• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Focus / Studying - Meares-Irlen

danielcollins

I've had terrible problems studying in the past, sorta fumbled my way through school and luckily came out with two very low grade results after leaving early due to bullying/poor management at the school.

I really really want to be able to focus, study and even read in general but I really don't have the attention span for it. There's so many books I'd like to read but I just can't.

Think I may have something called Meares-Irlen syndrome, after doing lots of research it best fits the issues I've had with focus.. poor listening comprehension.. words jumbling around on the page, dizziness etc.

Just wondered if anyone else with similar problems have been able to study? any good tips or places which might be able to help me?

I never heard of this so I went googling the symptoms and such, I ended up on this on this page Meares-Irlen Syndrome, Dyslexia Scotwest ... I can identify with it all (some major and some to some lesser extent)

Though I've been diagnosed with AD(H)D and thus that's what psychologists think my "problem" is. But besides that, I also have issues dealing with light in general.

When I read I do so on my ipad and I tend to inverse the colors so I'm reading white on black rather than the regular black on white.

Perhaps I would qualify as having this syndrome, but it might very well be this and AD(H)D as well. That's when it becomes a blurry line I guess.

I haven't found a comfortable position reading yet, books aren't good but I've found a very very large font helps stopping the words shaking and generally dancing around the page.

Might try inverting the text like you said on my PC and see if that helps on my day to day bits, reading technical manuals at the moment are a big issue for me..

I've thought I've had ADHD but I'm not sure.. I'm very fidgety and don't really sit still for a long time (including at work)

Sounds very familiar but I didn't even know about AS till a couple of months ago. I was enrolled in uni but was kicked out because of low grades. I was not able to read all the course work. When I was in school I was unable to do all the assignments I was unable concentrate enough

Sounds very familiar but I didn't even know about AS till a couple of months ago. I was enrolled in uni but was kicked out because of low grades. I was not able to read all the course work. When I was in school I was unable to do all the assignments I was unable concentrate enough

Have a look into it, I'm waiting to be assessed for the syndrome next month I'm hoping it helps me focus and achieve a little bit more of what I want.

I can't remember if I had ADHD, I need to speak to my mum about it as that may well have an effect on what I can get help with.. I did do the open university which is a home study university but the reading was very difficult.

I want to learn, and I know that sometimes you have to learn something irrelevant to then understand the relevant but retaining the information in the first time around is really difficult. Information retention is very poor.

New Threads

Top Bottom