• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Fries poll!

French fries?

• Hell, yeah!

Votes: 18 85.7%
  • Hell, no!

Votes: 3 14.3%

• Total voters
I love good fries, but I rarely actually fry anything. I oven bake them instead. I preheat a sheet pan in the oven at 425 degrees F. Meanwhile, I cut the potatoes into wedges (I don't peel them), put them in a large bowl, add enough olive oil to lightly coat them, salt and pepper, and stir them up so they are all evenly coated. Then I dump the raw potatoes on the screaming hot sheet pan and spread them into a single layer (you will hear them sizzle when they hit the pan), return the pan to the oven. Stir and redistribute them on the pan about halfway through cooking. It takes about 40-45 minutes to cook them to the consistency I like. Cooking time will depend on your oven temperature and the size of the cut-up potatoes.

Sometimes I also add mixtures of garlic and onion powder, paprika, cayenne pepper and various Mexican chili powders for spice.

@tree - I guess you can't eat tomatoes, eggplant or any kind of nightshade plant, either. That would be hard for me!

I voted Hell no.

As a type 1 diabetic, I passionately avoid insulin resistance.

As @Au Naturel says, potatoes are good for you. Insulin resistance, which is very bad for everyone, but acutely bad for T1D's, is induced by fat.

The bulk of anything fried is fat. The potato in french fries is simply a carrier of that fat. The potato itself actually has very little fat. So little that potatoes cannot make anyone fat; its the frying and toppings that do that. The potato is only the added fat vehicle, but, unfortunately, always gets the blame.
As a Type II diabetic some potatoes tend to spike my blood sugar, like fries which I eat only once in a blue moon. I am surprised that Idaho Spuds freeze dried hash browns that I prepare with olive oil is well tolerated.

French fries are firstly not french ,first produced in Belguim .

Secondly chips are NOT french fries ,they are chipped(thus chips) potatoes ( the american version is called home fries ,just as americans fiercely protect and celebrate their nation, so do the British )not !nasty little very hard deep fried sticks of potato ,but much !larger !softer !,not cooked in evil chemicals, like mcdonalds french fries in the usa, but hot vegetable oil and salt and\or vinegar added by customer added according to preference maybe accompanied by a pie,pickled egg,battered: fish,sausage,fishcake,chicken strips,mushy (marrowfat peas that are cooked until they lose there globular form )peas ,sometimes indian type curry sauce,ketchup,brown hp\daddy's sauce (fruity \spicey\ vinegary ),cup of tea (English breakfast type tea with maybe milk to taste,if at a fish and chip cafe \restaurant typified by Home | Harry Ramsden's

@Mary Terry

Correct.
No potatoes, tomatoes, eggplant, peppers of any kind including paprika.
Being around a person who uses tobacco is out, too.

Yes, nightshades are also out for me. In addition to Type 1 Diabetes (and a few others), I also have Crohn's disease and nightshades are a catastrophic trigger.
(Please don't tell on me... because I think I have more diseases than the law allows.)

However, I still eat potatoes! Pretty much every meal. I just don't eat nightshade potatoes. I eat almost every type of sweet potato. My favorites are; Murasaki, Okinawa and Hannah. Jewels and Garnets are OK, but not my favorite.
I just bake and eat as is. Never add anything. I just love them and they work great keeping my blood sugar in sync.
I do like Jewels and Garnets raw as a snack. Like eating candy.

Big agreement regarding tobacco / nicotine users!!!

French fries are firstly not french ,first produced in Belguim .
Very true!!

I have an acquaintance who is from France. They think all the "French" names, like french fries, french doors, french drains, etc. etc. is funny. None are called that in France.

Five Guys regular, Arby's curly, McDonald's when hot and soft.
I can't stand crinkle cut or thin crispies either.
Agree with @Shaddock fries, bread, pizza, rolls, all must be soft to enjoy.

What is about crinkle fries? I feel the same way. I will eat a crinkle fry but l feel l was robbed of the fry experience. But Arby's curl fries that are spicy just great. But l to have cut back because l will resemble Ms. Potato head if l keep flipping them in my mouth.

So l eat huge amounts of sweet potatoes that are high in potassium and supply that sweet flavor.

I love the nightshade family of vegetables but they aren't good for aging bodies so l limit my use of them.

Last edited:
I stopped eating fries, in the last few years if given a choice prefer, baked potato, mashed potato. Just getting older.

This is probably the simplest poll I have ever come up with here.

Do you like French fries? Or chips, as they are referred to in some parts of the world?

I love them but they do not love me back.

I love ‘em at McDonald’s, I love ‘em as JoJos with fried chicken, I love seasoned curly fries at Arby’s, I love the Cajun fries at Five Guys.

And that is why I am currently overweight.

McDonalds fries are very good. How ever the rest of their menu does not measure up to the very good category.

McDonalds fries are very good. How ever the rest of their menu does not measure up to the very good category.
Call me strange, but, I grew up on Quarter Pounders with cheese.
Still love them. Also like the Crispy Chicken Deluxe. ;)

I love thin and crispy fries, hate thick and fluffy ones, or limp ones. So both, I guess. Crinkle fries are usually not crisp enough for me. Only acceptable toppings are salt either seasoned or plain, but a little salt makes a big difference to me. I detest sweet potatoes in any form.

New Threads

Top Bottom