• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Gardening and yard stuff

Thread about indoor and outdoor gardening, and I also wanted to include general happenings on the property. Those with homesteads especially probably have a lot to talk about. Projects - Animals - whatever. Or even plants on the window sill.
Even if your yard's a dump, can I see please? ;)

my back garden ( yard in the UK is a flat cement covered or brick covered Paved area, also a measurement , so we always refer to it as the garden front or back , from what I know of etymology of the American term is from old Irish and English term is from Middle English )Looks like a very small jungle, it’s too hot to stand up to take a photograph, Summer is back :)
Have a huge privet hedge at the front of the house and the conifer hedge on the other side ,some of my mothers containers but the flowers are not in season at the moment. i’ll be forced to trim some of the privet hedge and some of the conifer hedge when it’s cooler .There was the big butterfly count in the UK ,didn’t manage to do it ,loads of painted lady butterflies came from Norway, there is footage of it on the BBC website and YouTube.

Our yards are huge and we own hundreds of acres, most of it timberland. I like to grow plants for food including all kinds of herbs, and flowers for the insects and hummingbirds. We don't do anything with the timberland and have no intention of ever cutting trees although it could generate a lot of money. The woods belong to nature, the pastures belong to our livestock for grazing, and the yards belong to me for gardening.

The hummingbirds are migrating to Central America now so I fill up their feeders every day with sugar water to help them on their way. They fly across the Gulf of Mexico!

Streetwise mentioned privet hedge. It is considered a scourge here because it is so invasive that it shades out and competes with our native plants. I pull it up by the roots in our yards, not that my effort makes much difference. It still comes up everywhere. I like to landscape with native plants that require little or no care such as oak leaf hydrangea and a beautiful shrub called chokeberry with stalks and limbs the color of rhubarb and berries that the birds love.

I don't have a yard but I have a small patio area and any plants I have to keep up high enough that my 90 pound dog doesn't pee on them.
20190615_152301.jpg
20190620_163115.jpg
DSCN3586.JPG
DSCN3576 (3).JPG

Also have a little fairy garden. And I enjoy taking pictures from different angles of the plants and flowers - as in last picture.
Also - don't get sun on my patio area because it's underneath the deck. So I'm limited as to where I can have plants.

I don't have a yard but I have a small patio area and any plants I have to keep up high enough that my 90 pound dog doesn't pee on them. View attachment 56559 View attachment 56560View attachment 56561 View attachment 56562
Also have a little fairy garden. And I enjoy taking pictures from different angles of the plants and flowers - as in last picture.
Also - don't get sun on my patio area because it's underneath the deck. So I'm limited as to where I can have plants.

I don't have a yard but I have a small patio area and any plants I have to keep up high enough that my 90 pound dog doesn't pee on them. View attachment 56559 View attachment 56560View attachment 56561 View attachment 56562

I love your fairyland. I made places like that when I was a kid to play with my Barbie dolls and Troll dolls. One of my favorite things to do was to build little treehouses with little rope ladders in bushes for Barbie and her friends, and a camping area in deep green moss along a shady creek with rippling water over gravel. I really don't remember actually playing with the dolls like moving them around or talking for them, but spent much of my time building places for them to inhabit.

Our yards are huge and we own hundreds of acres, most of it timberland. I like to grow plants for food including all kinds of herbs, and flowers for the insects and hummingbirds. We don't do anything with the timberland and have no intention of ever cutting trees although it could generate a lot of money. The woods belong to nature, the pastures belong to our livestock for grazing, and the yards belong to me for gardening.

The hummingbirds are migrating to Central America now so I fill up their feeders every day with sugar water to help them on their way. They fly across the Gulf of Mexico!

Streetwise mentioned privet hedge. It is considered a scourge here because it is so invasive that it shades out and competes with our native plants. I pull it up by the roots in our yards, not that my effort makes much difference. It still comes up everywhere. I like to landscape with native plants that require little or no care such as oak leaf hydrangea and a beautiful shrub called chokeberry with stalks and limbs the color of rhubarb and berries that the birds love.
I wonder if privet is indigenous to the UK ?as it doesn’t seem to over compete !I have other species that have grown into the hedge.

1UdVrtUm.jpg
KyGtaoTm.jpg

I think my favorite plant is my morning glory. It never has been in optimal health but it's still growing. Clarks heavenly blue type. Then I have a spider plant that my chiropractor gave me. He's a cool person. As some may know, spider plants give lots of baby plants. And this baby grew very fast.

6opMwRbm.jpg
qHiWhjrm.jpg

My windowsill as it is right now. Succulents and cacti. Most of them I got while in Arizona. I anticipated living there for at least a few years, so I didn't resist getting cacti and wanted to collect them. We moved from there.

ijlplSam.jpg
BDmC7YPm.jpg

The fuzzy plant is borage. I have seeds and it's never failed to grow. It's edible and medicinal, the plants that grow from the seeds I have, seem extra pokey. So I sometimes just pick a flower and eat it. And lastly an old but better picture of the cacti, I still have all but the bright green succulent ice plant. I don't have a yard right now, a tiny space in front and I try to maintain it but there's nowhere to put brush trimmings and such. So I have my room to grow things. Here's specifically what I have: 2 angel wing/bunny ear cacti, golden barrel cactus (common in Arizona landscaping), unknown purple barrel cactus, cluster of old lady cacti, a single old lady, two key lime pie succulents, and a few odd succulents I found outside.
@Hareofhrair

I have a small front garden and a back garden that's bigger but still small, where I have little trees I have rescued and nurtured, also herbs and bay trees. I have just bought a fig to add it looks healthy and hardy. I like wild flowers and have grown beans and tomatoes in planters this year too.

I just got one side of our front garden free of weeds (some of which were as tall as me before my mom decided to at least cut them down:eek:). We're planning on getting some large pots to put in it and grow some things. My mom wants to put in some mums, since fall is coming up, and since I did most of the hard work, I will also get a say in what goes in it. I'll probably just go to a gardening store and see what looks nice and will fit the conditions, since I don't have anything in mind right now. I also have a cactus and some sort of succulent waiting to be planted and grown from seed.

I have a garden with various fruit and vegetables. We have (or had earlier in the summer) eggplants (we call these aubergines in Europe), tomatoes, cucumbers, peppers, chili peppers, lettuce, beetroot, carrots, radish, beans, courgettes, water melons, melons, kumquats and goji berries. Now time to start a winter garden, haven't yet decided what to put and what is viable.

Most of the yard around the house I live in is decorative plants and too much for me to take care of.
The man who owns the place had gardeners to come once a week to trim, pull weeds and mow the lawn.
I do manage to have a few areas I consider my own where I keep potted plants and various outdoor
plants plus I grow milkweed for the butterflies.
See if I can find a few photos here:
fortlonesome 006.JPG
fortlonesome 005.JPG
031.JPG
Monarch 003.JPG
Sandhill 002.JPG

D2DBF847-A335-4C98-9ADA-13746F87AF55.jpeg
1UdVrtUm.jpg
KyGtaoTm.jpg

I think my favorite plant is my morning glory. It never has been in optimal health but it's still growing. Clarks heavenly blue type. Then I have a spider plant that my chiropractor gave me. He's a cool person. As some may know, spider plants give lots of baby plants. And this baby grew very fast.

6opMwRbm.jpg
qHiWhjrm.jpg

My windowsill as it is right now. Succulents and cacti. Most of them I got while in Arizona. I anticipated living there for at least a few years, so I didn't resist getting cacti and wanted to collect them. We moved from there.

ijlplSam.jpg
BDmC7YPm.jpg

The fuzzy plant is borage. I have seeds and it's never failed to grow. It's edible and medicinal, the plants that grow from the seeds I have, seem extra pokey. So I sometimes just pick a flower and eat it. And lastly an old but better picture of the cacti, I still have all but the bright green succulent ice plant. I don't have a yard right now, a tiny space in front and I try to maintain it but there's nowhere to put brush trimmings and such. So I have my room to grow things. Here's specifically what I have: 2 angel wing/bunny ear cacti, golden barrel cactus (common in Arizona landscaping), unknown purple barrel cactus, cluster of old lady cacti, a single old lady, two key lime pie succulents, and a few odd succulents I found outside.
@Hareofhrair
what does is there fourth photo down? ,The leaves are a bit like an African violet:),The Clarks heavenly blue morning glory ☺️

I wonder if privet is indigenous to the UK ?as it doesn’t seem to over compete !I have other species that have grown into the hedge.

I think privet may have come from Asia originally. Here in the deep southern US (we live about 100 miles from the Gulf of Mexico), everything grows wildly because our climate is tropical. There are numerous invasive Asian imported plants that farmers struggle to control, including tallow trees, kudzu vines and honeysuckle vines. Privet may not take over your yard in the UK because your climate is colder than here?

Ca
1UdVrtUm.jpg
KyGtaoTm.jpg

6opMwRbm.jpg
qHiWhjrm.jpg

ijlplSam.jpg
BDmC7YPm.jpg

@Hareofhrair
1UdVrtUm.jpg
KyGtaoTm.jpg

6opMwRbm.jpg
qHiWhjrm.jpg

ijlplSam.jpg
BDmC7YPm.jpg

@Hareofhrair

Can you grow prickly pear cacti? The paddles (nopales) are delicious to eat and very nutritious. They taste a lot like lemony green beans with a little crunch factor and are commonly eaten in Mexico. Unfortunately, we have too much rainfall to grow them here so I buy them at the local Mexican food store.

I have a garden with various fruit and vegetables. We have (or had earlier in the summer) eggplants (we call these aubergines in Europe), tomatoes, cucumbers, peppers, chili peppers, lettuce, beetroot, carrots, radish, beans, courgettes, water melons, melons, kumquats and goji berries. Now time to start a winter garden, haven't yet decided what to put and what is viable.

Aren't you in Greece? You might be able to grow cucumbers and tomatoes year round there. In winter, I grow lettuces of all types, sugar snap peas, and radishes in big pots, and various kinds of greens such as kale, turnip, mustard and collard greens in the garden. I never have much luck with broccoli or cauliflower, don't know why.

I think privet may have come from Asia originally. Here in the deep southern US (we live about 100 miles from the Gulf of Mexico), everything grows wildly because our climate is tropical. There are numerous invasive Asian imported plants that farmers struggle to control, including tallow trees, kudzu vines and honeysuckle vines. Privet may not take over your yard in the UK because your climate is colder than here?
Yes it is a very temperate climate ,Im a hundred miles from the border of Scotland,Still experiencing climate change, I never understand why people think they will ever be able to eradicate privet you would have to dynamite it , I don’t know the other species I think one may be Ash, One is definitely elder , The monks brought it from France to make wine , it spread ,I’m glad I’ve kept it !,hedgerows are being destroyed at an alarming rate! blackbirds need the indigenous plants to nest in,Do you feel any more confident in trying to upload photographs you and I are you obviously from the generations that just didn’t have computers.

Aren't you in Greece? You might be able to grow cucumbers and tomatoes year round there. In winter, I grow lettuces of all types, sugar snap peas, and radishes in big pots, and various kinds of greens such as kale, turnip, mustard and collard greens in the garden. I never have much luck with broccoli or cauliflower, don't know why.
from what I know they have to be in my climate ,they appear to be the only vegetables that grow very well in the north-east of England as well as leeks , Australia was the same the turnips were very ,very small , do you have anywhere dark and cold they would probably like that from what I know broccoli is descended from seaweed ,cauliflower might be the same.

New Threads

Top Bottom