo during lessons.

I also have to question whether opinions would have been different if the OP had stated that they were on the autistic spectrum rather than having a sister on the spectrum? I know it's difficult, but we have try to stop seeing NTs as almost like a different species.
I agree. Personally, I think that she just wanted to ask a question to ask for opinions and advice, in response to a mother being angry with her.

Being a teacher who deals with small children, I can see both sides of the argument: Yes, children, especially older ones, sometimes lie and ask to go to the toilet as an excuse to get out of the lesson, to go and use their phones. Yes, small children copy each other and if one goes to the toilet, then others who don't really need to go will follow, and it can be disruptive, as a teacher I see all of these things happening. But I also remember what it was like needing to go to the toilet when the teacher won't let me, how I coudn't concentrate and I waited what seemed like an eternity for the bell to go for break, how I needed to go during break, but there were other noisy kids in there and I didn't want to go when they were there and so I missed the opportunity and got really desperate during the lesson, and I know that it can cause both psychological problems and medical issues. If you've go to go, you've got to go! Teachers need to keep in mind all these things when managing the class and find a solution or compromise.

That would be making a judgement based on an assumption without any actual evidence, yes this post isn't specifically related to autism, but neither are many posts in the "off topic" section. Anyone you don't know in real life on the Internet may not be totally genuine, perhaps even a few of us here are pretending to be auties/aspies, while secretly having a good laugh at us behind our backs? The vast majority of people will be genuine however and in online communities such as this we have to take people on face value unless it becomes obvious later that something is amiss, otherwise we wouldn't be-able to take hardly anyone seriously, especially new members.

I also have to question whether opinions would have been different if the OP had stated that they were on the autistic spectrum rather than having a sister on the spectrum? I know it's difficult, but we have try to stop seeing NTs as almost like a different species if we expect them to treat us with respect too.
No offence at all to you pjcnet, but the op comes on, makes literally one short statement considered by many other posters to be barbaric, with no other info or questions. Apparently not looking for advice.

That would be making a judgement based on an assumption without any actual evidence, yes this post isn't specifically related to autism, but neither are many posts in the "off topic" section. Anyone you don't know in real life on the Internet may not be totally genuine, perhaps even a few of us here are pretending to be auties/aspies, while secretly having a good laugh at us behind our backs? The vast majority of people will be genuine however and in online communities such as this we have to take people on face value unless it becomes obvious later that something is amiss, otherwise we wouldn't be-able to take hardly anyone seriously, especially new members.

I also have to question whether opinions would have been different if the OP had stated that they were on the autistic spectrum rather than having a sister on the spectrum? I know it's difficult, but we have try to stop seeing NTs as almost like a different species if we expect them to treat us with respect too.
Also, I think it ridiculous to assume that I prejudice against NTs. You don't know me. My wife is NT. My son is NT. As you know, most people honestly seeking advice tend to write a bit more, sometimes pages, not one inflammatory sentence. Think of all the poor little kids ridiculed for wetting themselves because of domination. To use the restroom is a basic human right, like eating or drinking.

Last edited:
No offence at all to you pjcnet, but the op comes on, makes literally one short statement considered by many other posters to be barbaric, with no other info or questions. Apparently not looking for advice.
I consider it a serious question because certainly when I was at school a lot of teachers were very strict about children going to the toilet during lessons despite most people considering it inhumane. This is because of the reasons that @Progster stated above and she can see both sides. In my opinion there should be a compromise where children are allowed to go if they absolutely have to, but it should still be discouraged as much as possible to reduce the amount of children using it as an excuse to get out of class. Also one thing I didn't consider that @Progster mentioned was the use of mobile phones, this is something that wasn't around in my day, but in today's schools most children own them and I agree that some children will take advantage and use going to the toilet as an excuse to use them.

Last edited:
I understand these arguments, even though I don't think most year 3 kids don't have cells in their pockets (you'd be surprised though). A teacher should also have the ability to tell when a kid is fibbing; I can; I am a teacher of sorts as well.

I agree with Joel that this post seems off...and what does it have to do with autism?

Cell phones? School sucks.

Look, when I was in 7th grade, I had to pee real bad but they locked the bathrooms due to vandalism or something. I was shy and didn't want to ask my teach to unlock it. It was my urine, not hers. Held it through home room, crossing and uncrossing my legs. At lunch, I dashed to the gym, which had an unlocked bathroom. Was pulling my pants down in the stall...didn't make it!

Pissed all over myself. Everyone was mean.

To the lady that posted this: do you enjoy torturing small children? Why did you come here to tell us about it?

My teachers used to have this rule, I always used to go at break but you could guarantee that I'd need a wee during lessons, some teachers were more forgiving than others of my complaint, except when the main teachers were off and they had substitutes in! One day Mr Bradley the Maths bloke was off, and they had a sub in to teach Maths, I needed to "go" during lesson, teacher said no, so sadly I ended up having an "accident" and had to leave the lesson anyway.

Most unpleasant for me and the support teachers in the "Unit", especially when the French teacher walked in the Kitchen and I was half dressed, daft thing was, I kind of had a thing for Mrs Townsend anyway, she kind of had a Gomez/Morticia Addams effect on me when she spoke French lol.

New Threads

Top Bottom