• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

getting my life in order,the challenges of dealing with living on my own and dealing with traumatic events

Turbocks

So I am not sure if anybody else can relate to the challenges I am dealing with right now which I am trying to overcome both with the help of my highly supportive mom but also from a type of service in my country known as "boendestöd" where I can get help with planning out things like routines and in general the structure of my daily life because quite honestly it's kind of a struggle to manage it on my own and I am often quite lonely even as an introvert myself and I barely even have any friends at all and besides my mother the only other few experiences of love I have truly experienced was from a pet rabbit I had for 8 years as a child and then this year when for a brief time I cared for the only friend and the one thing that mattered to me more than anything else because he was like my baby.

There is also the fact I am currently dealing with the effects of trauma such as losing my dearly beloved pet rabbit who ever only lived to be 6-7 months of age before he died very suddenly without warning which shook me to the core and broke my heart because he shoved me so much love usually by licking me as a thanks for me always taking such good care of him and I have still yet to recover from this event ever since he died in early September this year and the effects it has had on my wellbeing have been nothing short of profound and this does include that it worsened already existing issues such as sleep problems but it also caused me to develop even bigger problems with overeating and as result I started to rapidly gain weight.

pet.jpg

Also I am suspecting I might be developing a depression as now very often I don't even feel like getting out of bed a lot of times and I noticed that I am neglecting things like self care and of course the sleep issues only make things worse besides that I noticed I eat more unhealthy foods than usual often at random times during the day sometimes even late at night to try and eat away the pain and most days I tend to sit in front of my computer either browsing the web, doing something else like playing retro games on emulators or using my virtual machines to do tasks like analysing malware or occasionally trying out some linux distro I have never used before like gentoo linux or archbang.

I am also briefly going to mention I am currently seeking help dealing with the trauma from years of verbally and emotionally abusive behaviour from my father who I recently cut ties with because I realised he was becoming far too detrimental to my mental health and the fact he was trying to control my life and my decisions while visiting me and often raining down critical remarks on every possible thing even the most insignificant things he could see or find while trying to say he was "helping" me such as not having cleaned the dishes or cleaned the bathroom and to tell me I was not going to be able to live on my own and that I would be evicted worse still he even blatantly disregarded the fact I was and still am dealing with the loss of my pet telling me things "it's just a rabbit" or " this ends now!" saying that I should basically just get over it which was the breaking point for me and the next day I cut ties with him .

In general there is a lot of darkness , anger and deeply held grudges I need to deal with because it has just piled up over the years and I typically rarely if ever forget any event where I was mistreated and the people that caused it even if it was years ago such as being yelled or screamed at for dumb nonsensical things or witnessing temper tantrums from a parent such as the time where he became so angry he broke a remote control to a dvd/vhs player or getting blamed and yelled at for a laptop screen hinge breaking that I had no control over.

Venting has become an ever common occurence now that I live on my own because there is so much that needs to be let out and I do need to talk with somebody.

I do wish I had a boyfriend preferably one with similar interests to mine possibly on the spectrum as well who could visit me and show me the kind of love and affection that my rabbit once did because it truly did fill some of that void in my heart while he was alive and after he died it was like an old wound was ripped open again that has never healed since.

Last edited:
So many struggles you are dealing with - and there is no greater sadness than losing a pet that you cared for (for me, anyway). This can make everything look bleak and sad and loss of an animal you loved is terrible.

I’m sorry that you are dealing with all these things at once and I hope that you are able to lean on the resources that you have. It sounds like you are somewhat at the beginning of a process of untangling some very old things that hurt you. I would encourage you to remember that sometimes beginning to tackle these things is the hardest part. Getting started dealing with past trauma, especially when you are already feeling so low, is so difficult. But the goal of untangling your past is to resolve some of the hurt and feel better at the other end of this process. Keep moving forward and you will not be stuck in the sad place forever. I wish you courage and fortitude.

Hi Turbocks, welcome to the forums. Your father sounds just like mine. Sometimes I wonder if he's still alive, but not enough to actually make a phone call and find out.

Hi Turbocks, welcome to the forums. Your father sounds just like mine. Sometimes I wonder if he's still alive, but not enough to actually make a phone call and find out.

Good thing to know I am not alone. I have been on the forums since some time during high school although I don't post nearly as often as I used to do.

Pet love is so beautiful. They have unconditional love. You might consider another pet. Because there are pets who need our love and support. I was blessed to have two rescue cats, who left me due to divorce and old age. I still miss them dearly, and l know that nothing will replace them. So maybe if it hurts too much to get another rabbit; how about a mouse or a cat? I am partial to those cute black and white cats and gray cats, and you too may find love in your heart for another pet.

Beautiful picture of your rabbit. Looks very peaceful and chill. I am sure your rabbit's spirit is still with you, and wouldn't want you to stop living life. Your rabbit would only wish love and happiness for you.

If you feel depressed, you may need to ask yourself if you need a medical professional to evaluate and decide if therapy or meds may help you as a temporary intervention until you become stronger. It's okay to admit you need help.

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom