• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Flag Design

zurb

Eschewer of Obfuscation
images

If one of these flags represents you or your country, please don't respond for a couple of days. Thanks.
No googling.... and please reply before reading other posts.
What country or countries do you think these flags represent?
What do you like or dislike about these flags?
Are they well designed? Why or why not?
Any other comments?

Last edited:
I know the story behind this, so I won't address what country is involved.

I'm all for getting rid of colonial nonsense, but they're both just a little too busy. At least the one on the left does something original.

There was a lot of nastiness when Canada got their own flag in 1965. The Conservatives really wanted their blue on the flag. The Liberals, not so much. As you may notice, someone eventually did come up with an original and simple design that works. (The general consensus is that the Canadian flag is good, but not quite great.)

What country or countries do you think these flags represent?
What do you like or dislike about these flags?
Are they well designed? Why or why not?
  1. The one on the right looks like Australia or nearby. I don't recognize the one on the left.
  2. Neither like nor dislike either of them.
  3. Left, no. Reproducing the [fern] will be highly subjective. Right, yes. All of its elements are geometrically reproducible.

I can tell that the one on the right is a British colony, which may or may not have gained independence. The one on the left is clearly the flag of an independent nation, who seem to have a thing for ferns and stars. (And I think I can guess which country it is, but I'm not quite sure).

Since the purpose of a flag is to identify a country, I would have to say that the one on the right is badly designed. Flags are a form of communication, and the one on the right communicates nothing about the people who hold it; rather, it's saying something about Great Britain. So it's really not very effective or useful.

Both are flags of New Zealand, the one on the right being the one they have now, the one on the left being the favoured one to replace the other. I didn't need to "Google" this, because we - in Australia - know all about the plans they have to get rid of a flag that many of them think is "too British". I think they should keep the one they now have. There is nothing wrong with belonging to an empire, their heritage is not something they should be ashamed of.

The one on the left is very very pretty. The one on the right is okay, but not as pretty.

I think the one on the right is New Zealand (my apologies to any citizens if that's wrong!) What "story?" I haven't heard yet, but since you mentioned a "story," they must be connected-perhaps people are proposing a flag change?

Ste11aeres, yes, they've been thinking about changing the flag for quite some time now, from the one on the right to (perhaps) the one on the left.

The story, as has been said, is that NZ is in the middle of a referendum on changing the flag. One of the main drivers has been that many people can't tell the old one (on right) from the Australian flag. This was emphasized recently by a Vietnam veteran who said the flag was often confused by other troops as either UK or Australia. As soon as they hung a silver fern, people knew who they were – hence my post.
A lot of people want change, but at the same time are not happy with the process, which will be reflected in the voting.
As a flag, the new design is not great, but IMO almost anything is better than the old one.

Last edited:
Some of the long listed designs did indeed have the koru (unfurling fern) and traditional colours. But then the design also needs to be inclusive.
It fascinates me that many kiwis seem to think that the Southern Cross is somehow distinctive of NZ when it can be seen by any country in the southern hemisphere, and appears on other national flags.

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom