• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Food Allergies, Psoriasis, Sleep Apnea, and Low Testosterone

Rasputin

ASD / Aspie
V.I.P Member
I read where research had led conclusions that Food Allergies, psoriasis, sleep apnea, and low testosterone seem to be associated with ASD. These are issues that I have, and I was curious if any other members of this forum have these issues?

Also regarding scalp Psoriasis, has anyone found a treatment that is effective!

The only food allergy I have is nuts. I have trouble getting good sleep consistently, but I don't believe I have sleep apnea. I'm not aware of having low testosterone or psoriasis. I do have problems with rashes and skin itchiness, but I don't think it is Psoriasis.

The only food allergy I have is nuts. I have trouble getting good sleep consistently, but I don't believe I have sleep apnea. I'm not aware of having low testosterone or psoriasis. I do have problems with rashes and skin itchiness, but I don't think it is Psoriasis.

I did not develop psoriasis until I was in my 40s. My father and his brother also had psoriasis. From age 9 - 17 I had severe urticaria. I hope you do not ever get psoriasis.

My daughter had psoriasis, and l bought jojoba oil by Kiss My Face company, you use to be able to buy in store. But hers was only in between her fingers. That is a miracle oil but make sure it isn't rancid.
It seems to be effective on many different things re: skin. Your best bet to massage it in to scalp, maybe wrap microwaved towel around head to open up pores after you applied. Maybe 10 mins. Then wash out. Maybe try every nite, give it a week to see if working.Also make sure you aren't using hair products that are changing your PH balance. Just a shot at this,but this isn't medical advice. A lot of people swear by Tree oil as being very effective as skin treatment.

Last edited:
My daughter had psoriasis, and l bought jojoba oil by Kiss My Face company, you use to be able to buy in store. But hers was only in between her fingers. That is a miracle oil but make sure it isn't rancid.
It seems to be effective on many different things re: skin. Your best bet to massage it in to scalp, maybe wrap microwaved towel around head to open up pores after you applied. Maybe 10 mins. Then wash out. Maybe try every nite, give it a week to see if working.Also make sure you aren't using hair products that are changing your PH balance. Just a shot at this,but this isn't medical advice. A lot of people swear by Tree oil as being very effective as skin treatment.

I appreciate the information. I am quickly learning that ASD is a lot more than just neurodvelopment issues. It includes metabolic processes and chemical reactions that are influenced by one's DNA. Medical science is still in the dark ages.

With me, the neurodevelopment issues began when I was 3-4 years old when I was found to be severely anemic. The B vitamins are essential for proper nervous system development, but I am not able to metabolize the common forms of folate and B12 due to three gene mutations. I suspect others have similar issues, but doctors do not generally order DNA tests.

I take a B complex vitamin Methyl Folate+, Methylcobalamin, and L- Arginine to help the psoriasis. My aunt gave her autistic brother these supplements, and his psoriasis has cleared up; he has suffered with this for over 40 years and does not have Medicare benefits. His doctor is amazed and asked my aunt what he did; she told him so maybe it will help others. For some reason my psoriasis has not cleared completely

Last edited:
I read where research had led conclusions that Food Allergies, psoriasis, sleep apnea, and low testosterone seem to be associated with ASD. These are issues that I have, and I was curious if any other members of this forum have these issues?
Food allergies? No.
Psoriasis? Some.
Sleep apnea? Yes.
Low testosterone? I only had 11 kids...

Food allergies? Not significant. Mild allergy to some nuts only developed later in life.
Psoriasis? No.
Sleep apnea? No.
Low testosterone? Not that I know of.

Food allergies - No
Psoriasis - No
Sleep apnoea - No
Low testosterone - Not that I know of. I'm a woman though, so the levels would be different.

Re: your scalp issues, as mentioned previously tea tree oil can be effective. Snake oil is also worth trying. A few years back, a friend had very bad dandruff and used a snake oil shampoo bar from Lush. It's inexpensive and it worked for her.

Food allergies - No
Psoriasis - No
Sleep apnoea - No
Low testosterone - Not that I know of. I'm a woman though, so the levels would be different.

Re: your scalp issues, as mentioned previously tea tree oil can be effective. Snake oil is also worth trying. A few years back, a friend had very bad dandruff and used a snake oil shampoo bar from Lush. It's inexpensive and it worked for her.

I already use tea tree oil and have used coconut oil with Shea Butter, with limited success. Stress seems to be a big trigger.

I have none of those issues. I also have no gut issues. But I do have chronic insomnia, with both trouble falling asleep and staying asleep, so bad that if I don't take meds that help somewhat, I'm lucky to get half an hour of total sleep a night. With meds, I still wake often and have trouble getting to sleep, can be in bed for ten hours but probably get closer to six hours of sleep. I'm looking into having a sleep study done soon.

I have none of those issues. I also have no gut issues. But I do have chronic insomnia, with both trouble falling asleep and staying asleep, so bad that if I don't take meds that help somewhat, I'm lucky to get half an hour of total sleep a night. With meds, I still wake often and have trouble getting to sleep, can be in bed for ten hours but probably get closer to six hours of sleep. I'm looking into having a sleep study done soon.

I have the same problem you have, even with a BIPAP machine. I will wake up within an hour of falling asleep, will get up on average three or four times each night, and end up with 4-5 hours of broken sleep. So what I am saying is that even with treatment for sleep apnea it hasn't resolved my sleep problems.

I see a new primary care doctor on Wednesday, and plan to discuss this. I have an app on my phone that tracks my sleep, and it will demonstrate this. I have decided to at least mention my concern that I am on the ASD spectrum but undiagnosed for 61 years. I have all of the common symptoms people speak of on this forum, plus I have physical symptoms often associated with ASD. I am just tired of hiding this, but want to make it clear that I am not willing to spend a lot of money out of pocket and I want this handled discreetly. I am not sure what else I can do.

Actually, I averaged 4.4 hours sleep during the last week. This past Monday I got 3 hours of broken sleep, and worked a full day the next day.

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom