• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Going through many phases

Aspie_With_Attitude

V.I.P Member

I had just last week published this video content explaining why we go through phases and even explained my two key phases with are the things that don't do anymore which is model railroading (1995-2001) and trying to be a famous rapper (2003-2016). Nowadays I am just an autistic YouTube content creator.

What are the phases that you previously had been through?

So,...you're asking a bunch of autistics what phases or special interests they have had over the years? I am 56 years old,...how much time do I have to write all this down and how much time do you have to read it?:eek::D

Just a small sample:
1. When I was in middle school and high school,...boxing, weightlifting, football, track and field events. Basically, anything athletic that made me stronger and faster than the other kids. A big self-esteem booster and the other kids didn't dare tease me. I didn't have to fight,...the other kids never challenged.
2. When I bought my own house in my 20's, I really got into my plant collections and aquariums. It all grew to the point where, at my second house, I put in a 300 gallon wall aquarium in the living room. The plant collections seemed to change with location, interest, and physical space.
3. When I was in my 30's, I bought a 1989 Mustang, for the specific purpose of making it a "project car",...basically, making it as fast and powerful as I could on my budget. I learned how to build an engine, transmission, how to computer program, how to weld, and finally how to drive,...doing SCCA track events.
4. In my 30's and 40's, I got back into my weightlifting, and found some passion with competitive powerlifting. Eventually, competing at the national level, breaking and rebreaking some 11 US national records in 2 different weight classes.
5. In my 40's, I bought my 3rd house,...no room for the aquarium and no extra room for or money to work on the race car,...both had to go. Focused upon my plant collections, and for the past 10 years, or so, primarily on orchids from all over the world. In fact, the summer weather finally hit us here, so the orchids will go outside for the summer,...today's project.

Like to think that we go through self-discovery. Some of these mold us and make us who we are, our characteristics or lack of.

Like to think that we go through self-discovery. Some of these mold us and make us who we are, our characteristics or lack of.

It certainly did with my life, early on with athletics,...well,...even into my adult years,...there is something primal about being physically intimidating,...even if you're a nice person. You're not going to be someone's "doormat". I think a lot of people that went this route was out of some degree of insecurity, but then getting the constant positive reinforcement from others,...you had to be part of that crowd to really understand the comradery of having workout partners and coaches, the bullies giving you distance, the girls giving you attention. I had very high self esteem,...somewhat foolish at times,...but never-the-less I wasn't hesitant to try anything or to reach some goal of mine. The primal factor,...you can be a "super genius" with authority, but when squared off against someone you know can ruin your day,...and don't want to challenge,...you tend to hold your tongue and let them have their way. I think I accomplished some things professionally because of this factor,...people just getting out of my way. I knew the process, hard work, commitment, focus,...and time.

It's this key factor,...in my mind,...that was most important in shaping who I am now. After the age of 18, my parents pretty much let me go,...no support,...and I didn't know I was autistic,...but that focus and that confidence allowed me to push through some barriers that, perhaps, another person would have simply given up or never pursue.

Every month seems like a phase, I hope I will be able to look back at me depression as a phase.

New Threads

Top Bottom